It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• the WORST menstrual pain...need help...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
    buddahroo
    (female)

buddahroo HB User
    Unhappy the WORST menstrual pain...need help...

Hey ladies, this is my first post so bear with me as my story is somewhat long.

I guess first I should give you a brief gynecological history. In 1990, when I was 20, I had a large dermoid cyst removed from my left ovary. Nothin unusual there, except I was on the pill at the time and I heard the likelihood of developing cysts when on BC was somewhat rare. Ha. Needless to say, I went about my life as normal.
    I've always been one to suffer through my period, bad cramping, heavy flow, etc. However, for the past 6 or so months my periods have become very strange. Although they do come regularly, (every 28 days or so), things have changed alot. About a day or 2 before I fully bleed, I get a very dark brown discharge (quite similar to the last day or 2 of one's cycle), along with pain situated only on the right side. My last period was the worst so far. It started at work (without any blood flow) and spread down my right leg and went right through my lower back. I could barely sit down as every time I did it felt like something was trying to burst out of my lower abdomen. By the time I got to the doc's (emerg appt) I was spotting slightly and the brown discharge had a slight odor to it. As soon as she pressed down on my abdomen I just about jumped off the table; the pain was horrendous. Weirdest of all, is that the menstrual cramps and the burning hot pain never go any further than the right side. I have not had menstrual cramps or pain of any kind on my left side (not for quite the longest time now), and the leg pain is always on the right. She set me up for an ultrasound, gave me prescription for T3's, and sent me home.
    The next day, when my period came on full force, I could not move. My leg felt as if it was on fire and even the feel of my pajama bottoms brushing against my leg caused me to cry out in pain. In total I missed 2 1/2 days of work on account of it. The results of the ultrasound were somewhat confusing. Uterus normal size and shape, but my right ovary is much larger than the left (maybe the cyst removal has something to do with it, I dunno).
    Another thing I noticed is right above the incision line, from the cyst removal, on the right hand side, I have a slight bulge; it sticks out whereas on the left side it almost caves in. Very strange indeed.
    And today, its the onset of my period, the whole ugly cycle has started up again; searing, stabbing pain only on right side, shoots down leg, very slight flow so far; until tommorrow of course, when I'll be changing my pad as often as I breathe.
    Anyhoo, I see the gynecologist on Wed to discuss the matter further as something like this cannot possibly be normal. I'm 35 and never had children (but would love to). I guess I just need some advice on what steps to take to diagnose this. I'm just terrified that the dr will poopoo me and tell me that I'm just getting older or something like it just being a string of bad periods.
    I don't wanna jump the gun and cry endometriosis without a proper diagnosis but my symptoms kind of sway in it's favour.
    Any advice is good advice, and if anyone can relate please reply....

Sorry for the rambling post!!!!!

buddahroo..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
    STAYINALIVE8
    (female)

STAYINALIVE8 HB User
    Re: the WORST menstrual pain...need help...

First off I want to say I am sorry that you have had so much trouble and pain. It is hard to deal with when you don't know what exactly is going on. I can not tell you if you have endo but, I can say it sounds very much like it. My best friend has had endo for 6yrs now. She is 23yrs old. She complains that her left side hurts all of the time. Unfortunatly the only way they will be able to tell you if you do indeed have endo is by a laporoscapy. An out patient surgery. There could be lesions that are only effecting your right ovary. This is not to say that it could be a possible reacurring cyst. As for the leg pain, I myself deal with it every month but not to the extent that you just explained. I would definitly talk to your gyno about it. I hope you get some answers. Let me know how it goes and good luck Nicole

Old 11-29-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
    mperrin

mperrin HB User
    Re: the WORST menstrual pain...need help...

Hi,
    First of all I hope you get the help you need. I haven't experienced what you have, but I have experienced good health care providers. I've had problems in the past and my doctors have been proactive and not put me off or whatever. When I am in pain, it is probably a lot worse than I even think and my doctors know that.

If your gyno doesn't take a look at the problem, maybe it is time to look elsewhere. It isn't easy finding a good doc, but try as many sources as you can. A local magazine around here puts out a list every year of the "Top Docs" in our area. For myself and my family we have been fortunate to have been led to a few of those doctors.

I hope you find the answers you need. You shouldn't be suffering so much each month. If your doctor isn't listening to you, then you need to find one who is going to listen to you, go over your history with you, and examine you completely.

Let us know what happens. ~~M

Closed Thread