It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Has anyone ever gotten pregnant while taking lupron?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
    MsLadie
    (female)

MsLadie HB User
    Question Has anyone ever gotten pregnant while taking lupron?

Hi, I'm new to this board. I was diagonised with endometriosis in October. My Dr. put me on Lupron in November. I'm not trying to get pregnant right now, but have really been trying to avoid getting pregnant. I was just wondering, if Lupron stops your period, & the side effects are similar to pregnancy symptoms, how would you know if you have gotten pregnant while taking lupron?

Any advice is helpful!!

~MsLadie~

Last edited by MsLadie; 12-16-2004 at 06:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2004, 09:45 PM   #2
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User
    Re: Has anyone ever gotten pregnant while taking lupron?

apparently you havent been on lupron long enough to feel any effects from it yet. are you taking the kind that you have injections monthly...or every 3 months?

the only thing I can tell you about pregnancy is...do whatever is necessary to make sure you DO NOT become pregnant while this is in your system..it will be in your system longer than you may realize. I was to have 2 injections (one in August and one in November)...I refused to take the November injection due to the MAJOR hot flashes that it caused. Here it is Dec. 19th--and my period has yet to return...so until I have at least 2 normal periods...I have to take precautions. The doctors strongly advise that you do not take any chances of becoming pregnant while on the Lupron because of the harmful effects it could have on the fetus. I had very low sexual desire prior to the injection (this go round)...and the injection made my desire even worse.....my hubby and I didnt do anything at all for 4 months! but that also helped to ensure that pregnancy didnt occur. I am slowly getting some desire back...so I know the Lupron is getting out of my system..slowly..but surely.

I have had endo for 11 years....have had 3 lap surgeries..and this was my 2nd dealings with Lupron..the first time was in 2000....I took the shot every month for 6 months. It helped alot!!! Started having problems again early in 2004--got real bad...so had another lap in May....and started the Lupron in August. So, I can probably help you with alot of your questions.

Old 12-19-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
    MsLadie
    (female)

MsLadie HB User
    Unhappy Re: Has anyone ever gotten pregnant while taking lupron?

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I haven't been on it long at all, just got my second shot at the beginning of the month. I get the shot monthly for 6 months. The only problem I'm having is that I'm still having my periods. They haven't stopped, & I'm still having a lot of pain some days. I kind of feel like it's pointless to be on it if I'm still in pain along with some of the side effects from lupron. My Dr. says my body is just warming up to the meds that's why I'm still having my periods & and that it may take up to my 3rd or 4th shot before it completely stops. That's a waste to me especially if I'm only on the shot for 6 months, that gives me only 2 months of total relief & it's a possibility it could come back after I'm finished with the injections. This really sucks!!

What about fatigue? Did you have it real bad? Because I've had to miss 2 days of work & school, just because I was tired.

Old 12-19-2004, 05:25 PM   #4
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

it seems like i had a period for a month when i was on the monthly injection...but i can say for certain that it had it 3 weeks this last time with the injection that i was to take every 3 months. eventually your period should subside..and you will feel much better. try to keep in mind that it will take time for the injections to get out of your system..so even if you were to have a period for a month or two....you wont get it for about 2-3 months after taking the last injection. so, you should still get the benefit of not having periods and pain for awhile. it does get aggravating not knowing how much longer you will be bleeding...but it is worth it in the end......providing that the hot flashes dont get so bad that you are miserable. i can remember the hot flashes were irritating with the monthly injections..but i was more than totally miserable with the one i was taking this time..i guess cause it was stronger and more potent...which is why i refused to take the 2nd round of it. good luck..and i do hope that eventually you will see results. i can remember this time that i called my gyn and asked if there was anything that they could give me to get the injection out of my system..because like you...i was in so much pain and thought that was defeating the whole purpose of the shot....but eventually the pain and the period subsided. take care and merry christmas.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:34 AM   #5
    ugotcarrie
    (female)

ugotcarrie HB User

Yes you can get pregnant by using Lupron. Its in the flier near the end of all that fine print.

Lupron works by shrinking fibroids or leasions so l think thats why it took so long to work for you but you will get the rewards on the other end because it might stop your peroid for longer than the shots.

My hot flashes stopped by the third shot. (for hot flashes put a damp face cloth in a ziplock bag and freeze) My saving grace was I knew they wouldn't last long. Also take Calicum and drink lots of milk as lupron depleats a SMALL amount of it.

Also I found the 1 months shot lasted me 3 months.

I know all the pain and blood stopped while on the med for me. I felt great like I didnt have any problems.

I have fibroids and they gave me a progesteron filled IUD to shrink them. So far so good.

Last edited by ugotcarrie; 12-20-2004 at 03:43 AM.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:46 AM   #6
    ugotcarrie
    (female)

ugotcarrie HB User

The tiredness COULD be from blood loss. I lost a LOT so my Dr put me on iron.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:47 PM   #7
    MsLadie
    (female)

MsLadie HB User

Thank you so much for all the info provided. I'm really concerned about this disease & am finding out more about it everyday. I'm really shocked at how many women are suffering from this. I just pray that I won't have to undergo this for years & years, like some ladies have. I really feel for them. I think my main concern is having children. I really hope I don't have any problems in doing so with this disease. My Dr. informed me that the endo was located in my bladder & bowel & so therefore my "baby-making tools" (as my mom calls it) are fine. But I hadn't conceived yet. I just really hope it doesn't happen while I'm on these meds. I haven't really found any relieve yet, but I really hope it's coming!!!

Again thank you guys so much for all your advice.

Does anyone know what could be done for my fatigue. That's also killing me. I've been taking One A Day vitamins but they don't seem to work either. I really don't know what to do.

Last edited by MsLadie; 12-20-2004 at 02:48 PM.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

In case you havent been told, there is no cure for endo...only treatment to relieve the symptoms. As far as having kids, hmmmm...I was VERY lucky and had one at 18 and another at 21. Had I been more concerned about a career, and postponed having kids....I would have made a MAJOR mistake. I have had endo since just before getting pregnant with my 2nd daughter...almost 11 years ago. When she was 3, we decided to try for a 3rd child.......8 years later...nothing. We havent used any kind of protection for 8 years. So, if you REALLY want a family..I would not postpone it any longer than necessary. Most women do have a BIG problem conceiving. So please think about this. I thank God every day that I had my kids when I was young, instead of focusing on a career and money.

Old 12-20-2004, 06:04 PM   #9
    MsLadie
    (female)

MsLadie HB User
    Angry Re: Has anyone ever gotten pregnant while taking lupron?

Wow, so you mean I'm going to have to deal with this for the rest of my life? OH MY GOODNESS!! How is anyone suppose to have a life if every other day they're in pain. I just got married in August & started having problems in September, we have not been able to enjoy marriage for me running to the Dr. every other week & in pain the weeks I'm not at the Dr. This really sucks, there is no possible way I can endure this for the rest of my life. I am going to really do some praying that God take the pain away b/c I really want a family & I can't be a good mom & wife if I'm always in pain. I do want kids but right now my husband & I really think we should wait. Actually, I wouldn't mind any right now, but my husband wants to wait until we are better off financially, which I certainly understand. I'm just real concern that this endo is cutting into my new happy little life!!

I'm sorry for venting, but I have nobody else to talk too. Nobody really understands what I'm feeling. Sometimes I don't even think my husband is too concern (which I know he is, that just might be the lupron talking). I often feel like the pain is all in my head & I'm really not feeling it. I just don't know what to do. I've been on the lupron for 2 months now, & have not received any relief. I just don't know what to do. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one going through this.

Thanks for listening, sorry so long also!!

Old 12-20-2004, 07:06 PM   #10
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

Try to remember that the lupron will help the pain eventually, and it should help for awhile. It lasted almost 4 years for me, before I had problems again. When I had my first lap surgery 10 years ago, my GYN told me that I had 10% chance of it ever returning. Sounded great, huh?.....The very next month....PAIN again! I have a different GYN now, and when he done the surgery this past May...he informed me that he got all that was visible...BUT..endo hides in places that no doctor can get to, therefore the dr cannot see it to remove it, which most likely explains why I still had pain the very first time I ever had the lap done. As far as delaying children until you are "financially able"----what if you are never "financially ready"?? Couples always make this decision based on finances! If you have a child when you are not "financially able"---TRUST ME...it works out! It always does and always will. You may have to make more sacrifices than you would if you waited until you become "rich" so to speak...but I would rather make the sacrifices and not risk not being able to have children...than to wait to see if I ever get to "living comfortably". When my hubby and I had our first daughter...it was totally unplanned..very unexpected! Honestly, we were dating at the time. He did not have a steady job...he had 5 different jobs at one time...none of which were permenant positions...ex: substitute teacher, tutor 2 times a week, professor at a college teaching Phys. Ed. 3 nights a week, measuring tobacco land and was a small tobacco farmer. Between all of those jobs, his income our first year of marriage was $15,000. I look back now and wonder how in the heck did we manage????!!!--but we did. We lived in a nice apartment..it was not crappy by no means....it wasnt extravagant...but it wasnt even close to being a dump. We had our second child almost 3 years later, my hubby then got a full time permenant position...giving up the college job, tutoring job and the substituting....then the next year we had our home built. All of this was done within 4 years of marriage. We still struggle today, just as we did back then...but we made it...and we have alot to show for it too. so i wouldnt advise anyone to wait until you are financially able...because if you are like most people...that day may never really come. and i especially wouldnt advise a woman with endo to wait!

After I learned that I had endo....and seeing after 8 years no pregnancy has resulted...I thank God I had kids early on....and you know what???? I dream of my girls going to college and really making a great future for themselves...BUT...if they were to ever mess up and get pregnant at a young age....(which so far, they seem to have a great head on their shoulders!!!) I will not be upset in any way...because endo is hereditary....and I would rather them end up with a child at a young age...than waiting til they are 30 and find out that they cant have kids. Had I waited until I was 23 or 24 to start a family..guess what???? It would have never happened for me. I would have lost my chance to experience that great joy of becoming a mother. Women take their fertility time for granted....they always "KNOW" that they have time to wait....when reality is....you never know what is in your future that will affect your chance at having babies. My niece has been married for 8 years now...she is almost 30 years old....no kids....they want them...but they want to wait!!????...for what??? to possibly learn that her body may not support her urge to have kids?? It just would not be worth that chance to me.

I am not trying to push you or your hubby into rushing into this....I just feel that both you and your hubby needs to understand that knowing you have endo....that alone reduces your chances of conceiving...and your hubby may not be aware of that. dont just take my word for it....research it....you will find that most women who have endo has difficulty getting pregnant (taking years to finally conceive) ...and some just simply cant get pregnant. You two, as a couple, need to decide if it will be worth it to you to take the chance of waiting...and note that you will also be taking a very good chance that pregnancy will be even more difficult to achieve the longer you have endo. When women are first diagnosed with endo...it is not stressed to them as to how it will affect their ability to conceive..and it really should. When my youngest daughter was just a baby...my GYN told me my best chances to conceive would be within the next 2 years.....well..gee..my baby was still a baby..I wasnt ready to have another one!!! Well.....when she was 2....we tried....and tried...and tried....and eventually faced it that it was not going to happen. 8 years later...we are still hanging onto the hope that maybe??? one day we will get surprised.. but I am not going to cling to that hope. I have given up...and am now focusing on looking forward to what the rest of my life has in store for me. I am here to tell you...knowing and seeing month to month the heartbreaking feeling of not being pregnant when you so desperately want to be.....one just does not know how painful it is to not be able to get pregnant....until they have been through it. I am here to tell you...it is HARD! I gave up after about 6 years of trying..that it will ever happen. I either had to let it go and give up the idea....or it was going to ruin my life. My hubby and I do not use BC...so there is always the chance that someday..I might get pregnant....but...I am not counting on it...so if it doesnt happen....I am ok with it now. It took me 6 long, heartbreaking years to have that attitude.

Old 12-20-2004, 08:05 PM   #11
    MsLadie
    (female)

MsLadie HB User

Thank you so much for that advice, I'm gonna talk to my hubby about over the next week or so. Right now, I'm in too much pain to even "do" anything about it now. Anyway!!

Well lucky for you they were able to remove some of your endo. Mine is too close to my bladder & bowel & the Dr. doesn't want to risk the chance of damaging those organs so she didn't touch it. I guess, I need to start dealing with the fact that this is not going to go away, & just deal with it. I'm really glad you took the time out to share information.

Old 12-21-2004, 03:19 PM   #12
    kermitjmb

kermitjmb HB User
    Post Re: Has anyone ever gotten pregnant while taking lupron?

Hi. I just recieved my 2nd Lupron shot on the 8th of this month. The first month I had *many* hot flashes. They seem to have calmed down a bit. I have endo as well. I have had it for four years and have had 2 laps done. My doctor did tell me to use extra precaution for birth control....I came off the pill to go on Lupron. Good luck!!

Closed Thread