It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• polyscystic ovarian disease and cortisol???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
    siddymae
    (female)

siddymae HB User
    Angry polyscystic ovarian disease and cortisol???

I have pcod and i was thinking about that being related to my weight gain and then cortisol popped into my head. so i got on the net and looked at the relation between the 2 and it was i suspected that it was related. no one in my family is heavy set except for me. i eat pretty healthy . i eat soy mainly. drink flavored water. vegetables. i dont eat much bread.

i have been tested for being insulin resistant and it came back negative. i have dieted and what have you and still cant seem to lose weight.
    i know if i asked a nutritionist if i should take some of these new diet pills that block out cortisol or however it works they would be like no dont do that so i want some opinions.

please respond!!! thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 08:43 AM   #2
    SwtHeart83
    (female)

SwtHeart83 HB User
    Wink Re: polyscystic ovarian disease and cortisol???

Hello.. I read your post, and I also have PCOD. After an extensive talk w/ my OBGYN... And much researching... I found out that obesiety was one of the number one symptoms of the disease. My OBGYN also told me that it is ten times harder for individuals w/ PCOD to lose weight than an individual w/out it!! During my senior year of high school I gained almost 50 pounds (w/out my eating habits chaging at all.) I have consulted a doctor in reguards to a diet before... Most docotors and nutrition aids have recommended the same diet that a diabetic would be on! You may have your insulin levels retested! It is very common to have low insulin levels w/ PCOD. I also take a B-12 vitimin daily to help my metabolism. *swtheart83*

Old 01-25-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
    siddymae
    (female)

siddymae HB User
    Re: polyscystic ovarian disease and cortisol???

wow i didnt know that b 12 helps. i had my insulin levels tested at one time and apparently they came back normal. so that must no be an issue. but i have tried tried and tried to lose weight i was even up for weight loss surgery but my insurance wouldnt approve because im not diabetic yet. any other suggestions?

Old 01-26-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User
    Re: polyscystic ovarian disease and cortisol???

Actually anyone who is suspected of PCOS but doesn't have a 100% clear cut case should be tested for Cushings. The symptoms are so similar it is easy to mistake one for the other. Cushings, if left untreated, is life threatening.
    As far as the cortisol blocking supplements, my only hope is that they don't do what they say. At normal levels cortisol is LIFE SUSTAINING. If it is elevated, there is nothing to do but seek immediate medical care because it is very serious. Possible symptoms of elevation are thinning skin and easy bruising, acne, weight gain in the abdomen and thinning of the arms and legs, irregular periods, a rounding of the face, and a hump on the back of your neck.
    The only symptom I have is acne, but I have Cushings. For a year I was given a PCOS diagnosis until a doctor thought to check my cortisol (knowing I have a pituitary tumor). I hope that helps!

Closed Thread