It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Abnormal Pap Test???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
    notperfect

notperfect HB User
    Abnormal Pap Test???

I received an abnormal Pap Result from my gyn. approximately 4 months ago.
    The gyn.'s nurse called and told me the results. She said it was "not a big deal", and there was "just a little inflammation or irritation", and it was "nothing to worry about", they just wanted to "make sure and keep an eye on things." I also have a follow up appointment later in the week.
    When I found out the results, I of course, became concerned. I did a little research and found a few of the most common cause for an abnormal Pap is either PID or HPV! So... I researched each of those and came back still as confused as ever. I have NO other symptoms of either of these... except the abnormal Pap. Anyone have any comments/suggestions/questions I should ask the doctor? Any or all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
    Neverenoughslee
    (female)

Neverenoughslee HB User
    Re: Abnormal Pap Test???

Basically, when you have a pap smear, they are taking a sample of cervix cells and looking for cell changes on your cervix that can lead to cancer.

atypical squamous cells basically means that they found some cells that are in the abnormal range. Now dont worry, this is VERY common, and the whole point of routine pap smears.

Cervical cancer is typically slow to move. So any changes should be further examined and you should be re-tested every 3-6 months depending.

Your gyno may want to do a procedure called a Colposcopy. This is basically a quick and simple biopsy of the abnormal cells on the cervix to tell if they are actually dyslpasia or not. (dysplasia is precancerous cell changes). Again, even if you have dysplasia, that doesnt mean you have cancer. They just want to stay on top of it so down the road, it doesnt turn to cancer.

Also, not all abnormal cells are dysplasia...and not all dysplasia turns to cancer.
    Its all preventative and nothing to worry about. Just stay on top of it with your doctor.

As for an STD, there has been a correlation between abnormal paps and HPV (human Papiloma Virus). This sounds ALOT worse than it is. It is VERY common, and most women dont even know they have it.

Ask your doctor when you see him again about HPV and your chances of having it. They can even do a test on your cells now to see if you have the DNA strain that links to HPV or leads to cancerous changes. Its painless and down with your pap.

If you need a Colposcopy, I have had 3 of them, so I can walk you through it, no problems. It really helps to have someone tell you what to expect and I would gladly do that.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
    nastabasta
    Inactive
    (female)

nastabasta HB User
    Re: Abnormal Pap Test???

i had an abnormal pap test last year and i was told to repeat in 3 months. i was also really worried but my gyne assured me that this is very common. she said that it can sometimes even be caused by something as harmless and having rough sex with my hubby the night before. or if you've just had a yeast infection and are still inflamed in there you can get an abnormal reading. so try not to worry too much until you get your results. i hope you're healthy and best of luck

Old 02-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
    kermitjmb

kermitjmb HB User
    Post Re: Abnormal Pap Test???

I had an abnormal pap due to HPV. I had a colposcopy done a couple of months ago and it is really nothing. HPV is very common..1 in 3 people are carriers or have it. Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread