It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Draining a cyst??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2005, 06:42 PM   #1
    sonic
    Veteran
    (female)

sonic HB User
    Question Draining a cyst??

Hi all..
    .I was just at my dr's for results of an ultrasound..i have a golf ball size cyst on my ovarie. it does cause some pain every now & then (lots during sex)
    he said to get another ultrasound in 3 months,,,& IF it hasnt changed or gets bigger he will "drain" the cyst!
    {removed}
    Ive never heard of this...has anyone had this done before?,,,& why cant i just leave it alone? It is liquid filled... I also have endometriosis.
    Thanks~

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 05-16-2005 at 07:36 PM. Reason: If you know the word will be censored dont use it even if you censor it yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
    sonic
    Veteran
    (female)

sonic HB User
    Re: Draining a cyst??

Oh,,I was also wondering if anyone has had a cyst rupture? Did you have to go to a hospital? & how painful was it?
    Thanks~

Old 05-20-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
    gingertea
    Veteran
    (female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I don't know anything about draining a cyst, but I have had two cysts rupture. The pain is not horrific, just bothersome. The first few days the pain started in the area of the ovary and radiated down my leg. Then it just felt like ovulation. Intercourse was uncomfortable. Your body eventually absorbs all the liquid and the pain stops. Both ruptured cysts were on my left side. I also have cysts on my right side, but I was told these are more 'cushioned' by other body parts and don't rupture as much. My doctor keeps track of them with transvaginal ultrasounds, but has never mentioned draining one. Now I'm curious about draining! Are you old enough to be in perimenopause/menopause? I had neither cysts or fibroids until 6 months ago. I am 53 and the cysts/fibroids started the same time my period became unpredictable. The doctor can see the ruptured cyst with a vaginal ultrasound...and mine always follows up 6 weeks later to make sure all the liquid has absorbed. Hope this helps......and I hope you get the draining question answered also, cause now I want to know how they do it!

Old 05-20-2005, 06:32 PM   #4
    sonic
    Veteran
    (female)

sonic HB User

Thanks gingertea,,,thaT is somewhat re-asuring. Im 46 & NOT even close to menopause as I had thought I was. Im actually looking forward to menopause b/c it helps with Endometriosis.

I had an internal ultrasound on day 3 of my period, so my Dr. said the cyst SHOULD have been gone,,,hence the need for another in 3 months.
    I hope it just "disapears"... :s

Old 06-30-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
    darla987
    (female)

darla987 HB User

Hello Sonic,

I just recently had a dermoid cysts the size of a small basketball (14cm By 14 cm )removed, along with my right ovary and right Fallopian tube...

If the cyst that you have are small enough they can be drained. I believe the procedure is called Laproscopy... this is procedure is the smallest surgery. what they do is they make a small incision in your belly button and they use a tube to drain out the cyst. I on the other hand had to have a 7 inch incision just beloew the bikini line because my dermoid cyst was so big and contained (hair, teeth, and bone) .they could not drain it with the tube.

I was told if the cyst ruptures it can be very dangerous. the fluids can make you very sick....

Most cyst that are 3cm or so in size go away in time... but I would keep and eye on them becasue they can grow into what i had, which they called a teratoma dermoid cyst...
    Very gross, i saw the pictures. yuk!!!

Take care and i hope this has helped clarify some things. One of my friends is having the Lapcroscopy procedure next week. I have read this procedure most women are able to go back to work within the next few days...

Darla987

Closed Thread