It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• recurrent yeast infections?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2005, 09:54 PM   #31
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User
    Re: recurrent yeast infections?

starlet- as you know I have been getting the same problem as you have but not as often. I was washing down there with dial antibacterial soap and have now switched to summers eve feminine wash sensitive skin. When I have those tears it doesn't burn at all to wash with that. I have also switched to a detergent free of dies and perfumes. We will see if it helps me but just a suggestion you may want to try.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 05:58 AM   #32
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Startlet, I am glad Besafe mentioned the soap, as I found that to be a really big irritant to me also. I too had been using an antibacterial soap, dial and another one but now I forget which one. But, I have found only Ivory soap is ok for me, as it is very gentle. Some things you read say not to use soap at all down there, but I just can't do that, I want to be completely clean down there! Some of my friends have problems with soaps so they just let water run over it with the shower head. You might even try that for a while.

Jackie

Old 07-24-2005, 09:05 PM   #33
    starlet32079
    (female)

starlet32079 HB User

I actually just read a artical on antibacterial soap and they say that you shouldn't use them because they wash away all of the good bacteria too. I use pure and natural. It is fragrance free, dye free and Hypoalergenic. I also rinse with the shower head to get it fully rinsed and clean. I use a dye free laundry detergent also but nothing. We will see how bad this infection gets. Hopefully not as bad as last month.

Thank you both,
    Starlet

Old 07-25-2005, 06:05 AM   #34
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well - you are definitley doing all the right things! I hope you find out the cause and the cure! Keep us posted!

Jackie

Old 07-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #35
    BeingThin
    (female)

BeingThin HB User

hi girls - me again. I came to the board to say hi and to see how you all are. I wish I had answers for you all. I think I am using dove now too - don't know how much it helps or not. I have to think all this stuff about soaps and stuff HELPS but is not the cure or the cause. There are so many people in this world who use perfumed stuff and never get these infections. I don't know what to make of it either.

Please keep us posted...

Old 07-27-2005, 08:47 AM   #36
    jupe
    (female)

jupe HB User

I had this problem 7 years ago. I used so the cream so many times I thought I'd become immune. I asked my Dr. if my boyfriend and I could be passing it back and forth and he said no, absolutely not, men don't get them.... WRONG! My boyfriend went to his family Dr. and he prescribed him something. It must have worked because that was the end of the problem.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:12 AM   #37
    BeingThin
    (female)

BeingThin HB User

wow that's interesting - you mean he got a bacterial or yeast infection ? What did they give him for it like an antifungal cream or pills?

Old 07-31-2005, 08:36 PM   #38
    hoober5
    (female)

hoober5 HB User

Hi there! I'd like to give you my experience with horrendous yeast infections! Had them so bad that all my children were born with thrush (yeast in the mouth, etc)...anyway, i have had horrid yeast infections since high school and found with the help of my OB's nurse practitioner we went through everything and the one thing i found that totally stopped my infections was due to tampons! The tampons now are so totally absorbant that they dried me out completely and upon taking them out would cause a little fissure and cause the yeast to grow there. so now i change out tampons and pads every other time and rarely do i get them now! when i do, my nurse prac gives me a double dose of diflucan to take one then one more 24 hours later. hope this helps some!!!

Old 08-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #39
    starlet32079
    (female)

starlet32079 HB User

Hoober, both of my children were also born with thrush in the mouth but my first child had it behind her ears also and still has it till this day. We have tried everything to get rid of it.
    Just thought I would update you all. I didin't get a yeast infection this month so far but I lost some more weight, have severe back cramping and pain. I also have a weird rash/ red bump things on my left side of my lower and middle abdomen and upper left hip. I don't know what is happening to me. I am going to be seeing a different doctor in a couple of weeks. so I guess we will see how that goes.
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

Starlet

Old 08-04-2005, 09:01 AM   #40
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Starlet, I am so glad that you are going to see a new doctor! Something is definitely going on there. Hopefully the new doctor can find out what is wrong!

Jackie

Old 08-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #41
    In a tree

In a tree HB User

Do you reuse your bath towels before you wash them. I used to do this and I also had a yeast infection every month. Now I wash all of my towels in hot water with a cup of bleach to kill any bacteria. Since I have been taking these precautions I rarely get a yeast infection.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:13 AM   #42
    eloise21
    (female)

eloise21 HB User
    Unhappy Re: recurrent yeast infections?

I am new to this board and i came here bc of a very similar problem. i started having yeast infections in april and ive had one since. i dont know if they are reoccuring or if its the same one, i always feel like i have one. i started the patch in april and then had to get off bc it was falling off. i am now on my second month of yasmine and i think that the pill is causing me to have all these yeast infections because i never had them before. i have been tested for stds and ive only been with my boyfriend for the past 4 years. everytime my doctor does a smear, all she sees is yeast. last time i also had a bv but that went away. i hate spending all this money on the creams and have them not work. my sister works in a health food store and she brought me home something called "candida digest" to help get rid of all the yeast. a friend of mine said that her doctor told her that sometimes yeast infections were stubborn in some women and just wouldnt go away. on another board that i post on i read that a woman switched the pill she was on and her yeast infections went away. my doctor said she didnt want to switch me until i had been on the pill for at least 3 months, so what does she expect? me to have a yeast infection for another month? i hate this. any words of support. i am only 23 so i know this is not perimenopause.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #43
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eloise - I know this is driving you crazy! I cannot imagine having one for that length of time. I always have a hard time getting rid of them too - but they do go away!

I used to take Yeast Defence from "Nutrition Now" (from the Healthfood Store). It always kept them at bay. Now I just take garlic and acidolphilus supplements, and even after three rounds of antibiotics recently, I didn't get one - so that is amazing for me! I also eat plain yogurt alot now too. Anything to keep from getting another one!

Old 08-09-2005, 09:21 AM   #44
    Summer0404
    (female)

Summer0404 HB User

Hi everyone,

I have fought with yeast since I was a young teenager. I have been to several doctors and they all pretty much have told me that I just have a high yeast content in my body so the smallest things that can cause an imbalance which results in the yeast taking over and another infection. All the ladies on this board have had some great suggestions. These are the things that have helped me...

- using a blowdryer on low to fully dry your pelvic area after a shower
    - urinating after sex...even better if you can wash the area...just don't use those wipes...they can cause more harm than good. You need to rinse the area with water.

I have also heard many people say they have seen vast improvement by taking Acidolphilis. It is a vitamin that has live cultures which combat the yeast. I bought some, but haven't been very good at remembering to take it, so don't have a personal testimony.

I haven't had an infection in over a year until the beginning of the summer. I have been spending a lot of time at the lake skiing and swimming....which means being in a wet bathing suit most of the day. Lake water is also obviously not the cleanest, so I ended up with a bacterial infection (those are the worst!!!!) and a yeast infection. My doctor gave me some great suggestions and I haven't had another one.

First, put triple paste (it is a diaper rash ointment) on the vaginal area before getting in the water. This helps protect you. At the end of the day, take a shower and cover area in thin layer of Alcortin. This is a prescription drug that kills bacteria and fungus, so it is good to help prevent yeast and bacterial vaginal infections. I think it is pretty new on the market, so i would call your doctor and ask her about it. It has been a life saver for me!!

I haven't had another problem this summer. Hope this helps. Good luck!!

Summer

Old 08-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #45
    gardenandcats
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

I have had bad yeast infections since a small child. I had them a few years ago month after month. I went to I can't remember how many doctors and still nothing worked. I was in agony. I have tried it all. finally a gyn had me use boric acid in capsules inserted in the vagina 2x a day.That did the trick. You have to have a drugstore make them up for you with a written prescrpition from your doctor. I could not belive how quickly this cleared the yeast up. I still get yeast infections but not as often.

Closed Thread