It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• just heard from doctor about ultrasound- so confused!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
    libbie6
    (female)

libbie6 HB User
    just heard from doctor about ultrasound- so confused!

Hi, I heard from my doc about the ultrasound today. She said it came back benign, but then she said something that totally confused me- she said the report states "benign findings", but they were unable to really see the lump/mass in my left breast. How on EARTH is this possible for a mammogram and ultrasound not able to see a lump that the doctor herself could palpate manually!???!!!! I am so confused and frustrated- the radiologist even put an "X" over the spot with a marker before the mammogram was taken! So, because the doctor definitely felt the lump in my exam, and yet nothing showed up on the mammo and ultrasound, I am supposed to go to a general surgeon for a second opinion. I cannot believe this is happening. I just started my last year of grad school a few days ago! In addition, I am still feeling pain in my left armpit, and slight pain in my throat. I have absolutely no clue what's going on, and now I am getting REALLY, really, concerned. Mostly, I am just confused. Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening before (not being able to find the mass on the mammogram/ultrasound) and how this can possibly happen?

Oh, and more bad news is that my doctor said this mass can't be a cyst because the ultrasound should've have confirmed that, and when she palpated the lump, it felt "firm". So that doesn't sound too good for me, either..........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
    The joy of Jane
    (female)

The joy of Jane HB User
    Re: just heard from doctor about ultrasound- so confused!

I am truely sorry that you're having to go through this - it really does sound upsetting. I'm sorry, too that I don't have any advice for you - I really wish I did. You need to tell your doctor ASAP about these other problems you've been having. At least maybe the fact that both the mammagram and ultrasound didn't show anything shows how benign it is. Do let us know what happens.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:34 AM   #3
    smithn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

smithn HB User
    Re: just heard from doctor about ultrasound- so confused!

This is really common, Libbie. Many palpable lumps do not show up on film, just as many that are not palpable DO show up on film. It doesn't mean this is bad news or that it's a cancer so lean toward that thought, okay? Most lumps biopsied turn out to be benign. You should have a biopsy or excision to get it out of there. Do you have an appt. set up with a surgeon yet? You need to do this. {removed} {Do not assume authority and tell posters where to post. Read posting rules.~Modinatrix21}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 09-13-2005 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Read posting rules.

Closed Thread