It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Increasing pain,nothing seems to help (possible endo)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2005, 05:04 PM   #16
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User
    Re: Increasing pain,nothing seems to help (possible endo)

my dad's friend is also going to give me a muscle relaxer he got prescribed for his back, so maybe that will help w/ my back. ttyl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2005, 06:24 AM   #17
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

well, the muscle relaxer didn't work, i guess i'll just have to wait till i can see the obygn. Hopefully someone will cancel their appt. and i'll be able to get in sooner!

Old 10-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #18
    chocolate35
    (female)

chocolate35 HB User

Jen-
    I was recently diagnosed with endometriosis about a month and a half ago. I had an eight month fight with the doctors. I had numerous tests as well with several different doctors. I finally found one in Minnesota that would help me out. The doctors I had in Iowa were going around in circles and were telling me that I would just have to learn how to deal with the pain. One thing you need to understand is that first of all, it is unsafe to take other peoples prescriptions like muscle relaxers and another thing is that endometriosis is a disease with no cure. I like you, researched endo extensively and kept mentioning it to doctors. The reason they are hesitant to diagnose it is because it is so difficult to diagnose. The only way to find it is through surgery which is also the same way they treat it. I had surgery in August and feel much better. I like you, had terrible back pain...but it started in the ovary area, moved to my back and then radiated down the front and back of my legs. The pain was incredible and no pain killer helped. With endo no pain killer will help because endo is like two blisters rubbing against eachother....pain pills dont work for that. I would try to see a chiropractor too...before my diagnosis the chiropractor helped relieve some pain from my back. Massage also helps with the pain. How long have you had this pain for? My experience with endo is that half way through your period you get relief from the pain. My relief started out as two weeks then two weeks of pain. I would not recommend going on continous birth control right now. That is what I have begun after surgery and it is not fun at all...there is tons of breakthrough bleeding....pretty much like the last day of your period for seven weeks straight so far. Mood swings are terrible as well as nausea and everything else when it comes to that much hormone. So be careful with that. See how you feel after your period it could really help...and continue trying to get into the doctor...but in the meantime see if you can get to a chiro. Hope that is of some help!
    God Bless-
    Chrys

Old 10-02-2005, 06:03 PM   #19
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

Today the pain in my lower back got worse again and i couldn't deal with it anymore so my parents took me to the ER. The doctor saw me there, checked my back, and of course asked me if i had hurt my back. He said it was probably a muscle pull. So, they gave me 2 advil and 1 big ibuprofin, i waited an hour there and the pain didn't let up at all, so then they gave me a shot of morphin. That is some powerful stuff, it didn't help my pain what so ever but it made me really dizzy and nautious. After that didn't work they said that was all they could do, they prescribed me ibuprofin and vicotin. So i went home and tried to eat a little since i haden't eaten all day, after i had ate just one slice of grilled cheese and one bite of tuna casserole i started feeling sick, that's when i threw up 2 times. The first time it was a bunch of white stuff, which i think was probably all those drugs they gave me. (It was probably too powerful on my stomach, specially since i didn't eat anything before they gave them to me.) Stupid doctors, so all they really did was make me even more sick, they just don't understand that it isn't muscles or anything normal, that it is something serious like endo. I even mentioned endo to them and they just said oh, like they didn't know anything about it what so ever and thought i was crazy or something. I'm soooooooo frustrated with these doctors. Tomorow though my mom is going to call and try to get me in sooner with the female obygn, tell them that i'm in severe pain and that nothing is helping, including morphin (which is the strongest pain med i think). I guess your'e right that there aren't any pain meds that can help, i believed you i just had to do something today, i coudn't take anymore. I think today has been the worst day yet!

Old 10-02-2005, 11:24 PM   #20
    FairyMagick
    Inactive
    (female)

FairyMagick HB User

Hi, I was diagnosed with Endo last June I had the surgery. I had to see doctor after doctor for over a year to get someone to at least admit I could have Endo. I have server Endo. I still have pain even after the sugery so I know what your going threw. I would just like to share what I have learned with you.
    Pain killers like vicodin can help you, but you have to take them before your pain peeks to where your at the point your in tears. When you start to feel the pain coming on, take the meds to see if you can get relief, they don't always take the pain away 100% but they do knock the edge off. Taking ibuprofen and Tylenol together can also help. I take muscle relaxers and they help me, but I guess they don't help everyone with Endo.
    Nurse practioner can prescribe pain meds because I have had 2 that did. Many doctors and practioners will tell you they can't because they have restricted licence or they don't want prescribe pain killer thinking there patients can get addicted and they don't want to get in trouble. (I think this is crazy how they think its ok for people to just suffer) I am still trying to get enough pain meds after being diagnosed.
    Endo like other female problems are unfortunately over looked and many woman suffer for years before getting any help. Some doctors will say having a total hyst is the only answer, but isn't and I recently found out that even if someone with Endo has a hyst the pain can return my doctor told me this. I hope you can get the help you need and don't get discouraged if you have to see a lot of doctors before getting one that can help you. The doctor I have know isn't perfect, but he is at least trying to help, where as before I had to deal with what your going threw now. So I know there is someone out there that will help you too.

Last edited by FairyMagick; 10-02-2005 at 11:40 PM.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:44 AM   #21
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

Thank you for your encouragement and help. My mom is calling the doctors office now and explaining to them that i am in severe pain and the pain meds aren't helping. She's asking them if they can possibly get me in to see the female obygn today or atleast sooner. Maybe if they know i'm in so much pain they'll let me in........I hope!
    P.S. I don't know how i'm going to take the vicodin though because my pain doesn't let up at all, it's always the same. I'll try it though.

Last edited by JenRas05; 10-03-2005 at 06:47 AM.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #22
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

We tried to get in with the obygn here where we live but she is still all booked up until November, there is nothing else they can do. So.....my parents suggested i go see an obygn in Duluth since we we're going up there anyways. I made an appointment up there, the earliest they had was Monday Ocotber 10th. But that is a lot better than i would get here. I would have waited if i could of gotten atleast some relieve from the pain meds...but this suffering is just killing me and it's not doing any good waiting. So hopefully they can do something for me up there and get me checked for endometriosis. I have a pain record that i've been doing for the past week and a half which will help me when explaining it to the doctor. I can't wait to get this finally figured out. Wish the best of luck to me! Thanks again for all your help!!! God bless!

Old 10-03-2005, 12:02 PM   #23
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

I just took the vicotin about an hour ago and it hasen't helped yet....the heating pad seems to be the only thing that helps

Last edited by JenRas05; 10-03-2005 at 12:03 PM.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:44 PM   #24
    Brooke111
    (female)

Brooke111 HB User

I'm so sorry that you are still in pain. Doctors can be helpful and frustrating at the same time! Seeing a professional in this matter is the only thing you can do at this point. Tell them you want all the tests you can get!

Maybe you have a pinched nerve? or a slipped disk? those could be other options as to what is going on, but the gyno is a good start.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:32 PM   #25
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

I'm glad i'm finally going to a professional in this field. I'm actually starting to feel some relief, i think it's from the vicotin. That's good! Except now i'm starting to get this pain shooting down the front of my legs. I think it was probably the morphin that made me sick yesterday. Can't wait for Monday!!!

Old 10-10-2005, 08:18 AM   #26
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

Yes!, today is the day i get to go see the obygn....i'm so excited to get some help, atleast i pray she can help me. I'm seriously going to talk about endo with her. I'm not going to give up until i can get checked for endo (most likely with laproscopy). I'm bringing my medical files, pain record, and doctor discussion guide with. It sucks that i have my period now though, i got severe menstrual cramps again but i take midol and it goes away. I don't think those severe menstrual cramps are normal either, that's another sign of endo....i mean there so bad i curl in a ball and cry. The thing is i've had those severe menstrual cramps most of all my periods,....so maybe i had endo for a long time and i didn't even know to suspect it. Who out there even tells you that severe menstrual cramps isn't normal and there really a sign of something wrong. Everyone just says they are just part of your period and you have to deal with them...right? well....that's another thing i'm going to discuss with that doctor today.....believe me i'm not going to leave anything out. I've got to get this all out in the open and get this figured out!
    Thanks for being such a great support and help,
    Jenny
    p.s. write you all back later and tell you how the doctor visit goes.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #27
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

Hi Jenny:

I'll be really interested what your OB/GYN says. I'm going to call mine today to see if I can schedule an appointment for my laparoscopy. I won't be able to do it until after Nov. 1, but at least I'll get things in motion for my recovery. I spent the last three days with a heating pad and pain killers. It's a little better today, I think because I'm on day five of my period (the end of my period the pain seems to let up for a day or two), but I'm expecting the big hemorrhage any minute now (I always have one day, like you have, that I'm curled up in a pain ball, with heavy bleeding and cramps).

Good luck!
    -SRMom

Old 10-10-2005, 04:05 PM   #28
    Changingwoman
    (female)

Changingwoman HB User

Jenny, I am furious that you have gotten such a run-around! You should not have had to endure all that pain for so long. Let us know what they find out. Unfortunately, in this day of "managed care", you have to take charge of your own health. Thank heaven the Internet gives us an opportunity to check things out ourselves and bug the "system" until someone listens.

Do go to the emergency room next time if that is what it takes to get some help. And don't give up until someone listens to you. There are all those wonderful questions they don't like to hear, such as "So what you are saying is that I have to remain in pain for 2 weeks because you refuse to treat me now?" Don't take "no" for an answer. You are paying for the service, after all. {removed} and believe me, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Ask to talk to the head of the facility and explain that you are in pain now, and they don't seem to be able to help you, and what is he going to do about it! I don't mean to be nasty, just firm and persistent. You are paying for help, they contracted to provide it. All you expect is that they do what you are paying them for. It is not your problem that they don't hire enough doctors.

Hopefully the doctor you see today will be able to help. In the meanwhile, find a local gyn and regular physician and get hooked up with them before the next problem comes up. You are right, you should not be seeing a pediatrician any more! Also, if you don't like the doctor you get, change! You have to have someone you are comfortable with, who will answer all of your questions and not pooh-pooh you or pat you on the head with just-let-us-take-care-of-you-stuff.

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 10-10-2005 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Read posting rules. The boards are for PEER support dont use creditials.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #29
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

Well, i went to the gyn today. She was really nice and understanding! She did a vaginal and rectal exam. The rectal exam was to see if there was any thickening of the rectal walls but there wasen't. This is what she said, "she suggested that i first be seen by a gastroenologist because the pain is around my belly button where your intestines are, your uterus is farther down. So they want to make sure it's not my intestines giving me the pain near my belly button. They will take a scope and stick it down my esophogus and up through my vagina to look into my stomach and intestines. If that comes out negative than she will perform the laproscopy. She just wants to rule this out first before i undergo surgery. She said it didn't sound like endo to her because there wasen't any pattern of pain around my period. But, then i asked well if it is my intestines what would the back pain be from? she didn't really have an answer for that but i already know that lower back pain is a sign of endo. Maybe if i do have the intestinal problem i could still have endo, and if the back pain continues i would still like to be checked for endo. Well, still waiting for the gastro doctor appointment, she is to call me back tomorow with the openings for Duluth, they checked Willmar where i lived but there is only one gastro in Willmar and he is all booked until December and i'm well tired of waiting if you know what i mean. Hopefully they will have an earlier opening in Duluth. Thanks for your support, those doctors were really frustrating, i'm glad i'm getting this checked out finally though. The vicotin and midol is helping me for now. Take care everyone and God bless,
    Jenny

Old 10-11-2005, 10:40 AM   #30
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

My doctor's approach is opposite. The OB/GYN will do the laparoscopy before sending me to the gastroenterologist. IBS had been mentioned as a possibility, but I haven't had any constipation, diarrhea, or rectal bleeding. My pain has been bad all month long for many months, I never thought for sure it was endo until this month (it could be adhesions from prior surgery too).

Just days before my period, I couldn't get out of bed, even with painkillers...now that I'm on my period, the pain is bearable again. Anyway, for awhile I wondered why they didn't give me a colonoscopy before consenting to surgery, but I really think the surgery is what I need, so I'm okay with it. At least you'll know you'll be totally checked out.

Glad to hear you are on the road to finding your cure. Again, I'm so sorry you have to go through this at such a young age. Please keep us posted.

Closed Thread