It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Increasing pain,nothing seems to help (possible endo)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User
    Unhappy [B]Increasing pain,nothing seems to help (possible endo)[/B]

The pain is getting worse...i know have menstrual cramps everyday and severe lower back pain, (actually right on the top of my butt) I take pain relivers but nothing seems to help, i called back my gynecologist and told her of this, she said just to take 2 aleve every 8 hours and tylenol added for extra pain relieve, and a hot bath. I did exactly as she said, i took 2 aleve and 1 tylenol, even took a hot bath....it didn't help at all!....the pain is still the same....it's mostly on my left side at the top of my butt, i've been crying lately because i'm just so tired of all this pain, it's everyday, 24/7, doesn't let up at all....i still get the pain below my belly button but haven't been noticing it as much now because of my severe lower back pain....i'm just so scared because the pain seems to get worse each day...i didn't even go into work tonight because of it being so bad,...... i just don't know what to do! please, does anyone have any advice other than heat and pain relivers? please help anyone!!!
    P.S. For those who don't know i've had pain for about 4 months now. Doctor's did everything else to diagnose the pain...couldn't find out anything so now i'm looking into endometriosis. My name is Jennifer and I am 18, and live in Willmar, Minnesota.

Last edited by JenRas05; 09-27-2005 at 05:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
    Brooke111
    (female)

Brooke111 HB User
    Re: Increasing pain,nothing seems to help (possible endo)

I would seek a scond opinion. Did they discover endo? What tests have you had done? I don't know much to do about the pain, except ask for prescribed pain killers. Use a heating pad etc.. Untill you fix what is causing this you could still have the pain. I hope they find out what is wrong with you.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

They didn't discover it yet, they haven't done any tests for it yet, that's why i'm going in on Nov. 21 to check for, i just am pretty sure i have it, i've been checked for almost everything else, and the symptoms of lower back pain, abdominal pain, and bad cramps all point to endometriosis. I'm the one who actually suggested it to my doctor to be checked out, if i didn't i don't think they would of even brought it to consideration. Sometimes you got a lend a hand to those doctors, sometimes they go off looking for something in the wrong direction if you know what i mean. I've been researching alot on endo and they say that many girls go undiagnosed for an average of 9-10 years w/endo because their only symptoms are bad cramps which they think are just normal and abdominal pain which their doctors think have to do with the digestive track because of the similar symptoms. Maybe i should ask for a prescribed pain killer like you said because the over the counter pain meds just aren't working at all, and that's really weird for me because those have always helped me before with cramps and other pain. I even put this heating cream on my lower back and it didn't help much except to make my skin feel all nice and tingly.......it's just that November is such a long time from now and it sucks having this pain everyday....also my gyno said on the phone after she told me to take pain killers that even if i were diagnosed with endo that they would do the same things for me that they are now by having me on birth control and just using pain meds. But....i don't necessarily believe that is all they can do because i've looked this up and there are other options like to have a surgery and other pain meds that are stronger. They just have to find something that will work for my body. Everyone is different with endo in terms of pain and everything. I just can't wait until they can diagnose this so they can fix it atleast some, i don't even care if i have to go through surgery if that will help more. Thanks for your advice, i'll let you know in a couple months what the doctor says and what they find out with the laproscopy.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:59 PM   #4
    Brooke111
    (female)

Brooke111 HB User

Yes, you may need surgery, my friend has endo, and she went several times for surgery because it would come back and stuff. If you are in a lot of pain, maybe go to the ER, that could speed things up a bit, or go to another doctor. You shouldn't be in pain like this, and they shouldn't make you go through it. If you get the surgery, you may feel a lot better. I wish you well, please let me know how you are doing.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

I don't know what to do now, the pain is not as extreme as it was on Tuesday but it still bothers me. I could probably go through it till November but i would like to atleast try something else to get rid of it, even if it not be surgery just yet. I think the first thing i should do is call my gyno back and tell her that the over the counter pain meds aren't cutting the pain at all and that i would like to have a prescription pain killer. I could try that for awhile and if that doesn't work than maybe i'll just have to see the male obygn instead, it will probably be a lot less time to wait for. I've been keeping track of my pain on a pain diary online at {removed} and did a discussion guide for my first visit to the doc. If the pain gets that extreme again though or even worse maybe i will go to the ER. I do want to get that surgery done but probably should see the obygn first. Thanks again, Jen

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 09-29-2005 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Read posting rules. NO websites.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

I've been having really bad back pain lately, still at the top of my butt but also in the middle and top of my back. Do you think this kind of back pain could be related to endo? Sometimes when i bend over the middle of my back locks up and hurts really bad, i don't know what it's caused from, it happens every once in awhile. It's not from lifting or anything either i've noticed.
    P.S. I'm also very scared to get my period without the right working pain meds because this pain has been so bad now that i know it will probably be lots worse w/ my period. Not to mention i always get horrible menstrual cramps during my period where i'm like curled in a ball and crying. Mydol usually helps with that though. Hope everything goes ok with my period, it will be in about a week from now.

Last edited by JenRas05; 09-29-2005 at 08:48 PM.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:44 PM   #7
    Brooke111
    (female)

Brooke111 HB User

You seem to have a lot of the symptoms of endo. But maybe you also just have a lower back problem as well, did you say you had a CT done? X-rays? You know they have a birthcontrol pill out there were you only get your period like 4 times a year, maybe you could ask about that. My friend that had endo has horrible periods as well, she would sit there with a heating pad for a week, even taking off work. Did you say you were on birth control? if so ask your doctor if you can just keep taking the pill and skip your period altogether, now I don't know if you can do that or not, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the doctor and see what he/she says.

I hope everything goes well with you.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:24 AM   #8
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

Hi again Jenny...I take Vicodin for the pain when it is really bad and I'm with my heating pad all the time. If you can't get prescription meds, try taking 2 Aleve, every 6-8 hours. Sometimes that'll take the edge off the pain enough for me to function. Is there any way you can get your appointment moved up sooner? Maybe ask if you can come in if there is a cancellation. Take care sweetie.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:40 AM   #9
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

I'm on birth control, but its the patch where i have it on for 3 weeks and then have it off the fourth week and get my period. Maybe i should ask if they could switch my birth control though to one where i won't have to get my period every month. The patch though is kind of nice in the respects that you don't have to remember everyday to take a pill. I don't know maybe theres a way you can where the patch all the time, but i'm not sure. I'll have to ask my gyno. And also my appointment to see the obygn is on a waiting list so if anyone does cancel than they will call me. The pain doesn't seem so bad now though, i don't know i still have cramps and pain at the top of my butt, maybe i'm just getting used to the pain, idk. I'll call my gyno today and see what she has to say. Let you know....thanks again, Jenny

Old 09-30-2005, 08:45 AM   #10
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

also,....i haven't had any x-rays of my back or anything, didn't notice the back pain before when i was seeing my doctor....it just started about 5 days ago. one question, what is vicodin? is it a prescription pain killer? and if can my doctor prescribe it for me?

Old 09-30-2005, 08:56 AM   #11
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

Vicodin is a prescription narcotic pain reliever, similar to Codeine. Some doctors are hesitant to presribe it because of the potential for abuse, but it works well for this pain I've been having. Some days are so bad I'll be in tears, then I'll take one and in an hour I can feel the relief (almost like a terrible muscle cramp that lets go finally).

Last edited by SRMom; 09-30-2005 at 08:56 AM.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:01 PM   #12
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

I've got really bad lower back pain again today almost just like Tuesday, so i took two advil this morning and i just took two tylenol also. I'm going to lay down a few hours and see if it will work this time, if it doesn't i'm going to call my gyno later and ask her if she couldn't prescribe me pain meds, maybe vicodin or something similar. Thanks, Jenny

Old 09-30-2005, 03:28 PM   #13
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

ok, this is what happened.....i called my gyno today after i had rested for awhile because the pain was still strong after taking the aleve and tylenol, i told her that the pain meds weren't working at all and asked her if she could prescribe me stronger pain meds, she said she wasen't licensed to prescribe things like that and that i should see my regular doctor again...so they transfered me to make an appt. with my normal Doctor, Dr. Bateman (a pediatrician), they told me the only opening they could make is if i came in right away, so i went in to see him today. Since i complained of lower back pain they just had to check me for a bladder infection. That test came back negative of course. He then checked my back and asked me if i had any back injuries lately, i told him no. He wasen't sure what it could be, said that there wouldn't be anything they could do to check my back since it had only been for a few days. That's when i told him that i was looking into endometriosis. He said "Isn't that kind of uncommon at your age?" i told him no, that i had done a lot of research on it and that actually a lot of adolescents my age get endometriosis but aren't diagnosed right away. He's like "wow, you sure seem to know a lot more about that than i do." actually, i think he's right. That makes me kind of angry that those doctors don't know more about endo, because a lot of young girls get this disease and then the doctors aren't prepared in knowledge about it. He suggested though that i start seeing a female family practioner since i'm getting kind of old for a pediatrician anymore and he also said that they would know more about female problems than him. I think he's right, the only reason i was still seeing him was because he told me that even though i was 18 i could still continue seeing him for awhile. But now that i bring up femal problems he suggests i see a family practioner. It's probably the best idea. He's mainly trained in children and i am getting out of his field a little.....then i asked him if i could be prescribed a stronger pain killer and he said no because they didn't know exactly what was wrong with me. So he said if the back pain continues i can go see the female family practioner before my November appointment with the obygn. so yea, i'm getting kind of tired of all this running to the doctors all the time and all this pain....but i guess i'll just continue taking the aleve and if it doesn't get better by the time i get back from our vacation me and my parents are taking next week to go visit our friends then i'll make an appt. to see that female family practioner. I don't know what else she can do though until they actually do the laproscopy.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:42 PM   #14
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

So sorry Jen...I'm not sure why your "gyno" can't prescribe painkillers...isn't she an MD? Anyway, try to have a nice time on your vacation.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:01 PM   #15
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

She's only a nurse practioner, so i gues thats why, i'll try to have a good time on my vacation, thanks again, write you back after i see another doctor. Jen

Closed Thread