It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• First abnormal PAP - colposcopy necessary?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
    First abnormal PAP - colposcopy necessary?

Hey. I'm 24 and just had my first abnormal PAP. My doctor scheduled me for a colposcopy in 4 weeks. Does anyone have any idea why she recommended me for a colposcopy so quickly without just suggesting a follow-up PAP? Do you think a colposcopy is really necessary at this point?

Additional info: The PAP took place one day after my period ended and I was still spotting lightly. The doctor didn't tell me what "grade" I was, just that they "didn't see any cancer cells." I've had 2 partners and have never had sex without a condom even once.

Thanks for advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
    morrisun
    Veteran
    (female)

morrisun HB User
    Re: First abnormal PAP - colposcopy necessary?

I think it's pretty standard to do a colposcopy after an abnormal pap. I had my first abnormal pap in January. I had the colposcopy which came back CIN I and I just did my re-pap last week. (Hopefully it'll come back normal)

The colposcopy was no biggie at all, and I felt better knowing what exactly was going on "down there" and getting it over with. Good luck.
    PCOS

Old 09-28-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
    Brooke111
    (female)

Brooke111 HB User

It depends on the doctor, You should find out what the results said. For example mine came back abnormal.. ASCUS I just had to have a follow up pap which came back normal.

If you were still having your period that could have very well altered the rusults of your pap.

Some doctors like to play it safe and do a colposcopy first. Call your doctors office and ask what excatly your chart said.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User

I bet your reading came back lgsil or hgsil. If it did then it isn't suprising they want to do the colposcopy. Just better to be safe and see whats going on in there. It doesn't even hurt. They will apply vinegar to the cervix to see if any cells turn white. None of mine did and I looked ok inside but my doctor said we should just freeze to get rid of whatever was causing my abnormal cells. I had a bunch of repeat paps cause they couldn't treat me while I was pregnant so thats another reason why he chose to do cyro after the colposcopy. It was all no biggie and wouldn't be scared to do it again if I had to.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

is it necessary??? well....most likely things are fine....BUT....wouldnt you rather KNOW that for certain? women get abnormal paps all the time....for various reasons. having the pap done too soon after your period, close to having intercourse, infections, feminine sprays, etc. i got my first abnormal pap when i was 32...scared me to death!! i too, had just came off my period just a few days before. i had to have the colposcopy procedure done....originally the pap showed mild dysplasia....but the colposcopy showed that things were fine. went in 6 months later for a repeat pap....again...abnormal....but showed no dysplasia, just abnormal cells, and the dr said it was most likely just an infection and to come back in another 6 months. so before i went in to have it done...i read on causes of abnormal paps, and it was very interesting at what i had found. so.....i made my appt 10 days AFTER my period ended, i did not have intercourse for 1 week prior to my appt, i did not take any kind of medications, etc.....and guess what??? It came back normal!!!!!!

so yes, the colposcopy is necessary....to make sure that things are definitely ok. i am glad that they recommended it right after the first abnormal pap, because had they chosen to wait to re-check me in 3 months, or 6 months....what if i had had cancer?? that would have given me 3-6 more months of not knowing and not getting the treatments necessary early enough. so, dont question it.....be thankful that they care enough to be thorough this quick, instead of playing the wait and see game that some GYN's do.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:40 AM   #6
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

Hi Timber:

The cells they want to freeze are potentially cancerous, or pre-cancerous. They are not cancer, otherwise your treatment would be very different. I've had this done too after only one pap smear, I think it's pretty common. It's better to be safe than sorry and the procedure isn't much worse than just getting another pap smear...just takes a few minutes longer.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
    auntietami
    (female)

auntietami HB User

I had an abornmal pap 2 years ago now and they did a colposcopy right away too. I was so freaked out about this (I was 22). I don't think the colposcopy itself was anything worse than a normal pap test, but my doc did two types of biopsies and they were awful. If they're just taking a look, you'll be fine. :0) Luckily mine came back okay. Good luck to you!

Old 10-13-2005, 07:51 AM   #8
    IrishGoddess97
    (female)

IrishGoddess97 HB User

When I was 19 I had my first abnormal PAP.... they also wanted me to have a biopsie of my cervical wall done. I was lucky, cause my resulst came back positive for cancerous cells. Right away they did cryro-surgery. They had me come back for repear paps every 3 months, I'm 21 now and havn't had any more abbormal PAP results. So I think it's a good idea to have it done. Gotta keep yourself healthy.

Closed Thread