It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Pmdd?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
    yummypinkblobs
    (female)

yummypinkblobs HB User
    Pmdd?

I think I may have PMDD. About a year ago I woke up with a terrible stomach flu like illness. The following day I woke up with the worst period of my life. I was throwing up, having bloody bowel movements, shaking, had trouble eating, bad panic attacks, uncontrollable crying bouts, disabling fatigue and feeling faint, and had the worst depression of my life. It went on for about a week and a half. I went to the doctor to see if i had food poisoning, but i didn't. It didn't feel like any flu i've ever had either. The next period I had felt somewhat similar, but not quite as severe.

The following months I would feel very weak, nauseous and had no appetite when I got my period and would last from anywhere from a week before my period to all the way throught it. I went back to the doctor to see what he thought. He tested my thyroid and it was fine. He suggested it might be related to depression.

Is this a classic case of PMDD?

He put me on depo-provera. The first shot was very helpful for my problem, but when I got my second recently I've been sick and feeling worse.

What kind of birth control is best for treating PMDD?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User
    Re: Pmdd?

I don't know about which birth control would be best...I tried both Ortho-Cyclen and Loestrin. Both made me feel worse than the PMS/PMDD. I felt like I was PMSing the whole month instead of just a week or two. I gave up trying hormones.

My doctor then wanted to put me on Sarafem, but Sarafem is the same as Prozac and I can't stand the side effects of SSRI antidepressants. If the depo-provera hasn't been able to regulate your cycle, maybe you should consider trying Sarafem. Not all people have the bad reactions I do to SSRI's.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I think we are put in the category of being mentally ill, when there is clearly something hormonally wrong going on. I don't know how old you are. I'm 46 and done having children...I have been considering hysterectomy for another illness I have, but I would welcome the end of my menstruation. It's been hell for years. Good luck!

{removed}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 10-27-2005 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Off Topic

Old 10-28-2005, 05:22 PM   #3
    yummypinkblobs
    (female)

yummypinkblobs HB User

I'm 21 and have been suffering from this for a year now. I have never done good with SSRI's. When I first went to the doctor he tried to put me on Prozac, Paxil, Lexapro, Effexor and maybe even another. None of them made me feel right, although some of my problems were lessened. I decided to go on birth control becuase i didn't want to take any anti-depressants and there's no way I want to go through another one of my normal periods. But now I sort of feel sick and crazy all the time now becuase of Depo-provera.

Old 11-05-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
    tgalyen
    (female)

tgalyen HB User

I've been diagnosed w/ PMDD and currently take Zoloft daily for this. However, I didn't have the problems you describe; all I had was severe mood swings, usually rage (and some depression) during PMS. I've had a good experience with the Zoloft so far. Zoloft is meant to be taken for a short time period (up to a year), just long enough to balance your hormones. However, you have to be "weined" off of it b/c it does have withdrawal sypmtoms. I've experience some (usually inconsistent "shocking" head aches) and currently only take the Zoloft 2-3 times 2 weeks out of the month. It's worked for me though (no more throwing things at my husband.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
    Med4Kicks
    (female)

Med4Kicks HB User

I've seen my gynecologist recently and she told me that only about less than 10% of women have symptoms of PMDD, but then again considering how many are undiagnosed, i'm sure there's more. I was actually diagnosed by my therapist as having chronic depression, but I've begged to differ, for the past 2 month i've been exercising religiously and keeping logs of my nutrition and exercise using one of the diet software (I got to say those are really helpful in more ways than i've imagined). It actually helped me to realize that my depression cycle have symptoms that qualifies me exactly as Premenstural dysphoric disorder(PMDD), I usually start to feel down for no apparent reason about 2wks before menstration and it goes away about a day or two after i get my period. My Gynecologist put me on bcp to regulate my hormone but this month around the same time i'm starting to experience the dip in my mood again. So, even though the bcp or any bc method helps to regulate our hormone, i guess sometime the related depression still persist and that's why she told me to take prozac or any antidepressant for those 2wk range, or i can just get the OTC drugs (st. john's wort, a herbal remedy) which also helps with depression. And i guess everyone experience PMDD in a bit of a variety, but bcp and antidepressant in combination should be effective in regulating depression. Hope i'm helpful by sharing my experiences and symptoms.
    cheers, just remember when there's down, up is soon ahead.

Last edited by Med4Kicks; 11-09-2005 at 11:31 AM.

Closed Thread