It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Pelvic exams - many differences to other countries?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
dove77
(female)

dove77 HB User
Pelvic exams - many differences to other countries?

Hi,

maybe this sounds a little weird for you, but a few days ago I had a discussion with a few friends of mine. We talked about pelvic exams (what an awful topic ) and asked ourselves if there are so many differences compared to the US. I'm from Germany and of course sometimes I watch shows on TV like Emergency Room, House M.D., Greys Anatomy or whatever...
And the pelvic exams seem to be different. There is for example the "Examination table" with those "stirrups". We actually don't have tables but special chairs and the position is a little more sitting than lying. Also we don't put on a sheet at the Gynaecologist (we don't have Nurse practitioners). We just take off the clothes which we have to for the pelvic (pants, underpants). When we are wearing a skirt we can stay with it. After the pelvic we can put the clothes "down there" back on again and then took off shirt and bra for the breast examination.
When I'm reading articles about what happens during a pelvic exam, I did never find something about the conversation with the doctor before and after the examination. In Germany normally you are first talking to the doctor and he's asking for problems and all the stuff like period, illness and so on... Then you decide if you want a pelvic or not (which is sometimes good for younger girls or very scared women, because they can come for a new appointment or they can search for another doctor when they didn't like the person). After that you are going into the examination room.
When I read the explanations of pelvics on the Internet I sometimes have the feeling that in the USA it's normal to go to a doctor, putting a sheet on first and sitting on a table and talking to a doctor then. Is this right?

Oh, and please excuse all my mistakes. Unfortunately English isn't my strength.

Bye
dove77

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
starsofglass
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User
Re: Pelvic exams - many differences to other countries?

Yeah, I wondered the same thing... I'm from Belgium and what we have here is similar to Germany...

Old 01-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, typically here in the US, the nurse will get you and send you for a urine sample and bloodwork. Then you got to the exam room where the nurse will check your vital signs (BP, heart rate, temperature) and then have you undress. You put a large sheet over you and usually a small one across your breasts. The doctor comes in and does the breast exam and then the pelvic. He/she will chat with you as you go thru this...asking about any problems, discharges, etc. Afterward you dress and meet with the doctor. You can talk about any medications, etc. Of course, this is assuming that it is your yearly physical which most women here get. If you just want a pap smear, you can just go get that and nothing else. Hope this helps.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
lindsalou
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

In England,first you talk with the doctor and he takes a medical history. Then a nurse takes you into a different room, you undress from the waist down, lie on a bed and are covered with a sheet (no stirrups to put your feet in) the doc askes you to put your feet together and let your knees drop to the side, then they examine you, a nurse is present throughout

Old 01-15-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
dove77
(female)

dove77 HB User

They are examin you from the side??? I'm not sure if I understood anything wrong, but if I understood right: Isn't this totally emberassing? For me it's quite important to see, what's happening to me. Also I don't understand how this can work.
By the way, in Germany are not always nurses present. Some doctors have, others don't. I don't like to have a nurse present because I think it's embarrasing enought in front of ONE person. But I can understand if a doctor wants to have an assistant because of his own safety.
Here are two pictures of the exmanination chairs our doctors use:
[url]http://www.praxis-galus.de/bilder/schmuck-untersuchungsstuhl.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.frauenaerztin.org/bilder/untersuchung.jpg[/url]

Thank you for the information!

Bye
dove77

Old 01-16-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
maybebabee
(female)

maybebabee HB User

I'm in England, and I had a talk with the doctor first, to discuss everything, then in a different room, she explained exactly what she was going to do, then left me to get undressed and sit on the bed with a sheet over me from the waist down, then i had to put my legs in stirrups and kinda slide right down so my legs were bent. Then she examined me, i got dressed and went back for a talk after.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
tina76
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

I don't think she meant they examine you from the side. I'm fairly certain that she meant you put your feet together and let each leg fall to each side so that your legs are wide open.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
lindsalou
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

The only 'side ways' examination ive had is an internal ultrasound scan.
There you draw your knees up towards your chest whilst laid on your side and the doctor inserts the probe.

Closed Thread