It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

pain after laparoscopy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
allaboutme
(female)

allaboutme HB User
pain after laparoscopy

Last monday I had a lap done. My doc. says I have endometriosis, but claims it shouldn't bother me anymore now that I had surgery. I stayed home all last week, but I had to go back to work this week. I worked yesterday and felt like crap by the time I got home. I am still sore, and my back and legs are killing me. The incisions are very tender as well. How long does it normally take to heal from this? I ran out of my pain meds and feel terrible today. Is it common for me to feel this much pain. Sould I call my Doc. for a refill.....or will she think I'm just crazy???? Someone that has been through this before please help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
JenRas05
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User
Re: pain after laparoscopy

I've had a laparoscopy and it normally should only take a few days to heal I believe. My stomach and incisions were only sore for like 3 days. I think if your incisions are still sore that it could be a sign that something hasen't healed right or sometimes you can get an infection. I would definitely talk with your gyno who did your surgery. Are you scheduled for a follow-up visit, they should of done that after you were done with your lap. This is so they can check how your stomach and incisions are healing. Once your doc sees you, I'm sure she will prescribe you more pain pills and if you can't wait until then try to call and ask for more pain pills. Before my lap I had a hard time getting pain pills too, but I kept bugging them until they gave me more. And it is still possible to have endo pain after a lap even if they removed the endo. I had just a little bit of endo on the back of my uterus, they lasered it but I still get a lot of pain like cramps, pelvic pain, and lower back pain everyday. I'm still trying to find the right treatment for my pain.

Jenny

Last edited by JenRas05; 02-13-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Old 02-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
Jool24
(female)

Jool24 HB User

Hi

I had my first lap just over 3 years ago. I was back at work within a few days and felt fine. I had my 2nd one las November and was off for 4 weeks. It really depends on how much they've had to remove. They've also put me on a 3 month course of zoladex which may or may not have contributed to the slow recovery...who can tell!

Old 02-16-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
djl
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

I think it depends on the person. I had a lap a little less then a year ago and I would say it took me a good maybe 2 weeks to fully recover. But I was back to work less than a week after my Lap.
If you are still in continuos pain to where you need pain meds, I would call your doc. They may of missed some Endo, or someting may not be healing right.
Also, did they mention anything about your uteris like it being enlarged?? What about ovarian cysts??

Old 02-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
allaboutme
(female)

allaboutme HB User

I went back to gyno last wednesday. She went through everything thing that she did during the procedure. I have endo all over my left ovary. She lasered most of it, but one spot was over a major blood vessle so she couldn't do anything about that. She wanted me to do Lupron, but I have heard too many horror stories about that stuff. She ended up giving me seasonale. I will only get my period once every 3 months. Along with vicodin ES for pain. My husband and I want to have more children, but not right now, maybe in 6 or 9 months. So basically I am taking the seasonale for pain relief, not for conception reasons. I have a follow-up in 6 months, and she said "We'll go from there at that time". I still am hurting, but if I keep up on my pain pills I feel pretty good. I guess I'm still healing inside, and hopefully the pain will go away in about a week. I hope this seasonale works. If it does, I'll have to post. Maybe it will help someone else going through all this pain like me.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
jules1
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User

I tried Seasonale, but I spotted too much to stay on it. Whenever I spot, I have really bad cramps, so I had to get off of it. Now I'm on ortho-evra continuously.
It sounds like your Dr. is much more understanding than mine. After my second lap., where they only found a little endo, my dr. told me I shouldn't be in pain. But I am! My pain is just as bad as before the lap, to the point where I can't even walk to class or work more than 5 hours (I have to stand at my job) without starting to hurt. She told me that I had a lot of scar tissue but that it wouldn't cause me to be as in much pain as I am in. They told me I had to go see another dr. (an internalist) before they would treat me for pain anymore. I met with the new dr 2 weeks ago and he told me I had IBS (which I already knew) and gave me a Rx for some medicine, but my IBS pain is unrelated to my endometriosis pain. I can tell the difference, but apparently my dr. doesn't believe me!
As far as surgery recovery goes, I was fine the night after my first lap. (seriously! I was amazed!). However, I was in severe pain after my second. It took me a good 2-3 weeks to fully recover. My dr. was very unsympathetic and prescribed me a lesser pain medicine than I've been on (Ultram, which doesn't help at all!).
I have an appt with a new gyno in 2 weeks. I am worried they are going to think I'm drug hunting, but I am in pain to the point where I miss class, and I am trying to graduate this semester, after having to take the past year off of school for medical reasons.
I tried the Lupron after my first lap. and while I did have hot flashes, night sweats, the usual menopausal side effects, it wasn't unbearable. Apparently it really helped my endo, because I went from having severe endo (1st lap), to having only a little (2nd lap, 2 1/2 years later).
Good luck with the seasonale. I hope it works for you! And for some reasons you have problems with it, try the ortho-evra patch. It is working so far for me (no spotting, that is!).

Closed Thread