It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• severe moodswings/depression before period

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
    volcomrxy21
    (female)

volcomrxy21 HB User
    severe moodswings/depression before period

A few days before I start my period, it seems as if I almost try to sabotage my otherwise healthy relationship with my boyfriend of 2 years. I get cold, angry, and depressed to the point where it's almost caused us to break up.
    Is this normal? Are the severe mood swings something I should discuss with my OB/Gyn?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User
    Re: severe moodswings/depression before period

Yes! There is some sort of condition that I cannot remember the name of... but basically it is mega-mega-PMS and I'm fairly certain that there is a way to treat it.... Man, I wish I remembered the name!!!!! Ugh... Hopefully someone else will....but YES, talk to your doctor about it asap! Good luck! Let us know what they say!

Tina

Old 03-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
    volcomrxy21
    (female)

volcomrxy21 HB User

is it PMDD that you're thinking of?

it could be. I don't usually have extreme physical symptoms like sufferers of PMDD typically do. it's only mental anguish...

I really need to do something about this though. It's ruining everything and I can't help it.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Yes, I think it is PMDD that I am thinking of... But I'm not sure you have to have ALL symptoms to be diagnosed with it.

How are your moods otherwise throughout the month. Are you taking ANY other medications? Sorry, if I sound nosey...just trying to get a jist of where you are coming from... And when you are PMS-ing you are having EXTREME mood swings, yelling, crying, not speaking, sleeping all the time, etc..? How do you feel when it happens, physically?

Old 03-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

Yes, I think you should discuss this with your OB/GYN. It does sound like PMDD...I think I had it, but I just had a hysterectomy, so hopefully that problem is gone.

The treatment for PMDD (I believe) is Sarafem which is like Prozac, but I don't think you take it every day like you do Prozac. Your doctor can help you and hopefully you will be able to feel normal before your period again.

Last edited by SRMom; 03-07-2006 at 03:55 PM.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
    volcomrxy21
    (female)

volcomrxy21 HB User

I used to take Wellbutrin for depression 5 years ago. I had a grand mal seizure while I was taking it so I don't think the doctor will prescribe the prozac med for me.
    I still should talk to her though.

During the rest of the month my mood is better but not 100%. I have social anxiety so that's an issue... I guess I cuold mention that to the doctor as well.

Today has been the worst day so far, I've cried all day... so my eyes are puffy and I'm trying to keep a smile on my face right now since I"m working until 10.

Just now, my boyfriend stopped talking to me online for about 5 minutes and I IMed him asking "hey are you there?" I got mad because he never put "brb" and then he signed off a moment later.
    Little things like that really tick me off lately... that's just an example. I dont usually let little things like that bother me unless I'm PMSing. and I REALLY let them bother me.

I'm going to call the doctor first thing in the morning.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

I know how that feels...to be really upset when you know you shouldn't be. I'm sorry you are having such a tough day. Please talk to your doctor, maybe you could just take an antianxiety med (like Valium or Xanax) during your PMS instead of an antidepressant, since an antidepressant is contraindicated because of your history with seizures. I'm sure there is something that will help you. Don't give up.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
    volcomrxy21
    (female)

volcomrxy21 HB User

thank you srmom,

I'm going to ask her which antidepressant would be safe to take with a history of seizures. My neurologist had recommended one for anxiety after my seizure that she said would be the only safe one to take.... I think it was Paxil, but I'm not sure.

I'm also going to ask my obgyn about trying birth control again. I had a bad experience with the ortho tricyclen, and I know they make an Ortho tricyclen LO. Maybe that will level out my mood as well.

I'm actually looking forward to discussing this with her to see what she says.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:34 AM   #9
    volcomrxy21
    (female)

volcomrxy21 HB User

OH NO

I called to schedule a consultation with my doctor and her first available appointment isn't until APRIL 25th!!!

Is there another doctor I could discuss this with other than my ob/gyn?????? Or is she the best to talk to?

I don't want to wait 2 months to talk to her.... I could get into see my family doctor sooner but I don't know if she could help.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #10
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Yes, make an appt with your family doctor. MANY women get their birth control and everything all from their general practioner. They will be able to help, even if it is just temporary. At the very least they can consult with your gyno and get you started on some sort of a plan NOW, and not to wait that long. Definitely see your family doc. They may even be able to help you get into your gyno sooner if they feel it is something you really need to see them for and they will know that you can't wait that long. But I realy think they will be able to help. For years my bc and pelvics were done by my primary doc because I didn't have a gyno. It wasn't until my endo started that I started seenig actual gynos.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #11
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

P.S. And don't mention the PMS part when making the appt. so they don't try to send you over to the gyno department. Tell them you need to make an appt to discuss several issues including some mood swings etc...that you have been having.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

I had a very bad experience with Paxil...so please do your research before you take that medicine.

I agree with tina76 about going to see your regular doctor now. It sounds like you are having a really tough time. The first time I saw a professional for this was my family doctor. Make sure you point out that your symptoms are cyclical. You don't have to mention PMS if you don't want to, but you might be misdiagnosed as having depression, when your trouble is really hormonal (do you know what I mean?). They may still treat you with antidepressants, but at least the doctor will have all the facts. Good luck

Old 03-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #13
    LeeLee3
    Inactive

LeeLee3 HB User

I was just going to post about this. A couple days before my period, I get really tense and emotional. For example, I got stuck in a traffic jam yesterday, and I was crying and almost paniced. I started taking evening primrose oil, which has helped with the mood swings some - I was almost suicidal at one point. I still get very upset at PMS time, and I'm worried that I will make a bad decision, or more than one, if this continues. I do things like drive recklessly that I wouldn't normally do. I've discussed taking antidepressants with my doctor, but I don't need them all the time. It's just a limited amount of time that I feel bad. I don't see my OB-gyn until later on this year. I usually only go every 2 years for a PAP Smear.

Also, my mom was diagnosed with PPDD, and they gave her a medicine which made her really sleepy all the time. Don't want that with my work and school schedule. My doctor has always said that he thinks I have anxiety and depression (I disagree), and got me to take Elavil before bedtime. I've had trouble sleeping before, after getting over mono. I've been taking it since because I now can't sleep w/o it. It's a muscle relaxer. Supposedly non-habit forming. I'm thinking of taking some during the day, when I have these moodswings. It may be enough to settle me down. If you find a solution to the problem that works for you, please post it!

Old 03-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #14
    volcomrxy21
    (female)

volcomrxy21 HB User

I called my family doctor and have the appointment next Thursday morning. I will definitely update on what she says/prescribes and whether or not it helps.

I want to avoid antidepressants because of bad experiences in the past, but maybe a very low dose won't be so bad.

Thanks =-)

Old 03-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #15
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

Hi again...I just noticed LeeLee mentioned Elavil. It's a tricyclic antidepressant, not actually a muscle relaxer...although it does have sedative side effects and that might account for the muscles being able to relax. Be careful about taking it more than prescribed...since it's an antidepressant, I would talk to the doc before upping the dose. Elavil is one of the older antidepressants that used to be used more frequently before the availability of SSRI antidepressants like Prozac, Zoloft, etc. Some doctors give it to patients who can't tolerate SSRI's, who have trouble sleeping, who are having physical problems related to anxiety, etc. Maybe PMDD falls into this category...I don't know, but it would be worth asking about.

Good luck at your appt. volcomrxy21. Keep us posted

Closed Thread