It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Sex during period...could she be pregnant?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
    SmeagolsBane

SmeagolsBane HB User
    Sex during period...could she be pregnant?

My fiance and I recently had sex while she was on her period. She had started three days previously, and was no longer bleeding very much. It was without an contraceptives of any kind, and I did not pull out. Her cycle is generally 30 or more days.

She says she usually discharges all of her eggs the first day or two, and she also told me that she started bleeding a bit more after we had the sex.

So, is there a risk of pregnancy at all? Should we be at all worried?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2006, 11:32 PM   #2
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User
    Re: Sex during period...could she be pregnant?

I have read that you can get pregnant during your period. I was very surprised when I read it.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:55 AM   #3
    sunnydaze1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

Well, for one thing, your fiance is not "discharging her eggs" during her period. A period is just the normal; hormonal breakdown of the uterine lining...thus the bleeding. Her unfertilized egg would have disintegrated about 24 hours after she ovulated which is about two weeks before the period.

That being said, if you're sure she really was having her period and not experiencing mid-month bleeding due to ovulation..then it's unlikely she could become pregnant during that time. However, since sperm can live for up to nine days (so I've read) it is rather risky to have unprotected sex during that time. It would be more likely that she could become pregnant if she was one that had short cycles...like every 24 days or so. In other words, she may release an egg sooner than the usual day 14 and if you had sex during her period, the sperm would be already there to meet the egg.

If she has a 30 day cycle and is fairly regular to that, I really wouldn't worry about pregnancy. In the future, though, it's best to use protection any time of the month just to alleviate the stress and worry you're going through right now.

Last edited by sunnydaze1; 03-22-2006 at 06:56 PM.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
    SmeagolsBane

SmeagolsBane HB User

Yeah, she informed me that she thinks she ovulates rather later then most, and her cycle usualy is consistently longer then 28 days. Another thing, it was the fourth day of the period, and hers are usually pretty short, so she hadn't been bleeding too much that day, however after we had sex she started bleeding again more then she had previously that day. Could this have flushed any of the sperm out of her system?

She's not worried about pregancy, and I'm only a little bit so, I'm just double-checking on everything right now.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
    sunnydaze1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

Perhaps she began bleeding again just from having sexual relations and the flow increased because the bleeding wasn't fully stopped yet. I wouldn't really read too much into that, it's not that uncommon. As far as sperm being flushed out...no, don't think so. That's why sperm are called, "little swimmers". I'd relax about the whole thing really.

Like I said, just be careful any time of the month so you don't have to worry about pregnancy.

Closed Thread