It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• My 11 yr. old has her period for 12 days?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2006, 06:00 AM   #1
    cathy_613
    (female)

cathy_613 HB User
    My 11 yr. old has her period for 12 days?

My daughter got her 1st period 2 months ago, bled for a week and stopped. 28 days later she got it again, for about a week. 2 weeks after her second period, she got it again, and now has been bleeding for the past 12 days with no end in sight. The bleeding is not heavy, it is light to medium.

She is mortified and begged me not to call the dr. because she doesn't want them to have to check her down there. I read a few things on the internet that it could be a hormone problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
    sunnydaze1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
    Re: My 11 yr. old has her period for 12 days?

Being as she's so young, it probably is just her hormones acting up. I would say if the bleeding is not terribly heavy, let it go for another week or so and it might right itself. Sounds like she may have been at the ovulation point and maybe the egg just never developed and that could be why she's spotting. It's probably more of a nuisence for her than anything else.

Also, if she did go to the doctor, she may just have her belly prodded and nothing more or you could call and ask the doctor or the receptionist what they suggest. Doesn't mean you absolutely have to bring her in, that would be up to you to make the appointment.

But I really wouldn't worry, it's most likely a temporary situation right now.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
    Emma1985
    (female)

Emma1985 HB User

Hi,
    I can understand your concern but at the moment I wouldn't worry. I started my periods aged 10 and it was all crazy and irregular for the first year. Like your duaghter, I bled for 2 days, then nothing for 3 weeks, then 2 weeks of light bleeding, then 4 weeks of nothing, then heavy for 2 days............I'm sure you get the point! I think it's just the hormones getting stable which causes the irregularities. Hopefully it'll settle down naturally, I'm completely regular now 12 years on.
    Good luck!

Old 03-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
    cathy_613
    (female)

cathy_613 HB User

Thanks so much for your responses, I feel much better now. I did make an appointment with the female dr. at our pediatrician just to be on the safe side...I'll post a prognosis when we return. I just wish things could be easy for once!!

Old 03-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

when my daughter started a couple of years ago....there was a time frame of about 3 months where she was bleeding every 2 weeks....so i took her to the GYN.....they gave her prometrium...which halted this.....as bleeding that much (often) could cause her to become badly anemic. it has since been normal.

they did not have her remove her clothes....however, they did open her pants to see if she was "developing" normally.....(pubic hair)....that was embarrassing enough for my daughter....but...at least she was able to keep all clothes on and didnt have to "show everything!!". i am not certain that i would have allowed it to go that far anyways.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User

Yeah, I think you'll find that doctors will be very sensitive to her age. Heck, when I had problems at 22 as a virgin my gynecologist passed on the pelvic exam and just did an abdominal ultrasound to make sure I was ok, see how much endometrial lining was builidng up, etc.
    But just to ease your fears, even if the worst happened and things progressed and she needed a pelvic exam, my little sister had a completely positive experience with a pediatric gynecologist after she was sexually assaulted. She was able to ease her big sister's fears when it was time to go There were even some very young children in the office. Not saying your daughter will need anything that invasive, but the worst case scenario isn't even that bad if you go to a doctor who is trained to examine very young girls. Like the others said, it is normal to be irregular at first.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
    Quakes99
    (female)

Quakes99 HB User

My sister unexpectedly had her period when she was 9. They found it out to be a hormonal imballance. Not saying that yours is as well. But doing a lot of research for it, we also learned that it is quite common for first periods to be a not so pleasent experiance. Many of my friends's first periods were irregular, sometimes would come for a month straight then be gone for three. So it is common, and she should be fine! Pediatric doctors are great when dealing with issues with small children. My sister was able to calm everyone in the family down! And she was 9!

Old 03-29-2006, 03:51 AM   #8
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

its normal for it to be irregular for the first 2 years......but it is not normal, and definitely not healthy to bleed for weeks at a time. if a period lasts into the 2nd week....especially more than twice...its time to go to the GYN. but if you are bleeding for more than 2 weeks...i wouldnt wait to go.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:07 AM   #9
    cathy_613
    (female)

cathy_613 HB User

thanks everyone for your responses. I took her to the dr. yesterday afternoon and they assured me it is normal and we have to ride it out as she is to young to be put on birth control hormones, which is what they would give someone to control this problem. she was also tested for anemia, which she doesn't have at all. hopefully there is an end to this soon!

Closed Thread