It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Cronic Bacterial Vaginosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2006, 09:58 AM   #46
    wishiwerenormal
    (female)

wishiwerenormal HB User
    Re: Cronic Bacterial Vaginosis

Thanks gagirl30 for the encouragment!!!! Today is the last day of the metronidazol treatment and there has been no improvement. Actually since i started the med I got SEVERE, Intense itching and burning down there. I don't know if this is from the Meds, BV or the discharge. I have had itching in the past but never this bad. Did anyone on Metronidazol have this problem?

****Good luck with the peroxide. I've always been afraid to try it in the past since I've heard various mixed outcomes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #47
    gagirl30
    (female)

gagirl30 HB User

I actually started the peroxide today. I used half peroxide and half water. It didn't burn or anything. I will continue to do it and see if it makes any difference. I never had any problems with the antibiotic with burning and itching. Wishiwerenormal...it might be that it did not help your infection at all. Sorry, I know exactly what you are going through.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #48
    renigal
    (female)

renigal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gagirl30
    I do know that your body has to restore good bacteria. However, I can't just wait for it to happen without covering it up. It can get pretty bad. I've been going through this for years. I am 30 and I had the problem in high school. I have been a month or so at the time without any symptons. It is just awful. I use vinegar and water so that I know no one else will smell me. I also take the acidophilus pills. I'm just not having any luck.

Does the vinegar and water at least keep the smell away? If so, how do you use it/mix it?

Old 07-05-2006, 02:52 AM   #49
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I had another case of BV about 2 months or so ago. I went off to the doctor to get another prescription, but there was a new doctor there this time and she refused to keep treating me with antibiotics saying they are dangerous to your health.

She said that most women have BV and that if you let your system get used to it that the BV settles and that repeated uses of medication only make the situation worse. I was very skeptical in the extreme, but i followed her advice.

At that time things didn't smell the best down there, but then i had a period and the BV cleared up somewhat and the bad odour had gone completely. To this day it's not come back, not even after sex. I don't know why this is the case either.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #50
    gagirl30
    (female)

gagirl30 HB User

I just use an empty douche bottle. Mix half and half. I've also just mixed half and half and poured it over it just to rinse as well as inserting it. Yes, it did keep the smell away as long as I was doing it. I have tried for a few months of not doing anything at all to try and let my body adjust but I've had no luck so now I am trying the peroxide and water douche. I've still had the smell though. I was hoping to kick this in the butt. Instead it is kicking me. Good luck!

Old 07-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #51
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Early on i used to get itching due to a yeast infection after taking medication for the BV. After getting rid of the BV i'd have to take something to get rid of the yeast infection. It seemed like a never ending cycle!!

This all stopped once i began taking a probiotic capsule each day at least half and hour to one hour BEFORE meals. It's important to take probiotics on an empty stomach. While being on medication i'd usually up the probiotic to one before breakfast and one before my evening meal and no more yeast infections. Recently i had a bad case of the flu and also a bacterial mouth infection due to dental floss of all things!! I was on two lots of antibiotics equalling 900mg. I thought for sure i'd get a yeast infection as i always have in the past when the dosage is so high and i felt that not even the probiotic would surely help keep things balanced. But two and a half weeks down the track, no itching and no infection.

Simply get an over the counter product if it is yeast and start taking probiotics daily.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #52
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User

I think I may have this but haven't gotten officially diagnosed yet. I may be undergoing a D&C this week and don't know if the doc, possibly dx'ing me with BV, would want me on any oral antibiotics before the procedure.

After reading all of the stories that you have posted on this topic, giving personal anecdotes about your own situations, it makes me nervous that, if I do have it, that an oral Rx might not work, if it comes to that point.

I don't have any foul odor associated w/my problem. Close inspection reveals a discharge that's present up inside the vagina, it's itchy and burns, and is red inside the vaginal wall. I'm sure that I have something, but I don't know what that something is.

Good luck to all who are battling this annoying problem. If it's not one thing, it's another...

Old 07-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #53
    mgreenw
    (female)

mgreenw HB User

exhaled-
    did your doctor say that your BV was caused by GBS? a lot of women carry GBS (my doctor also mentioned it after looking at lab results), but i can't seem to find anything about whether there are symptoms associated with it. My only BV symptom is a constant need to urinate, so i wonder if my BV is slightly different from those with odor problems.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:36 AM   #54
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I just recalled another thing of interest regarding BV. I haven't had any problems recently, then i began to ovulate and i had some spotting during the ovulation time (which i seem to get for some reason) and i happened to 'smell' the chemical type of odour i sometimes experience with BV and i thought to myself "oh no, here we go again". Now the day after i smelt this odour, i've not experienced the odour at all.

This leads me to wonder if some of those doctors have been correct in stating that it's hormonal and most women experience some level of BV prior to their period? I am now keeping a chart to keep track of my varying BV symptoms. I'm already keeping one for my menstrual cycle so i'll have to see next month if the typical BV smell occurs around ovulation time when i believe women's hormones start to alter in preparation for a period.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:02 PM   #55
    shannonbarie
    (female)

shannonbarie HB User

I too feel everyone's pain with recurrent BV. I called my gyno's office and they said that he wants to see me. For crying out loud! I know what it is, why in the world do I have to come in??? But after thinking about it, the prescription that would be called in wouldn't work, long term anyway, so why bother. I've been reading numerous posts about this topic today and have come across a lot of good information and natural remedies to try. I whole heartedly agree that the prescriptions doc's give us do get rid of the bacteria.. both the good and bad. And with no good bacteria left, the bad can come back with a vengence. Because let's face it.. bacteria thrive in a dark, moist place. That's pretty much what the vagina is. The issue is trying to get the good bacteria balance back before the bad take over again. What a viscious cycle that so many of us are dealing with. I'm going to step up on the acidophilus supplements and yogurt. I've already changed to no dye, no perfume soaps and that includes laundry soaps. Oh, did you also know that fabric softener can cause problems? I have started washing my underwear separately and not using fabric softener when I dry them. That's a new thing.. I will let you know if it helps. I haven't worn underwear to bed in years so that was never an issue. If I do take a bath, I have added either hydrogen peroxide or apple cider vinegar to the bathwater, but it's basically to soak. When I start washing I'm not sitting in that soapy water. I'm not taking any chances. If I come across any other remedies that work I will be sure to pass them on.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #56
    gagirl30
    (female)

gagirl30 HB User

Please pass along anything that might help.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 AM   #57
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Shannon, they are good points you raised. I used to take only acidphilous powder, but have since found probiotics in capsule form and am now using one which has multiple strains of the good bacteria and not only the acidophilous. I may have mentioned it in one of my posts so sorry if i'm repeating myslef, i recently had a bad virus plus a mouth infection and the combined antibiotics i was taking was 900mg. Now that would have given me the BIGGEST yeast infection in the past, but simply taking the probiotic daily let me sail through with no side effects from the antibiotics.

I was also getting fairly regular BV and i noticed that it only happened since i've been with my current partner and i then thought it must be something to do with him and sex. It might not be very romantic, but now after sex i go and wash down there and make certain i urinate as soon as i can afterwards and while on the toilet let as much of his orgasm go down the toilet (sorry, no better way of wording that last bit ). Since i've kept this routine up i've luckily had nothing that has worried me. I did get a scare one day recently and that was at time of ovulation, but it only smelt for that one day and never since.

Somehow i dont think doctors will find answers any time soon as we're all individuals and nobody can really make a connection as to why they have BV. At least with yeast i know if i have it that it was due to antibiotics but with BV it seemed to be sex and my partner, but now it's kind of died down. Yet some other females have BV and they aren't even in a sexual relationship. It's totally got me confused.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:21 PM   #58
    Pixies
    (female)

Pixies HB User

My doctor gave me a perscription for clindesse which didn't work and now he wants me to use boric acid pills you insert - anyone ever try this? I got BV right after giving birth to my son two months ago.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #59
    gagirl30
    (female)

gagirl30 HB User

Is the boric acid pills a perscription form? I used a perscription but it was called propionate acid suppositories. They never cured the problem. I to this day still have problems and I have for about 12 years now.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #60
    Pixies
    (female)

Pixies HB User

gagirl30,
    He hasn't given me the perscription yet for them, not sure what they are really called. I'll let you know. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by Pixies; 07-20-2006 at 10:26 AM.

Closed Thread