It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Cronic Bacterial Vaginosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
    RiAnne
    (female)

RiAnne HB User
    Re: Cronic Bacterial Vaginosis

I tried the 4 pills all at once and i've tried the twice a day for a week thing. It keeps coming back. I don't know what's going on. I keep going back to the doctor over and over again. It started when i went on birth control pills. my only hope now is that the birth control pills i'm on is causing the problem. i'm going to change the brand that i use and hopefully that will help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
    exhaled
    (female)

exhaled HB User

Do you know what caused your BV? From what I understand, there are many things that cause it. The trick is figuring out the cause.

I just found out that I have GBS (group b streptococcus). I have all the typical symptoms of BV. However, I have the test results to prove that it is because of GBS.

Anyway, I've been on so many meds that do not help. This is going on over a year. The trick is finding out what actually cures it for your body. I'm still working with my doctors on oral pills and creams. I hear the best one is penicillin.

Maybe check with your doctor and ask if it could be GBS.

Also, a good trick is to request to see your test results for yourself. I found my doctor out on two different things because I looked at my own test results. The lab will put recommendations on meds in the paperwork.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
    j baby
    (female)

j baby HB User

Are you currently sexually active? I have found that with certain partners in the past whose ph was so different from mine, I had reoccuring problems.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
    Andra31
    (female)

Andra31 HB User

Have you ever tried avalox for this and did ot work?

Old 03-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
    jac1968
    (female)

jac1968 HB User
    BV and contraceptives

In a BV support group I belong to, many of the women link their recurring BV to the same time they started taking birth control pills.

I found in my own personal research, many BC pills contain iron. Iron is need for bacteria to grow. It could have no relevance but I found that fact interesting nonetheless. Maybe the iron from the bc is feeing the anaerobic (bad) bacteria in our bodies and that is what causes it to overpower the good stuff. For some women anyway. Again - this is all a theory of mine, I have no proof.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:35 PM   #6
    RiAnne
    (female)

RiAnne HB User
    Re: BV and contraceptives

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jac1968
    In a BV support group I belong to, many of the women link their recurring BV to the same time they started taking birth control pills.

I found in my own personal research, many BC pills contain iron. Iron is need for bacteria to grow. It could have no relevance but I found that fact interesting nonetheless. Maybe the iron from the bc is feeing the anaerobic (bad) bacteria in our bodies and that is what causes it to overpower the good stuff. For some women anyway. Again - this is all a theory of mine, I have no proof.
    i definitely think that there is something to birth control pills and BV. cause i got BV at the same time that i started taking birth control. i just can't believe that after all this time doctors can't figure this out and treat it. crazy.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:18 AM   #7
    jac1968
    (female)

jac1968 HB User

I hear ya. But there are so many kinds of birth control pills out there and not everyone has a problem because of them.

Have you considered going off the pill to see if that helps you? In my case, I stopped the pill many years before I ever got BV. I've never figured out my trigger.

so many women go to huge extremes trying to alter their lifestyle to get rid of this - no sugar, no gluten, boiling underwear... I refuse to alter my life to that extreme. It's bad enough I have to live with this.

What is your worst symptom? I may have some ideas on how to counter it. That's where the yahoo support group comes in handy. No idea how to cure it but there are some things you can do to manage it so you can try and have a life. It becomes all consuming, I know.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:42 AM   #8
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Ok, here's my personal take on BV. With my first long term partner i never ever experienced BV. My first case of BV was with my second long term partner and he is the only partner i have ever experienced this with in fact. I am not on the pill, so it can't be pill related in my case. In my research i came across something regarding men who have had vasectomies and stating that their acid/alkiline % after orgasm can be higher than normal (i'm never sure which is bad to be for a man, acid or alkiline). Now i know not all the ladies suffering from BV have men with vasectomies, but i this was something i'd read so i dont know if it helps anybody.

I've had the one dosage medication and it's done nothing for me. Only the 7 day treatments have worked for me. Luckily each time i've had BV it's only been a bit smelly and a watery type of discharge. I went to a clinic where they did a vaginal swab and i waited a few minutes and they came back with the results very quick.

One time when i went to get tested it was leading up to my period and the nurse said that there was no use in doing a swab as she would surely find BV as she said a lot of women naturally get BV prior to a period and it settles once you have had your period.

Another doctor also told me that a lot of women have mild forms of BV but don't know it and it simply comes and goes and nobody in the medical field is really certain why this happens.

I don't use any soaps down there, just warm water. I take one probiotic daily. I try to keep a healthy diet going. I make certain my partner has washed his hands if possible before any sexual activities as i used to wonder if germs on hands that you naturally pick up in your daily life can lead to BV. Also could any particular germ in the mouth lead to BV as a result of oral? I mean it's got to start somewhere and women who aren't have a sexual relationship oftem mention that they never seem to get yeast or BV. So there must be a connection of some type.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
    RiAnne
    (female)

RiAnne HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jac1968
    I hear ya. But there are so many kinds of birth control pills out there and not everyone has a problem because of them.

Have you considered going off the pill to see if that helps you? In my case, I stopped the pill many years before I ever got BV. I've never figured out my trigger.

so many women go to huge extremes trying to alter their lifestyle to get rid of this - no sugar, no gluten, boiling underwear... I refuse to alter my life to that extreme. It's bad enough I have to live with this.

What is your worst symptom? I may have some ideas on how to counter it. That's where the yahoo support group comes in handy. No idea how to cure it but there are some things you can do to manage it so you can try and have a life. It becomes all consuming, I know.
    the worst symptom is the odor. sometimes it's so strong i can smell it through my clothing, even if i have on pants. it's awful.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:12 AM   #10
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I agree with the odour bit, that is the worst part of the symptoms for me each time i've had this. It's really quite weird, there i am sitting at work and i can just smell it eminating up my shirt front!! Then i wonder if others can smell it and i get paranoid.

What i'm really curious about is..... have other women noticed they have only gotten BV with a particular partner or is it something they've had with every partner they have ever had? I've only ever experienced this with my current partner and i don't have a yeast infection at all. I take a daily probiotic which is so good that even if i take antibiotics i don't end up getting a yeast infection. So i figure the BV must be due to my partner and the acid/alkiline created within the vaginal area after sex.

If it is due solely to my partner i wonder if washing/douching the vaginal area with plain water right after sex would help the situation? I know douching can be unsafe in a lot of cases, but using plain water might be ok.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:53 AM   #11
    RiAnne
    (female)

RiAnne HB User

i've douched with plain water and i've also douched with yogurt. i just had my period so i'm wondering if it'll go away on it's own in a few days. we'll see. i also noticed that i started having symptoms with my current partner.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
    MeAndMyVagina
    (female)

MeAndMyVagina HB User

Doctors take the lowest dose possible for these problems at first. One four pill dose, metrogel, etc. If you've had more than four infections over a four month period of time though, you have what is called recurring BV. You have to really get out the big guns for this. If your doctor won't prescribe it, you need a doctor that will. This involves a ten day course of metronidizole oral 500 mgs. twice daily in combination with the metrogel. If this doesn't work you need a twenty day course of Metronidizole oral. If this doesn't work you need the 20 day oral with the metro gel at the same time. This covers the spectrum. You will have to go on alternative drug in between Metro oral/gel treatments though because this stuff can cause horrific side effects. I personally have reached the point where none of this works (lucky me). I'm trying a new herbal product called enzara in combinantion with a ph balancing gel called rephresh. So far I've received some relief of symptoms, but it's still there in a lowgrade way.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #13
    Karin60
    (female)

Karin60 HB User

Poor soles, I guess just as some women contend with cystitis and thrush we have BV. I'd like to think there was a magic answer but as a long term sufferer I've yet to find one. I've found that sexual abstinence makes no difference, long term antibiotic use for chronic cases will not provide a cure. The answer for me has been maintenance and more research. BV has a habit of becoming a problem prior to periods, following periods, during ovulation, following ovulation and following sex. During these times there is an alteration in the vaginal mucous which does alter the ph. I've found however that using ph stabilising gels don't really work. My fool proof method has been the use of acidophilus. A good yogurt with lots of beneficial bacteria inserted during crucial times as mentioned works well. If you can find acidophilus pessaries or other types of treatment with this bacteria I'm sure it will offer relief. Some things are worth considering. A nutritionally balanced diet such as a 'liver cleansing diet' and loads of raw eating and juicing + your 8 glasses of water per day is always helpful.

I'd like to add that during my 3 pregnancies i've never had symptoms. This I believe is related to the increase in progesterone levels. Oestrogen dominence, is implicated in many women's health concerns, irrespective of their age and many women's health professionals believe 'natural progesterone', the type you rub into your skin can cure many of these nasties. I haven't yet tried this, just thought this might provide some answers for the lack of symptoms during pregnancy.

Good luck

Old 04-06-2006, 12:26 AM   #14
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the info Karin60, but i already eat healthy, drink water, take a probiotic daily and do a tonne of other things. As i've outlined in my posts, my BV only began to occur with my current partner and prior to him i've never ever had BV. I'm convinced it's him due to the fact that i took my BV medication when he had to go away for work and even after having my periods i never got BV again until he came back home and we had sex. Therefore i'm convinced it's something to do with him and the sex.

Also the one dosage meds never worked for me, i've had to take the 7 day 2 tablets per day dosage and it went away nicely.

Makes me wonder, is the BV trying to tell me that he's not the one for me..... On the other hand, i wonder if it's his diet which is causing his ejaculation fluids to be too acid/alkiline for me?

Old 04-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #15
    Karin60
    (female)

Karin60 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Cronic Bacterial Vaginosis

Audrey-B you could always try using a condom to rule out that possibility. It seems we do everything we can to change our lifestyles, perhaps the guys need to do their bit. Probiotics are great I take one every day, but I find inserting biodynamic yoghourt does wonders in correcting the balance. I understand it can be a little messy but it's worth trying. Use a vaginal applicator and syringe a teaspon size amount into it, best to use before bed. In Australia our 'Jalna' brand contains really high levels of the good bacteria.

I understand how frustrating BV can be, but don't give up on your partner if this is the only down side to the relationship. I personally have had the problem persist irrespective of partners. If you can pinpoint BV corresponding to sex then perhaps re-establishing the good flora each time, (whilst not providing the ultimate cure) may at least assist.

Don't give up yet.

Closed Thread