It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Horribly embarrassing problem: excessive hair growth... EVERYWHERE! Please help me!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #1
    Melissa765
    (female)

Melissa765 HB User
    Angry Horribly embarrassing problem: excessive hair growth... EVERYWHERE! Please help me!

Hi,

I've unfortunately been suffering from excessive hair growth for a while (since I've been like 12 or 13 I believe). I'm not quite 16 yet, but I don't know what to do about it. I'm Italian, Spanish, and Irish ("black" Irish though, as in darker and more Italian looking), so I don't know if it's just my heredity making me hairy, but I literally have dark (but not course!) hair, ALL OVER MY BODY! The hair on my lower legs in somewhat course (but I think that's normal), but I have hair ALL the way up my legs, over my buttocks, on my back, arms, stomach, and chest. It's darker in some places than in others (i.e. arms are darker than back, buttocks, etc.), but it's definitely everywhere. It's almost like I have the normal "peach fuzz" that everyone has, except for mine is just a darker color. I have thick, very curly, black hair on my head, black eyebrows, etc., so maybe this is normal??? What's starting to freak me out is that it seems like it's getting worse (perhaps I'm just noticing it more now that I'm getting older and wanting to wear bikinis and such... ).

Oh, and also the facial hair! I have (well, had) the thickest eyebrows that I've ever seen! I've plucked them and gotten them under control, but I also have hair all over my face. Now, this isn't noticeable unless you're like an inch away, but it's like even on my forehead, growing down towards my eyebrows, and then it fades away before it reaches my eyebrows, and then it starts getting darker again right before it gets to my eyebrows! I also have upper-lip hair, which I pluck, but I can't get rid of it all.

Please, does anyone know what this could be??? I've had hormone tests, and they came back NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????? ??? I also don't have any other symptoms of hormone imbalances I don't think (I don't have acne, I have regular periods, etc.). That's just left me more confused than ever! I'm considering seeing an endocrinologist, but is that the right kind of doctor? I mean, if I don't have a hormone problem, what will they do?

Can someone please help? THANKS SO MUCH IF YOU CAN!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
    Re: Horribly embarrassing problem: excessive hair growth... EVERYWHERE! Please help me!

Bless your heart. I think and endo might be a good idea. Hopefully someone with some real advice will come along soon. Try not to stress in the meantime.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:01 AM   #3
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User
    Re: Horribly embarrassing problem: excessive hair growth... EVERYWHERE! Please help me!

It could be hereditary. My husband is Hispanic and Italian and is very hairy. My 19 year old daughter took after him. She is not happy about it either. So you need to look at your dad, mom and other relatives to see if they have hair like you. If they do, then you know the odds are it is hereditary and you just need to wax or thread.

You might want to try the Jolene hair bleach for facial hair. It can be found at Walgreens or Longs.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:49 AM   #4
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
    Re: Horribly embarrassing problem: excessive hair growth... EVERYWHERE! Please help

I'm Jewish and took after my father, unfortunately. I'm menopausal also which brings out the hair growth on chin and upper lip. I know how you feel. I agree that you should see an Endocrinologist.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:37 AM   #5
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

What were your male & female hormone levels. The range runs from 20 to 90 years old.

Your female estrogen levels should be in the upper 1/2 half of the range & the male testosterone levels should be at the bottom 1/4 of the range.

Get a copy of the test results for your personal records.

Most doctors will say the test was normal if it falls anywhere in the rage of test subjects. for a teen the result is not normal if it is at the level of a 90 year old person.

Old 05-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
    Melissa765
    (female)

Melissa765 HB User
    Re: Horribly embarrassing problem: excessive hair growth... EVERYWHERE! Please help

Thanks for the advice everyone! It's good to know that this doesn't necessarily mean that there is something seriously wrong with me (i.e. PCOS), and it could just be from my parents. The thing is, my father is pretty hairy, but has lighter hair (lighter brown), and my mother is less hairy, but has almost black hair, so it's like I got the hairiness from my father, but the COLOR from my mother! My aunt also has some hair on her abdomen, although it's not as noticeable, and a few women in my family have had upper lip hair.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JinL
    What were your male & female hormone levels. The range runs from 20 to 90 years old.

Your female estrogen levels should be in the upper 1/2 half of the range & the male testosterone levels should be at the bottom 1/4 of the range.

Get a copy of the test results for your personal records.

Most doctors will say the test was normal if it falls anywhere in the rage of test subjects. for a teen the result is not normal if it is at the level of a 90 year old person.
    I already have the test results at home, and here is what it says (these are the only things on there that were tested related to hormones):

FSH - 7.0 MIU/ML (5 - 30) ... or so I read online would be the normal range [ they didn't have it on the results for some reason]
    TSH (Thyriod Stim Hormone) - 1.2 UIU/ML (0.3 - 5.5)
    Testosterone - 44 NG / DL (20 - 76)
    LH - 3.9 MIU/ML (again, no "expected range")

And that's it! It seems to me like they should have tested me for more hormone related things! A lot of it had to do with WBC and Lymphs, neutrophil, etc. That stuff was all a little off though because I was extremely sick with a sinus infection (don't ask me why they didn't say to reschedule the physical).

Anyway, this was a pediatrician that I went to, so I'm sure that the expected ranges were in the pediactric female range, not the adult female range... or I think so anyway. Do you know what the normal range would be?

I've also had a few thyroid tests because my aunt has thyroid problems, and when I started having vision changes (turns out that it was from a pinched nerve), they thought that may be what it was.

Jeepers! I just hope I can get this under control!

EDIT: I should also add though that both my mother and my aunt have had cysts on their ovaries! I don't know if that's the same thing as PCOS, or if it's even hereditary, but I just thought I'd throw it in there as well.

Last edited by Melissa765; 05-14-2006 at 08:48 AM.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
    prettypixie
    (female)

prettypixie HB User
    Unhappy Re: Horribly embarrassing problem: excessive hair growth... EVERYWHERE! Please help me!

ah i totally know what you're going through. im,white british & 19 and have had a similar thing to you since i was about 12. its so embarresing it knocks my confidance somethin bad! i've been with my boyfriend for 3 years now and i wont let him touch my bum or see it!! i havent told him why.... might sound silly but its making me depressed!

my hair problems are only on my bum and just under my belly button, i can handle the belly part with joleen cream and a razor, although its still not nice, but its the butt thats the problem! i cant wear a bikini, i have to wear those shorts and a bikini top insted, it limits what i can wear.

i shaved when i was younger, so my grows more thick which makes it look even darker, which is awfull.
    what do you do about it? do you use any hair removal creams? i know that theres not much you can use on your bum area....

i've heard being over weight can make you more hairy (not sure if thats true..) but im quiet slim and i look after my apperance.

so, just to let you know, i know how u feel!! let me know what you do or are going to do to get rid of it! xx

Last edited by prettypixie; 05-14-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
    Melissa765
    (female)

Melissa765 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prettypixie
    ah i totally know what you're going through. im,white british & 19 and have had a similar thing to you since i was about 12. its so embarresing it knocks my confidance somethin bad! i've been with my boyfriend for 3 years now and i wont let him touch my bum or see it!! i havent told him why.... might sound silly but its making me depressed!

my hair problems are only on my bum and just under my belly button, i can handle the belly part with joleen cream and a razor, although its still not nice, but its the butt thats the problem! i cant wear a bikini, i have to wear those shorts and a bikini top insted, it limits what i can wear.

i shaved when i was younger, so my grows more thick which makes it look even darker, which is awfull.
    what do you do about it? do you use any hair removal creams? i know that theres not much you can use on your bum area....

i've heard being over weight can make you more hairy (not sure if thats true..) but im quiet slim and i look after my apperance.

so, just to let you know, i know how u feel!! let me know what you do or are going to do to get rid of it! xx

Hi! Again, it's good to know that I'm not alone (but it's terrible that someone else has to suffer with it too!). I actually bleach (with the Joleen) almost my ENTIRE body (including arms, back, shoulders, and chest), and wax my lower stomach under the belly button with Nads, just so that I can wear a bikini. I just shave my legs, all the way to the top (near my butt), but luckily, the hair fades away so that it's not very noticable (again, unless you're like an inch away) on my butt itself. lol The tough part for me is that I'm very dark-haired and have olive skin, so when I have blonde hair, I look ridiculous, so I only bleach it so that it's light light-ish brown. How complicated!

For any hair on my face, I just pluck it! It's tiring, but it works.

Once I get this straightened out and find out if it's hereditary or if it's hormonal, my mother said that I can get laser hair removal, which will hopefully take care of it! It's soooooo expensive though. The lady said that it's $125/ treatment for my stomach alone, and it could take up to 7 treatments.

Have you found out what's causing it for you? Have you had any hormone tests or seen any doctors for it?

Old 05-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
    prettypixie
    (female)

prettypixie HB User

to be perfectly honest i've been too embarresed to ask the docs, or even tell anyone at all! i supose i should though, i'm actually going for an apointment tomorrow about something else,(i've been fainting and had breathing probs) which i've had blood tests for.

i'd like laser hair removal, do you know wether its painfull? ... id do anything to get rid of this lol, and i work full time so i'd be able to save for it.
    did your doctor refur you to a laser hair-removal place? and did they have to look at your problem areas? i just cant imagine lying on my back for a few hours litrally butt naked,lol abit embarresing to say the least!

what exactly did you tell your doctor, and what did he/she do? did they examine you?

sorry about all the questions, its just nice to finally be able to speak to someone else about it! xx

Old 05-15-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
    Melissa765
    (female)

Melissa765 HB User

Hey, well I hope everything worked out today with the fainting! That can be scary! (I've been near fainting... but luckily catching myself first... because of medicine I'm on for a back injury).

Supposedly the laser hair removal isn't really painful. My aunt, who is an electrologist, said that it feels like a pinch or an elastic flicking on your skin. You're not alone in the embarrassment either: I won't even tell my own aunt that *I'M* the one with the excessive hair... I have to pretend that my questions are just out of curiosity. LOL

You can actually get laser hair removal done at spas, or at dermatologist offices. I'd go to a dermatologist personally, just because they probably know what they're doing and have more experience. Then again, when I get mine done, I'm going to my aunt's friend, and she has her own spa... so IDK. Just make sure you trust wherever you so. And if it's really cheap, you know there's something wrong. The $125/session is with the deal because it's my aunt's friend, but usually it's $175 PER ARMPIT/session!!!!! So like if you went to a spa offering your entire butt for $30/session, you'd know something was probably up... and you don't want scars or any skin damage in place of hair I don't think.

I didn't go for the consult yet because I'm getting my hormones tested AGAIN in a few weeks when I go to the dermatologist (about an unrelated problem... just checking a freckle to make sure it's okay), to make absolutely sure that nothing is off, because if your hormones are even SLIGHTLY off, the hair will grow back again and again, EVEN WITH THE LASER. So yeah, before you go spending tons of money on it, I'd definitely at least get tested. You don't even have to tell your doctor that you have excessive hair (or at least I didn't); just say that you want your hormones tested b/c your mom had early hormone changes or something like that. The good news is that if it IS hormonal, you can take either estrogen or birth control pills (I think), and it'll stop the hair growth!!!!!!! ... And if it's not (which I guess is better in a way because it's good to not have health problems), the laser will take care of it forever.

They do have to look at the hair though at the laser-place, but they're very respectful that it's a sensitive subject and it's embarrassing, so it's not like you'll be sitting there naked for hours... I'd guess that it would probably only take like 1-2 minutes to first examine the hair (they basically just want to see how much hair there is, how course it is, the darkness, etc.), and then 10-20 minutes for each treatment -- not anywhere NEAR hours! So don't worry about that! Plus, you have to remember that people aren't going for laser hair removal because they have three stray hairs on their elbow -- they most-likely have pretty 'excessive' hair, like you and I, so that's what these people see ALL the time. I mean, if they do men's hair bums (my aunt said she gets those calls all the time... hahahaha), I'm sure your butt won't even phase them!

Take care and I hope your fainting and breathing feels better as well!

Last edited by Melissa765; 05-15-2006 at 04:53 PM.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #11
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User

My 21 year old daughter was tired of shaving her legs every day (Italian & Hispanic) and inquired at the dermatologist about laser hair removal. It was $800 and the doctor said that he could only guarantee that 60% of the hair would be gone forever. She decided not to do it because it meant that she would still be shaving every day to get the leftover 40%.

You may want to ask what percentage would be totally gone before the procedure.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #12
    Tatertotsmommie
    (female)

Tatertotsmommie HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Horribly embarrassing problem: excessive hair growth... EVERYWHERE! Please help me!

I don't think I saw that anyone suggested this.....
    There is a drug called Spironolactone (brand name Aldactone) that is used to treat Hirsutism (excessive hair growth) in women. It is a potassium-sparing diuretic that is usually prescribed to treat high blood pressure, but it also inhibits excessive production of androgens, which inhibits the excessive hair growth.
    I was on this medication to treat my hormonal acne a few years back, and it helped. It helps with acne for the same reason it helps with the excessive hair growth.
    I'm sure it's not for everyone but it's worth mentioning to your doctor to see if he/she may think it's right for you.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #13
    Melissa765
    (female)

Melissa765 HB User
    Question Re: Horribly embarrassing problem: excessive hair growth... EVERYWHERE! Please help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tatertotsmommie
    I don't think I saw that anyone suggested this.....
    There is a drug called Spironolactone (brand name Aldactone) that is used to treat Hirsutism (excessive hair growth) in women. It is a potassium-sparing diuretic that is usually prescribed to treat high blood pressure, but it also inhibits excessive production of androgens, which inhibits the excessive hair growth.
    I was on this medication to treat my hormonal acne a few years back, and it helped. It helps with acne for the same reason it helps with the excessive hair growth.
    I'm sure it's not for everyone but it's worth mentioning to your doctor to see if he/she may think it's right for you.

Thanks for the info... Does it only help if the hirsutism is caused by a hormone imbalance?

Old 05-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #14
    happiness is
    (female)

happiness is HB User

Yes it will only work if it is hormonal. It's actually a medicine meant for high blood pressure but it is also the drug of choice used by endos when huritism is caused by a hormonal problem. It does sound like yours is hormonal especially if it is getting worse. The endo will performs tests that will provide him with the information as to whether this infact being caused by a hormonal imbalance. It could also be caused by a growth in the ovaries but by the sounds of it, the endo is the best route to go.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Melissa765
    Thanks for the info... Does it only help if the hirsutism is caused by a hormone imbalance?

Last edited by happiness is; 05-16-2006 at 01:29 PM.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #15
    Melissa765
    (female)

Melissa765 HB User

Well, I got an appointment with a pediactric, hormone imbalance, excessive-hair-growth endocrinologist!!! It's like this doctor was made JUST FOR ME! However, the appointment isn't until August. If it IS a hormone imbalance, and I've lived with it for 4 years now, a few more months won't really hurt me, will it? I'm also going to a dermatologist in a few weeks, and I was thinking of mentioning it to her since I know that they do laser hair removal at that facility. Do any of you know if dermatologists ever order hormone tests, and if they do... and there is a problem... would they know what to do? Could they put me on some medication or birth control or SOMETHING to stop this hairiness?!

Closed Thread