It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Sebaceous Cyst Found in Gyno Region: Doc is conservative

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User
    Sebaceous Cyst Found in Gyno Region: Doc is conservative

Hello, ladies.

First off, this is rather long, but please bear with me!

I'm trying to get some more feedback from women who have experienced this so as to try to get to some sort of resolution about my problem.

Almost 3 years ago, I started noticing soreness and a slight itching in the upper folds of skin (labia area). Upon inspection one day around that time, I felt a small pimple-like "bump." I brought it to the attention of a former OB/GYN that I had, the same guy who performed my third c section.

Now, this 'bump' (which I recently found out is a very deep-rooted sebaceous cyst), moves around like these cysts tend to do, so it can be difficult to 'recreate' it for a physician to see.

The doc at that time obviously didn't have much of a clue what I was trying to tell him and wrote the words "vulvar lymph node" on the medical paper. I don't remember him telling me these words to my face.

I looked up the topic online, and all I saw on the subject was the word cancer, which obviously scared me, so I sought a 2nd opinion, this time from a totally different OB whom I had never seen before.

She was thorough with the exam but came up with zippo; that is, she didn't see any problems, growths, bumps, etc. in the area. I felt reassured by this and went on my way, cyst in tow (unbeknownst to me, of course...
    )

Fast forward to now: In December of 2005, I had a cat scan to confirm a ventral/incisiona hernia that I incurred after my last c section. My surgery was in January 2006. The ct scan also revealed a dermoid cyst on my left ovary. That was surgically removed in March.

At my first post op visit with my new OB GYN, I brought up the subject of this 'mysterious' irritation in the gyno area, but he didn't take the time to look at it but mentioned something about prescribing [Diflucan, I think], although I didn't see how he could prescribe ANYTHING w/out first looking at the area in question (just a typical response that a lot of these doctors have...)

I got a new doc because I didn't want to deal with the 'old' group, and I needed a doc who had privileges at the same city hospital where my hernia surgery took place at in the event both docs needed to work side by side in the operating room because I have hernia mesh inside of me...)

BTW, the general surgeon didn't need to assist...

Moving on...

This cyst was still active when I had my second post op visit with the new OB GYN. He did look at the area but actually seemed more concerned about taking a culture, which did not turn up yeast or bacteria.

However, he showed no signs of detecting any cysts. Amazing, isn't it? (insert sarcasm)

Well, he [automatically] prescribed Temovate, a very high-powered steroid cream and wrote down 'dermatitis.' Lots of previous online research had me wondering if this is what the problem was.

Well, let's try something, I thought. So I did.

During the first week/week and a half of the treatment, the skin felt a little better, and I had no ill effects from it. The 'warning' on the paperwork associated with this cream said that it could thin the skin, it could get into one's bloodstream (that might be if you used it beyond the time you were told to), which was 2 weeks tops and no longer, you are to report use of this cream (present or past use) to all of your doctors, and you should watch out for any of the side effects listed for up to 1 year after discontinuing it. Sounds kind of major, eh?

Well, towards the end of the treatment, I had made up my mind to ask the doctor about the subject of vulvodynia/see if he was knowledgeable about it and if he was willing to put up with some trials to see if they would help because the area was still sore, etc.

It never got to that point.

Guess why?

Well, 2 Sundays ago, the Sunday before Mother's Day, around 12 noon, I would notice that the area (the left side) started to HURT, which escalated into pain for over 2 hours. I finally took a peek with a mirror and a flashlight, and the area was red and extremely inflamed. A second look (and feel) revealed a large lump somewhere deep inside my skin.

This really got me going, and I was almost ready to go to the [city] hospital where I've had my 2 surgeries at.

It was Sunday; go figure.

I did soak in the tub, at the advice of a friend of mine who's a nursing supervisor at a local hospital, and the pain went down considerably, but the lump remained well into the next morning, good for the doctor to finally see.

I was fortunate enough to get a same-day appt. with him. I actually had to point to the area that was injured. He said right away that I had a cyst (imagine that! I've had a pilonidal cyst (tailbone) and the dermoid cyst on my ovary, and now a sebaceous cyst in the gyno region. Great, just great! )

He took a sample of fluid or something when he left the room. I thought for sure he was going to get his tools (he made it known that he wasn't going to do anything surgically rather quickly, though) and lance or extract the thing.

His philosophy (here it comes) was for me to either take sitz baths or have tub soaks to "try to get it to come to a head." Why in the world would it do that in one week if it hadn't done anything in nearly three years?? My mom didn't understand that theory, either.

I conceded and asked him what to expect from him in a week if this was still bothering me. He said that he'd lance it (he wasn't looking at me when he said it, like he was arguing with himself in an effort to provide me with an answer).

One thing (there is more than one) that bugs me is that he revealed to me that he usually "sees 2-3 of these a day" when women have their yearly exams and asks THEM if they know that they have one/does it bother THEM? Why didn't he see mine in January when I had my exam or the other day then?

The jury's still out on that one...

Well, I went ahead and made my appt. ahead of time, that Thursday, for the visit that took place this past Thursday, May 18, with the full intent that the cyst was "going down..." ha ha

No such luck!

Got in there, told his medical assistant that it was still bothering me, he came into the room when I only had gotten my shoes off (any other time he seems to take his time...), and he looked at it, almost didn't 'find' it, and, from the way he was acting/talking, it was evident that nothing surgically was going to take place! Can you believe it??

He said that

1) It's small and deep rooted (knew that).

2) It's not infected or inflamed.

3) It's 4 mm in size

4) It's sebaceous in nature (so what?!) and, because it freely moves around and is not of a malignant nature, that there's no need to "do overkill" on it.

5) Said that it's here to stay.

I think he's a good doctor; he's a patient doctor (he'd have to be to deal with a 2-hour dermoid cyst removal and saved my ovary in the process! LOL), and I think, once he knows the game plan, he's the guy to have on one's 'team,' but I had already figured out for myself that he's on the side of the "conservative camp."

I asked him what am I supposed to do if it flares up again? He said, "I'm a surgeon (duh!), and people think of surgeons as knife happy (not his words but mine), and I'll be more than happy to get out my tools then..." blah blah

From what I've been reading online, a doctor doesn't want to lance/excise something if the area is infected. Is this the norm?

Is this solely an Ob/gyn's territory, or could a dermatologist handle it due to it involving the skin? This is what I'm confused about.

I made an appt. with a diferent ob/gyn in the city for 2 weeks (I can't get in any sooner) for a 2nd opinion on the matter. If he doesn't want to do anything with it, I don't know what I'll do. My spouse's job will be ending in the middle of July, and we won't have health insurance coverage after that date. I made this known to my present ob/gyn because I was trying to relay to him that I'm trying to take care of this thing NOW.

I can't understand why he would retreat, not doing anything, when he knew full well that we were 'in agreement' about the plan. I don't know how much experience he has with these, as I think this is his first ob/gyn job (he's in a group practice).

Thoughts welcome,

Hoosier

Have any of you ladies experienced a similar situation?

P.S. I wanted it excised, as I know that all a lancing is involves an incision and drainage, and that doesn't remove the sac/cavity that the cyst is in, and the cyst would recur/still be there, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
    Re: Sebaceous Cyst Found in Gyno Region: Doc is conservative

Hopefully you'll get this resolved with the new doc. I can see where you're very frustrated with this!

I'm finding more and more you need to get very specific with docs, i.e., "I'm in pain, I want it out," or, "I know this BC pill is causing 'BLANK,' I'd like to switch to XYZ," or, "I don't want a statin; what can I do with my diet and exercise plan to improve cholesterol?" It's weird. My hubby's doc reads him the riot act if DH reads what the doc terms "garbage" on the Internet before an appointment. My gyno has specifically asked me what I've learned on the Internet about different side effects on different BC pills, as though his nose is buried in a book and he doesn't know what the patients are saying/feeling.

Anyway...

I have a sebaceous cyst, too, that I found last summer, a really tiny one, about the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen. It's right on the tip of my clitoris. No pain, no itchiness. I'm on the other end of the spectrum as you, tho. I do not want it removed! I'm so afraid my sensitivity will change if a knife goes there. If the cyst appeared one centimeter away from where it did in any direction, I'd probably feel different and want it lanced.

Like you, my doc was very conservative. He examined it, palpated it and said it's nothing, just a sebaceous cyst. He'll lance it if I want him to, just say the word. He gave me no cream, but I wasn't in pain, either.

Good luck with your next second opinion appointment. I hope you get this resolved!

Old 05-22-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
    kerri0500
    Veteran
    (female)

kerri0500 HB User

i dont know whether you should/should not get it removed or whatever but let me tell you,.....i had one excised on my very upper thigh. it is not just a simple cut and drainage. they pack it afterwards.....it HURTS LIKE HECK! it feels like someone is stabbing you. that was on my thigh. i cant imagine what it would feel like inthe area you are talking about....when they pack it, they put gauze in i...it has to be jammed in there. i had to go daily for a week. perhaps that is why the doc is reluctant to do anything(?)

Old 05-22-2006, 06:31 AM   #4
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User

Thanks, ladies, for the added replies.

Say, I've already been through the packing scenario when I had my pilonidal cystectomy performed in March of 2002. If it's actually excised, I don't know if packing is involved. If it's an I&D, like with a Bartholin's gland cyst, then I read online where docs use what's known as a Word catheter for a few weeks and then remove the catheter.

Sure, it's going to be painful no matter whether a doc would lance or excise it, but I experienced a bunch of pain 2 weeks ago when it flared up, and I couldn't walk properly (had to keep my left leg outward; ha ha)

I don't want to go through another flare up. I don't know when, if at all, it would flare up, but all bets say that, since it's hunkered down inside of there, there is a pretty good chance that it's lying in wait, waiting to mount its attack again.

I am getting ready to call the dermatologist's office. There aren't that many female derm's in Cincinnati...

I'll post back when I find out something new.

Hoosier

Old 05-22-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
    kerri0500
    Veteran
    (female)

kerri0500 HB User

i would guess the best,least painful thing is to get it to drain on its own. use hot compresses (not too hot!) for a few days, see if you can get it to come to a head. Dont give up on doing that though. I think most people stop doing it too soon and that is why a head never forms. i think it is best to have it "pop" on its own but i am not a doc...good luck to you and let us know what happens!

Old 05-22-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User

I'm back with a small update.

I had to cancel the appt. with the dermatologist in Cinti because he's not contracted (sorry if this is a repeat).

Meanwhile, I got a hold of the nurse who is at a totally different office (diff. city), and, after I gave her my bio, she said that it sounds like an OB's territory rather than a dermatologist.

The city derm's office said that they handle cysts in this location, though.

Interesting when you speak to more than one person; you'll get more than one answer.

I'm still keeping my appt. with the ob/gyn in the city that's in June. If he decided to help me out, I don't know how I'm going to go about telling the present guy that I went 'behind is back' and got something done. Maybe I'll write him a short note after the fact...

I don't know if this cyst is going to come to a head, but it may.

Will write more as news becomes available.

Hoosier

Old 05-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
    lauralu2000
    (female)

lauralu2000 HB User

Did it flare up due to the cream med you were useing on it? Was it more of a skin irritation on the site of the cysts that made it seem as if the cysts was flaring up? Just throwing that out there...

I have one as well. About the size of a dime. It is in the area between my vagina and my anus. I don't like it.....it never bothers me..but I do not like the idea that it is there. I was very imbarrassed when I met my current husband because I was afraid he would think I had some sort of STD. However he never came acrossed it no matter what we were doing. Not even oral. I pointed it out to him one day after we had been together for awhile....because I was afraid what he would think if he ever found it first. He just said. .....wow I never knew that was there. I told him to tell me if he ever felt it. He never has..

I make the drs check it everytime I have my annual exam just to make certain it has not changed. It is difficult for the dr. to find and Yes... I too have to point to it and sometimes find it first for the dr. because she cannot. However once found. it is deffinately unmistakable. I think mine came when I was healing from an epesiotmy (sp) when I had my first child. As about 5 months after she was born I noticed I had it.

Dr. also said they would not do anything about it unless it was very bothersome. Nothing to worry about ect ect...

Good Luck and I hope you get resolution soon and feel better.

Last edited by lauralu2000; 05-22-2006 at 04:42 PM.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:45 AM   #8
    NancyTwoShoes
    (female)

NancyTwoShoes HB User

Hi there,

I would recommend trying the hot baths and warm compresses to try to bring the cyst to a head and allowing it to burst on its own.

I have had the same problem and managed to get rid of a fairly large cyst/boil on the inside of my labia in this way. It was very painful and I was thankful to have it gone.

If you do apply any pressure to the area, be sure that it is very gentle and that it is in a manner to encourage the pus to come out and not have the cyst burst and leak interiorly.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #9
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

I was having these on and off until my hysterectomy in January. It seemed to me that hormonal surges caused them or made them worse. They always resolved eventually...coming to a head and draining after long periods of pain and itching. Hot baths help soften the skin and bring blood flow to the area to hasten healing. I admit to softly squeezing when I could see the pus coming to a head, although I don't recommend squeezing as you can drive the infection deeper into your skin.

Sebaceous cysts are very troubling. My son gets them on his face and his doctor refused to lance them, opting for weeks of antibiotics (to no avail) and eventually referring him to a dermatologist, who got out the lancing instrument and drained it right away. Poor kid...finally someone not afraid to use a knife. In our experience, the dermatologist is more confident about lancing, whereas the other doctors prefer more conservative approaches. If I were you, and losing my insurance, I'd go to the dermatologist.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User

I don't know if this thing will ever come to a head, but I don't do the tub soaks daily.

It still bothers me, but at least it's not throbbing or anything like that. These dermatologists in Cincinnati are really difficult to get in to see due their overpopularity, lots of patients, and [overbooking].

I'd get in to see that female one, but my husband's job will be ended by that time, so that won't work. There aren't too many female derm's in Cinti, either, and I'd probably feel more comfortable trying another one.

If it only gets lanced, though, that won't remove the sac/cavity that it's in, and I might have a Word catheter in there to help with drainage (this theory may only hold true for Bartholin's gland cysts; I don't know).

The OB tried to call the steroid cream an antifungal cream. LOL Maybe he wasn't thinking clearly when he said that...

I think the Temovate aggravated the cyst; the area stayed moist with the cream on it all morning, and that's the only think that I can think that could've caused it; other than that theory, the cyst decided to flare up.

I feel confident that I'm going to find a doctor who will work with me on this, but I'd sure like to get it taken care of soon so that I can get on with life! LOL

I had a colonoscopy performed earlier this morning; thankfully, no polyps or anything serious was found, and I don't 'need' to have another one performed for "7 years." The c/r surgeon seems willing to help me take care of an "anal skin tag" that's right on top of the perineum; no other doctor consulted thus far (while I'm being examined for something else) is willing to touch it with a ten foot pole. Again, the conservative camp. heh heh

I'm to call this guy's office tomorrow (the guy who performed my colonoscopy) to discuss the skin tag removal. I think he'll remove it. If so, I'm going to get in there as soon as I can. I think it's due to anal fissures. I get them a lot, but by the time I can get in to see the c/r doc, they're gone, and it's very frustrating. I also have rectal muscle spasms, which are either from proctalgia fugax or levitor ani syndrome, but, again, there are no real "cures" for this. I have Calmol 4 hemorrhoidal suppositories, which are helpful.

The c/r surgeon didn't say anything about my internal hemorrhoid after today's procedure (unless he DID, and I was still dopey and don't remember the conversation )

If this other ob/gyn concedes and does something surgically, do you think it would be a good idea to drop a note in the mail to my present ob to inform him rather than get tongue-tied in January and mention it then?

TIA,

Hoosier

Old 05-24-2006, 12:27 PM   #11
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

Concedes and takes care of the cyst? I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you get everything taken care of to your satisfaction, I don't think you need to inform other docs unless it is to cancel appointments. You can just mention procedures you've had at your next visit if it is pertinent.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #12
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SRMom
    Concedes and takes care of the cyst? I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you get everything taken care of to your satisfaction, I don't think you need to inform other docs unless it is to cancel appointments. You can just mention procedures you've had at your next visit if it is pertinent.
    At my next yearly exam, which will occur in January, if I don't say anything about my cyst (if it gets excised by this next guy that I'm going to consult with on June 14), will the OB that I'm currently under the care of be able to tell that something surgically was done and comment on it? I don't want to get all tongue-tied on the examining table!

This crazy cyst is really bothering me today. It is not super inflamed (large) like it was a couple of weeks ago, but the soreness, occasional itching, and intermittent jabs of pain are irritating me. I don't know whether or not to try to make a hot compress out of something and see what that does. What is bad about this is that it's very deep and kind of hard to get to....

Thanks for your reply.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

I doubt your doctor will bring up the cyst at your yearly exam, especially if it is gone and you haven't brought it up in several months. January is a long way away. Remember, the doctors work for you...you don't work for them. If you get better service from another doctor, more power to you. You take your car to the mechanic who can fix it, right? Do you know what I mean?

Sorry you are uncomfortable...try the warm bath and some type of pain reliever.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:51 AM   #14
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SRMom
    If you get better service from another doctor, more power to you. You take your car to the mechanic who can fix it, right?

Yes, that does make sense. Last night when I was chatting w/my aunt over the phone, she and I came to the conclusion that my present OB might not have much experience w/these things and just didn't know how to admit it (it's a theory, anyway! ) Because he's conservative, I kind of wonder if any of his other patients is experiencing (or HAs experienced) the same thing, only to get it shoved under the carpet, therefore not getting anything done about it. She also thought that maybe he's afraid that "if he does it wrong, etc." that he may fear me getting angry, yadda yadda.

I will only be able to take Tylenol prior to any surgical procedures, even small cuttings, but I might try that in a little while.

Thanks for your support!

Old 06-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #15
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User

I don't know what the deal is, but now I'm experiencing almost constant 'pain' (aka thumping/throbbing, not severe, though, just really bothersome) in the area where this "supposed" cyst is.

I am tempted to get in to see one of the other doctors in the group this week, even though I'm not scheduled to see the 'new, different ob' until the 14th, and I don't know if I can stand waiting until the 14th.

I now think that this 'pressure' that I'm feeling could be pent-up fluid building up within the cyst, as it has not let loose in any way that I can see...

I'll be really ticked off if he says I DON'T have a cyst but something more.

I don't know whether it's a futile idea to try to blast the area with hot compresses or not since it hasn't budged for this long. LOL

Closed Thread