It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• End of cycle "shedding"/discharge

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User
    End of cycle "shedding"/discharge

I'm back, and with another question. Am hoping someone else out there (until I get another call made to the doc's office Monday morning can be correctly deciphered (LOL) has experienced the same thing and might be able to shed some light.

For the past 2 cycles, at least, I've noticed a brown discharge at the end (my cycle lasts for around 7 days), which I read online is probably due to the uterus cleaning out itself, etc.

However, twice today (mainly earlier in the day), I noticed what appeared to be what would be the equivalent of a blood clot, which I don't usually get, that was on a pantyliner. There was substance to it. I scraped it off with a tissue to get a better look. It is over an inch in length but very slim. It kind of resembles a little piece of leather. It might've had a hair trapped in it. It obviously came out of the vagina/uterus. I think there is a little bit of mucous to this, as well. It's dark brown in color.

I called the doctor's office to simply ask if this was a normal 'shedding' or whatever, but whomever wrote down the note didn't write it correctly, it was not legible, or something, and all were confused on the OB front, including Doc himself! How embarrasssing!!

Well, he attempted calling my house from his car (cell phone) on the way home from the office, but I wasn't here at that time, and he said they "couldn't get what I was trying to ask." Go figure.

He said "call back Monday, as I'll be in from 9 to 4, and we can talk." I don't know if that means that I should leave another msg with the nurse's station or what, but it's not an emergency. I just had a simple question.

Prior to this brown discharge over the past few cycles, I had not been experiencing the brown discharge in general on day 8 or 9, etc. I had a tubal ligation done in July of 2003. I am not pregnant, either (100% sure).

Thanks for any insight that anyone can provide.

Hoosier

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User
    Can't make contact very well w/doc!

Can't make contact with the mothership! LOL

I called last Friday and left a msg with the nurse's station. Whomever got the message made a feeble attempt to write it down, but the masses, including the doc himself, couldn't decipher it, so he called me on my home phone on his way home from the office, but I wasn't home (go figure ).

He said to call back today, as he'd be in the main office, but I went ahead and faxed my question to him, but (again,this is crazy), he didn't receive the fax! I put down his name, too (to his attention, that is). Having heard zilch from him or his office all day, I called and left another msg with the nurse's station after 4 p.m., at which time one of his staff called not long after I left the message to tell me (and I did receive the call from her) that they did NOT receive the fax and can I resend it?

Sure, why not?! Duh!

Well, I asked her if she'd be around for another 10 min. or so to give me a chance to send it again, I quickly handwrote it since I misplaced the original one ( ), and when I called back, their answering service was already in full swing, but I found out that they did, indeed, receive it. I found out a little while later that his nurse had left a message on my voice mail confirming the receipt of it and that she'd put it on his desk for his review. Said he'd be in the office tomorrow from 12-8 p.m. I'll be gone from 9-12, most likely.

I don't want to discuss a sensitive issue with the doctor w/my spouse around. I haven't seen any more pieces of tissue since Friday. All I was wondering is if this is uterine tissue "shedding itself," that's all! Now it's turning out to be a real circus at the doctor's office!

Old 06-12-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: End of cycle "shedding"/discharge

It all sounds very normal to me (what's going on with your period - not the doctor!)

Old 06-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou
    It all sounds very normal to me (what's going on with your period - not the doctor!)
    LOL

This thing really is getting old with the doctor's office.

I have not heard anything all day. If I were stuck in an emergency situation, I would have been done for by now...

I called earlier and talked to the girl who handles the medical records. I was going to swing by the main office tomorrow while I'm in the city, but she said that she mailed them yesterday. However, they weren't in today's mail. It only takes one day for mail coming an hour away (my postal carrier said that the office is probably fibbing...)

They should definitely be here tomorrow.

Would all of this sound like some sort of runaround to you? I'm about ready to mail a letter to the doctor himself or leave a message on the office administrator's voice mail. I think it's ridiculous. I don't know if this is a simple case of incompetence involved, but, again, if I was in a real pickle, I would have either had to go elsewhere for care or do something!

Thanks for the reply!

What's kind of 'embarrassing' now is that my cycle is over, so it's not doing anything, but it probably will do the same thing next month. Good thing I'm not an OB patient!

If the guy himself wants to make contact w/his patients, then what is he waiting for? I inquired about call forwarding to my phone company earlier. This will come in handy when I'm out and about and am expecting a call from anyone, not just a doctor's office. Voice mail is fine, but there are times when one really would like to talk to the person on the spot. Sheesh!

Old 06-13-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User
    Finally made contact...

The doc just called after 9 p.m. a while ago on my cell phone. He said that he was impressed with the fact on how I described my 'question/situation' to him. I basically told him that nobody is going to understand it (esp. his staff) unless it is detailed. LOL

He said that it sounds like the endometrium lining coming out, which is normal, but he wants me to keep an eye on it and keep watch for any possible breakthrough bleeding, which I do not experience (if I did, I would report it to someone).

He mentioned that this could also have something to due with me being under stress (having underwent 2 surgeries close together). Go figure...

This brown discharge just started recently, so there may be something "up," but if I see anything really suspicious, then I'll be contacting his office. I told him that I didn't know if any of this has any correlation to my tubal ligation, which was performed in 2003.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User

Well, it's back! Was there any doubt?! LOL

Two nights ago, I passed another piece of tissue. This time, I will call it a small 'blob"/"glob" that was brown in color and had a gelatin-like consistency to it. I saved it on a piece of tissue, put it in a ziploc bag, and then put this in a small plastic container for my OB's comments. LOL

My spouse had to go to the nearby city (where my doc is at); I was on a mission. Once I dropped him off, I went to the hospital where the doctor's office is at (main one) and called his office from a payphone to confirm which location I could find him at yesterday. The girl said he was on call and that he'd be in and out; at that time that I called, he was there.

I went to the medical office building, but when I got off of the elevator, I had a moment of "stage fright." I felt kind of foolish about taking this "sample" to him, but I pushed aside my 'fears' or whatever you want to call it (trepidation, blah blah) and went into the office and briefly asked the girl to see that he got the envelope.

Before I got out the door (I wanted to get in and out as quickly as possible. LOL), one of the girls said my name. I thought for a moment that she was going to make me come clean about what was in the envelope! LOL

Thankfully, that wasn't it. She said, "Here are your medical records." I told her that the girl who is in charge of medical records was supposed to mail them three weeks ago but that they had never arrived in the mail but that I had actually picked them up. I looked at the papers that she had, saw that they were duplicates, and gave her the go-ahead to shred them.

After 2 in the afternoon, the doc (as expected) called me on my cell phone. Asked how I was, then said, "Thanks for the present!!" LOL I don't know what else one could call something like that...

Anyway, he seemed to be tickled (I don't know about that adjective here!!) that I took the liberty of saving something like that, bagged it up, and had the audacity to hand deliver it to him!

I said, "I'm the scientist; you're the doctor!" ha ha

Well, the moral of the story is this: He still seems to think that this is part of the endometrium shedding during the end of the cycle, although he still cannot explain why I've only just started experiencing it. He said that we can investigate it [with a D&C, but he did not use that term) and "pull something down". I don't know if what he's getting at is to just explore it and see why it's happening, or there is a more final outcome for an outpatient procedure.

I reminded him that we won't have insurance coverage in a couple of weeks, but he didn't seem to think it was necessary to perform this procedure at this moment in time. Said to watch out for things like unpleasant odor and the like. I've not had this nor any pain associated with it, but he DID advise me during our previous phone conversation "to keep an eye on it." That's precisely what I'm doing.

Now, later today I experienced some clear discharge that seemed opaque in color, and I don't know if this is all related, but I'm making an educated guess that it's related to my end-of-cycle discharge problem. If it persists over the weekend, I may have to be a pest (oh no!) and put in a call to his office to see if he wants to take a culture to see if we're dealing with some sort of infection. The main point in all of this translates into THIS IS OUT OF THE ORDINARY FOR ME. It's not the usual.

Does this clear, opaque, "thick" discharge sound like it could be some sort of infection?

I've beenr reading several posts from others regarding yeast infections, etc., but since I've been experiencing this 'glob' mucous coming out of there and the other piece last month, I am confused as to what's going on.

What also concerns me is: If I really have a problem that will eventually require some sort of action, would it be in my best interests to undergo an outpatient procedure right now before our insurance coverage ends? I've already been run through the mill with these surgeries and my latest procedure involving removal of a piece of hernia mesh stitch last Thursday at my general surgeon's office. That, btw, was a surreal experience. I tolerated it well, but not everyone could put up with undergoing that just in a regular office setting with a local anesthetic. I don't know if he used Lidocaine or something else.

Thoughts and comments welcome!

H

Old 07-08-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User
    I'm trying to get something done with it

After discussing my situation with a close friend earlier, I feel inclined to contact the doctor once again to see if he'd go ahead and perform the D&C (I am sure that this is what he was referring to over the phone yesterday) now instead of waiting until our insurance coverage ends. Since I obviously have a steady history of problems requiring some sort of surgical intervention and the like, there is always a good chance that this latest scenario will require something of that nature. I don't feel satisfied at this point in time. It would seem like I'm trying to be demanding, but what if there IS something amiss, it continues for a while, and THEN I find out the hard way that I should've tried taking care of it sooner??

After all, I AM 100% covered right now, but I really don't have much time on my side: 10 days isn't much...

I know that my doctor only performs surgeries on Wednesdays, but perhaps another colleague of his could step up to the plate and help me out.

It's worth a shot.

I've been experiencing some sort of unexplainable pressure on the right side of my lower abdomen, where my ovary would be located, and an occasional pain in the lower part of my back; again, I don't know if this is related to the discharge.

I'll post back if/when I find something out. I haven't even told my spouse about the prospect of me being an outpatient in the near future. He'll flip out...

P.S. The doc mentioned meds and as far as conservative/alternative "trials" regarding this, but I think it would make more sense to just go ahead and look in there because I don't have time for a "trial" or "watch and wait."

Hoosier

Old 07-09-2006, 07:34 AM   #8
    nameisabby30
    (female)

nameisabby30 HB User

HH3....

How long did this happen again before or after your period?days?

I have had a brown discharge in the middle of my cycle sometimes a big clot that was stringy and it was called "mittelschmirtz".But then again you could have been ovulating? And I'm surprised he hasn't done a pap smear?

Old 07-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #9
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nameisabby30
    HH3....

How long did this happen again before or after your period?days?

I have had a brown discharge in the middle of my cycle sometimes a big clot that was stringy and it was called "mittelschmirtz".But then again you could have been ovulating? And I'm surprised he hasn't done a pap smear?
    Abby:

Thx for replying. The first incident occurred last month before June 12. June 13 is when I actually made contact w/him over the phone.

The next occurrence happened last Wednesday evening after 8 p.m. My pap was done on Jan. 30, the day I first consulted w/him re: my L ovarian dermoid cyst. I have edited my fax numerous times since first composing it and am sending it tomorrow morning as soon as his office opens. If he cannot perform the [d&c] this week due to scheduling conflicts, I asked in the fax if one of his colleagues could get on board.

Along with this worrisome end-of-cycle discharge, I just started noticing what I believe to be bacterial vaginosis. I took a mirror and looked inside the vagina, only to notice that it had a grayish-white discharge area in there, and it burns, itches, and is obviously red in color when I looked in there. I don't know if all of this discharge is related to one problem or is two separate issues, but I put this in the fax as well.

That doctor's never going to quit seeing my face, is he? LOL

I wondered about ovulation, too, but I don't recall having the clear discharge issue immediately following my period. Life is just TOO confusing right now, I"ll say that much!

I'll post back on what happens after I hear from him. I'm confident that he'll contact me to let me know what's going to happen next.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User
    Update: July 10, 2006

Well, here's the skinny:

The doctor received my fax today but didn't have his nurse contact me until the end of the day because he couldn't return the call due to attending a meeting at the end of the day.

I couldn't take the message live because my phone's signal might not have been full, and then the call went to my cell phone's voice mail.

The nurse said that the doc is totally booked this week but could get me in next Wed. afternoon in the OR, but the nurse has to put in a request for that date and time. On a sour note, we won't be insured unless I can work with COBRA to keep me on there a little while longer. My spouse has to go to the city tomorrow for something, and I'm going to take that opportunity to look up the nurse, although I won't know until they open which office she'll be at. I want to talk to her about my situation. Otherwise, I'd have to leave a msg at the nurse's station right at 9 a.m.

I called their office today and left 2 message w/the nurse's station, and nobody called me back until his nurse did. I tried connecting w/someone around 4:30, but their watchdog committee skillfully kept me at bay. Go figure. At least they're trained to screen calls to the max, that's for sure.

I feel better that my call was returned, but I'm annoyed that it took so long because, had I known this, I could've called COBRA earlier, etc. Oh, well. It's either going to take place or it isn't. I'm trying to get financial help from my family, but if the cost of COBRA is too much (even for an individual), then this procedure will have to be canceled and possibly resumed at a later date, when my spouse gets another job/insurance.

I'll write back tomorrow, but I won't be on here until I get back from the city.

I've been put thru the ringer before, but this really takes the cake! I'm going to give it an honest fight, but I don't know what the outcome will be.

Hoosier

Old 07-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #11
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Update: July 10, 2006

Keep in mind that if oyu don't take the COBRA, you may have to endure a waiting period for this once you do get insurance. The only way to be sure you have coverage is to continue it until the new coverage kicks in.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User
    D&C Scheduled for next Monday!

Wanted to write to let you know that I succeeded in sneaking in at the final hour, before our insurance coverage ends.

I took the bull by the horns today to try to get this accomplished. I left for Cincy a little after 7 a.m. with the intent of talking face to face with the doc's nurse. She's actually a medical assistant, but he refers to her as his nurse.

Well, I called from a payphone to inquire which office that I could find her at. The main 'watchdog acted like she couldn't understand me over the phone. I think she just has a 'watchdog' personality. She's very territorial.

Anyway, I lucked out because his medical nurse was at the main office, and that was where I was at. I went in there and told one of the girls behind the desk that I needed to speak to his nurse about something important.

I was told to be seated. I didn't have to wait too long. Dr. was on call and wasn't in the office at that time.

Well, she took me into one of the examining rooms for a private chat, and I simply told her about my situation/dilemma and that I really didn't want to have to deal with COBRA because I didn't think I could receive enough personal financial backing to keep me covered for a little while longer.

She said that she had planned to page the doctor around noon and that she'd relate what I had told her. I told her to contact me on my cell phone. Well, it was almost 2 or after 2 when she finally called, and I was on a hilly street, headed back towards the hospital area because I was trying to kill some time.

Unfortunately, the rain, the hilly area, and just the PLAIN CELL PHONE all tried to work against me because the connection was very poor, and neither one of us could make any sense of what the other one was trying to communicate. Can you believe it?

Well, I just told her that I would go back and see her at the office; that it was no problem, but she may have figured this out for herself when I didn't immediately call her back. Thankfully, I was only around 15 minutes away from the office.

I asked to speak to her again and told them that our connection was poor. As soon as she came out into the lobby area, she said that the surgery time was set for Monday at 2 p.m. and that she was getting ready to fax the necessary info. to the surgery department and that she planned to call Cigna tomorrow and get any necessary pre-certification done. However, she said that the phone call to Cigna only was for the pre-cert and wasn't actually a 'yes or no' answer as to whether or not they covered that particular procedure. What?!

Well, bottom line is that Cigna, once I called them, said to not worry about it because if, for some reason, doctor's offices don't call them to get this done, the doctor's office cannot put the financial responsibility on the patient.

Unfortunately, Surgicare couldn't perform my blood work this afternoon; they were booked up. They did, however, tell me that this can be done on the day of the procedure when I get there. The woman in Surgicare told me that it's not my responsibility to ask the insurance company if a procedure is covered; it's up to the doctor's office. I am going to wing it and proceed with my plans.

I have to be over there at noon. I will probably be really starving all day since that's the latest time that I've had any of my surgeries.

His nurse said that the procedure is, in fact, a D&C and that it takes 20-30 minutes. I hope that I don't reel from the general anesthesia for hours on end. Oh, well, at least I'll be prepared--on the way home. I'm taking Sprite or something similar with me on the ride home.

I'll write back once I'm able to after the procedure. From reading online, the doctor may have me schedule a follow up with him and also will go over the pathology report.

On a related note, this stupid "sebaceous" cyst in that area is really bugging me. It feels like dull ache and throbs on occasion. It also itches. I feel that it's coming from that "bump" right there that I thought could've been an ingrown hair. Any thoughts on what I can do, besides hot soaks, for some relief? I only have Vagisil on hand. No more Temovate! Well, I think I threw that stuff away. LOL I think that I may have vulvodynia and that there may be some sort of [unknown] nerve damage associated with this. I'm really close to doing damage control on the area...

It's downright annoying! (screams)

Old 07-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #13
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User
    Update to D&C Procedure

I underwent my D&C yesterday. All went well, but I had an issue with the "happy juice" that I thought was Versed. The nurse shot some into my IV before I even got to the OR. I felt pretty good when I first realized that it was starting to take effect, but then I started to experience the problems associated with anxiety and panic. I was really in a panic state, and I didn't think that I could undergo the procedure!

However, I was unable to communicate my feelings to the nurse, I was alert when I was wheeled into the OR, the doc said something, I responded, was instructed to scoot onto the operating table, and the woman who had given me the happy juice placed the gas mask over my face. It didn't smell too great, either, but it wasn't the worst smell...

Fast forward: My mother-in-law told me later while I was resting in Surgicare that the doctor told her he whispered something in my ear but that I didn't respond. I said, "Do you think he was trying to tell me that I'm his favorite patient?!" Yeah, dream on! LOL

Well, I never saw him with my eyes after the procedure because he saw that I couldn't communicate and gave up. He told my MIL that he didn't see any problems while he was working on me and doubts that there will be anything 'bad' to report when the pathology report comes in, which is supposed to take place at the end of this week or the beginning of next week.

I have a follow up on August 7. I will write back when I see him then for sure.

I did have nausea problems on the way home but, thankfully, was well prepared. Had to get it out of my system...

Meanwhile, I had the ultrasound today to check on my kidney cyst, but I won't know anything for a few days.

I'm in the process of lining up colleges/universities to check into regarding furthering my education because I have a keen interest in working in the healthcare industry. No small wonder there. LOL

Take care,

Hoosier

Old 07-18-2006, 08:35 PM   #14
    willo1980
    Veteran
    (female)

willo1980 HB User

Glad your D&C went well. Hope everything comes back fine on your pathology report. You sign - Hoosier. Do you live in Indiana?

Old 07-20-2006, 07:56 AM   #15
    HH3
    (female)

HH3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willo1980
    Glad your D&C went well. Hope everything comes back fine on your pathology report. You sign - Hoosier. Do you live in Indiana?
    Yes, I live in SE Indiana, near Cincinnati. That's where my 'good' doctors are. LOL

The u/s results came back. The cyst hasn't grown in size. I don't have to be constantly monitored, thank goodness. If I should start having pain around there, then there would be cause for concern...

I have bleeding from the D&C, but it's nothing major. It picked up momentum on Day 2 after the procedure. If I still have this going on, or my cycle starts during the time of the post op visit, it won't make any difference. I don't know if the doc will look inside at the cervix or what. Does anyone know about this?

I haven't used my pain meds. He prescribed Rx Motrin 800 mg.

Maybe this procedure will help with that end-of-cycle discharge. If so, great; if not, I guess it's normal? It's fun getting older, isn't it? LOL

Hoosier

Closed Thread