It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Facial Hair Problem at 23 yrs old

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-19-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
    Catherine83
    (female)

Catherine83 HB User
    Facial Hair Problem at 23 yrs old

I need some advice. Around 16 or so some guys from my school noticed some dark peachfuzz on my upper lips. They teased me and I left school early in tears. So, from that point on I started using surgicream and removing it. It didn't come back as soft as before but it was something I could manage because I never let it come back before I removed it again. Well, I'm now 23 and it's still a very touchy subject and I'm insecure about it. I have very dark hair and fair skin which doesn't help. Yesterday my boyfriend was laying beside me on the couch and goes "You need to shave" and he was kidding but I wanted to cry... he was making fun of the peachfuzz that I have on my chin area. It is not dark at all..in fact it is blonde and you can't see it unless you are up close to me and from the side only. It is also very short. None the less, it has to go now!!!! I could cry just typing this. I'm scared to use the surgicream because of how it came back thicker when I used it on upper lip. What can I use so it will come back soft and still be blonde when it does start coming back????? I was thinking wax but I dont know. With wax I would have to wait for it to grow back enough that I could wax it again. I would have laser done but I cannot afford that. Please help...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
    fallen_angel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fallen_angel HB User
    Re: Facial Hair Problem at 23 yrs old

hi catherine,
    i have the same prob as you. im very dark (my hair is nearly black) so my facial and body hair are noticeable. ive had noticeable dark hair on my upper lip from the age of about 11. im now 24 and recently ive also been getting the odd dark hair on my neck area, and have the same light blonde hair on my chin that you mentioned.
    as far as hair removal goes, i would avoid hair removing creams like the one you mentioned, as they only take the hair off at the skin surface (the same as shaving) so the hair growth will return thicker, darker and coarser, as you've already noticed,which is the last thing you want to be happening to facial hair. waxing is definitely the best option as it removes the hair from the root so the area is left completely smooth. the results last for 4-6 weeks and the hair will also become finer and sparser over time. threading is another good method for removing facial hair, its asian in origin and works by running cotton over the area which twists the hair and pulls it out. it removes hair from the root so the results are the same as with waxing, but it is able to remove shorter hairs than waxing can so the results can actually be better. this is probably the best method for removing the light hairs you mentioned on your chin. i know you mentioned not being able to afford laser, but if you can manage to save up it is well worth doing, ive had several areas done and the results have been amazing. my upper lip only cost 35 a session as its a small area. you need about 6 sessions on the upper lip, ive now had 6 done and ive hardly got any hairs there atall. and best of all its permanent. so it might be expensive but its worth every penny. however it only works effectively on dark hairs so would not be suitable for removing light hair.
    i also got teased at school, but the important thing to remember is that kids can be very cruel and pathetic and im sure that as an adult hardly anyone notices your hair. im very conscious of mine but we are always more conscious of things on ourselves than anyone else is! im sure the light hairs on your chin dont notice atall, im always moaning about mine and no one else can see them! as for your boyfriend you said yourself that he was only joking so dont take it to heart. so please try not to let any of this upset you too much, and remember that there are loads of us girls who have facial hair that we have to remove, so its perfectly normal and you're not alone!
    take care

Last edited by fallen_angel; 06-19-2006 at 10:44 AM.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
    Catherine83
    (female)

Catherine83 HB User

Wow, I didn't realize how much the laser really was. I could afford that!! It would be worth spending the extra money on. Is it very painful? Also, does that area look red or is it sensitive after it is done? What exactly do they do step by step? Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is something that I've always thought of doing but figured it was too expensive. By the time you by products for upkeep you could very well pay for the laser sessions!! I have issues with dark body hair as well and that's what I hate about summer. Legs you can shave but that's about it.. My arm hair is dark..it isn't terribly thick but in my mind it is too much. It has gotten to where I hate wearing spaghetti strap tops and things of that sort. Honestly, I doubt anyone would even notice unless I pointed it out and went on and on about it...but I see it and hate it. I also have noticed some darker hair's on my neck area which I bleach. Unless the hair is thick, I just bleach it and don't seem to have any problems. I have bleached the sides on my face around my sideburn area for years and no one can tell. I think the worst part is that eveyone has peachfuzz type hair on their body. However, people like us have a whole new set of issues because of it.

I can honestly tell you that this has made me one of the most insecure people! Even though it seems insignificant, it is a terrible thing to have to deal with. I wish I were blonde sometime! :-) lol Thanks again for the advice!!!

Old 06-19-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
    Catherine83
    (female)

Catherine83 HB User

Also, is threading something that can be done at home or in a salon? I had never heard of this before now. It sounds very effective.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
    fallen_angel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fallen_angel HB User

hi catherine,
    you made me laugh what you said about wishing you were blonde because im constantly saying if i come back its gonna be as a blonde! LOL!
    anyhow, i really recommend the laser! how it works is they basically shave the area first and then shoot a small red light over the area, it works by searching out the dark hairs and then burning out the hair follicle so that it dies. the hairs grow and then just drop out and they never grow back again! the reason you have to have around 6 or more sessions is because the hair grows at different rates so it will only kill the follicles that are active at the time, but eventually they all get zapped. it works best on people with dark hair and fair skin because the laser finds it easier to search out the dark hairs, this is why it wont work on fair hair or on someone with very dark skin. I honestly didnt find it to be that painful, it was no more painful than waxing.i just felt a slight burning sensation as it zapped each hair but it was nothing i couldnt handle, and it was worth it to think that each time i felt it that hair would never be growing back! it does go a little red afterwards but the redness went off in less than an hour with me. ive had quite a few areas done and my bikini line was the most painful, but my upper lip wasnt too bad atall. underarms is another area where ive had great results and that didnt hurt either. generally speaking i would say laser is worth getting done on dark facial hair and anywhere where the hair is coarse, but i wouldnt bother with any other places as it does work out expensive on bigger areas. make sure you find a reputable salon too, the girl who does mine is great.
    threading can be done at home but from what ive heard is very tricky to do (they do something similar to a cats cradle with the thread) so you are best off going to a salon, most asian salons should offer it. i was really pleased with the results, its great on facial hair.
    with your arms i would get them waxed, ive been doing mine for years.being dark and having to deal with unwanted hair has just become part of every day life for me, im so used to it it doesnt even bother me now. i have about 3 friends who are the same and we're constatly waxing and lasering, you're not alone with this atall!
    please dont let it ruin things for you as it can be so easily dealt with. find a good beautician who puts you at your ease, mine is wonderful and shes used to me coming in moaning about my excess hair!!
    if you want to ask anything else feel free
    take care

Old 06-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
    Catherine83
    (female)

Catherine83 HB User

Thanks again for all of your help with this! You've gotten me inspired to call this medical spa that just opened close to my house. They specialize in stuff like botox, laser hair removal, etc. and they offer free consultation visits. This is definantly something that I'm going to do. I'm going to start out with facial area's and move from there. They have payment plans for the more expensive sessions so I can work something out. I would love to have my underarms done now that you mentioned that! I know you know just how terrible that is if you've got dark hair...its almost pointless since it looks like you haven't even shaved them!!! About the pain, I'm too the point that I don't really care how painful it is. I'm just that over it!! :-) Well, thank you SOOO much again! It's been great talking to you! I'll write back if I have any more questions, but I think you have covered everything. :-)

Closed Thread