It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Anyone who has endo or who has been on the Depot Provera shot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User
    Anyone who has endo or who has been on the Depot Provera shot

I have endometriosis, was diagnosed last November of 2005, I am 19 years old. I have been on different treatments for it, including the Ortho Evra patch, Lupron Depot, Seasonal, and just started Depot Provera. The Ortho Evra didn't help me at all with my cramping or pelvic pain. The Lupron Depot was the worst, not only did it not help my pain but it gave me horrible side effects. So then I had to get off that and on to Seasonal birth control...that helped me alot, I barely got any cramping or pelvic pain while I was on it. The only thing was I kept forgeting to take my pills and so I kept worrying if I was going to get pregnant. So now I chose to try the Depot Provera shot with my doctor reasurring me that it is completely different from Depot Lupron. Has anyone on here been on Depot Provera? Did you have any side effects? And if anyone has tried it for endometriosis, did it help with the pain? I have been pain free for awhile now with the help of taking vitamin supplements, eating healthier, and seeing my chiropractor. But now I am starting to get back the pelvic pain just today...the burning..it hurts so bad. I really hope this Depot Provera shot helps my pain, I was doing so good on the Seasonal. If anyone can relate to what I'm going through or who has experience on endo or Depot Provera please write me!

Sincerely,
    Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User
    Re: Anyone who has endo or who has been on the Depot Provera shot

I do not have endo, but I did try depo provera a few years ago. I ended up quitting after 6 months though because I was "spotting" practically the entire time I was on it. I've heard that it can completely stop your period, but for me, it was like I was having a super-light period constantly for 6 months.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
    shannonbarie
    (female)

shannonbarie HB User

I was on the Depo shot for three years back in the mid 90's. I don't have endometriosis to my knowledge. I didn't have a period at all for the entire time I was on it and it was heaven! The side effects I had were weight gain, not a lot mind you, headaches just before my next shot was due, and it raised my blood pressure. It didn't raise a whole lot but I decided to get off of it for that reason. I hope the Depo shot works for you.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

Thank you for sharing your stories with me. I know everyones experience is going to be different but I just wanted to get some ideas in to what it might be like. I hope it really does work for me...i've been on so many other things I just hope this will work so I won't have to switch again. My doctor told me that I should expect to have alot of breakthrough bleeding in the beginning like the first few months but that after awhile it should wear off and start to stop me from bleeding. She also mentioned the side effects like the weight gain but she said the weight gain usually isn't a problem if you aren't overweight to begin with which I'm not, so as long as I eat healthy and excercise regularely it should be fine. And she also mentioned that they recommend you to switch to something else after two years because it can cause bone density lose after that. I am taking vitamin supplements though with calcium in so that should help also. If anyone has had endo and wants to share their story with me I would be more than happy to hear it, this all helps me feel better knowing that other people can relate to what I'm going through. It's tough being young and having to worry about all this!

Old 08-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
    elizabeth72454
    (female)

elizabeth72454 HB User

i took the depo shot and the last depo shot i took was this past september and i have been trying ever since to get pregrant and i cant. i dont know whats wrong if anyone knows any thing please respond

Old 08-19-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

Depo did nothing but wreak havoc on my body. I enjoyed not having a period for the 2 years that I was on it, but when I got off of it to try to get pregnant........what a nightmare. To make a long story short, my period did not return. I had to begin fertility treatment (took for 4 months, then got pg)in order to conceive (which was 2 years after I stopped Depo). After 5 long years, I finally got my 1st period (with the exception of the 4 months that I was on fertility drugs). Currently, it's been 10 years since I've been off of Depo and my body is still out of whack. My periods are more regulated now than they were even a year ago. You couldn't pay me enough money to ever subject my body to that poison again. Many women have a good experience with Depo, but many do not. It's like a 50/50 chance.

You can do a search under my profile. I have made many posts regarding Depo that go into much more detail (include all of the health problems that mysteriously appeared). Good luck to all of you.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

I'm worried now about what this Depot Provera is going to do to my body. I just started it and haven't noticed anything yet but still. I had so much trouble while i was on Depot Lupron which is a shot that basically puts your body in temporary menopause. I had horrible hot flashes, severe body aches from head to toe, and extremely tired. I asked my doctor if this Provera would be anything like the Lupron and she said no,...its definitely not as strong. I don't know...I hate having to use all these potent hormonal drugs but I have to be on some type of hormonal drug for my endometriosis. Does anyone know the safest hormonal drug (bc) out there with the least amount of side effects? I've been reading about this bc called Mirena where they insert a t-shaped ring into your uterus that releases a small amount of this hormone similar to progesterone everyday. They say it has less side effects than the pills or shot because the hormone is all placed within your uterus and doesn't go through your whole body. It is 99.9% effective, the doctor inserts it one time and its good for up to 5 years. And if you decide you want to get off it and try for pregnancy you can just have it removed and your menstrual cycle will go back to normal. Has anyone used Mirena? If so how did it work for you and would you recommend it?

Old 08-19-2006, 04:31 PM   #8
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

I've never used mirena, but I've heard a lot of bad things about it on discussion boards. Have you considered using a low-dose bc pill like OTC-lo?

Old 08-19-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

What bad things have you heard about Mirena? I haven't considered taking any more birth control pills because I had trouble remembering to take them. I did like them for the fact that they didn't give me any side effects and they took away my cramping but it was just missing the pills that messed up my hormones and caused me to bleed. I also kept worrying if I was going to get pregnant with all the times I missed the pills.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #10
    tiggerbuddy
    Veteran
    (female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

you know, I honestly can't remember what I read about Mirena. I just remember seeing tons of posts from women ranting about how much they hated it. If you type in "mirena discussion" or "iud discussion" into a search engine, I bet you could find more reviews. Sorry I'm not much help!

Old 08-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #11
    JenRas05
    Veteran
    (female)

JenRas05 HB User

I'm going to talk with my gynocologist this Friday about how my endometriosis symptoms have been going and how I am treating them. Maybe she'll have some suggestions on other types of birth control I could try. I don't think I'm going to like this shot, I've already got really bad hot flashes. I think its cause I don't have enough estrogen since its a progesterone only birth control. I want to be on a birth control that has estrogen like the Seasonal pills I was on before had estrogen and they didn't cause me hot flashes.

P.S. If you see this post senior mom can you reply please, haven't talked to you in awhile. I really just want someone to talk to about all this. Its tough switching to different birth controls all the time.

Closed Thread