It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• enlarged uters

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
    ppenwell
    (female)

ppenwell HB User
    enlarged uters

I am new at posting,so if I stumble around a little please excuse me!!

Three days ago I was told by my OB that I have an enlarged uterus.She said that it went almost completely up to my belly button. I go for an ultra sound in 10 days and to me that is not soon enough...I am paranoid!!! I have had many abnormal paps, and have had my cervix frozen. My periods over the last two years have not been normal,they are very heavy and clotty and keep getting worse. My cramps have gotten almost unbearable at times and this last cycle I could not even lay on my stomach in bed without feeling like someone was stabbing me across my lower abdomen. Not to mention I look like I am 5 or 6 months pregnant. I thought I was just gaining weight but I guess that is not the case now. My doctor told me it could be one of three things,fibroids,polyps or uterine cancer. I am adopted do I have no idea of my medical history which just adds to my worries!!! How much should I worry and how likely could it be that I have to have a hysterectomy with it being so large?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
    sunnydaze1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
    Re: enlarged uters

Having an enlarged uterus is very common. I have a 3-4 month pregnancy size one myself.

I've had many ultrasounds and a couple D&C's to remove polyps. I've been told I have fibroids within the uterine wall and that is why it's enlarged. No cancer, though, so don't automatically assume that is what is wrong.

Chances are you just have fibroids which are harmless, but can grow big enough to cause pain; and the heavy bleeding is often associated with it also.

Have your ultrasound and go from there, but try not to worry..I know, it's difficult, but chances are it's just due to fibroids.

You don't say how old you are, but I've considered hysterectomy and am opting to wait until menopause as I'm just on the doorstep...I think.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
    ppenwell
    (female)

ppenwell HB User

Sorry I didn't reveal my age. I am 36 years old, have three children and have had my tubes tied. I thought that the heavy periods were from having that done,but I guess not. Also I forgot to put this in my first post. But, when my doctor was examining my stomach she really mashed around on it to the point where I almost came off the table. But since then I have noticed a lot more pain in my sides and in the ovary area. Could she have caused that from the mashing or do you think it's just in my mind now that i know i have something going on in there??

Last edited by ppenwell; 08-20-2006 at 11:32 AM.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
    canadianmom
    (female)

canadianmom HB User

another enlarged uterus from fibroids here Try not to worry! My uterus is enlarged to a 13 week preg size and it tilted at a 45 degree angle. I have all the same symptoms as you do. With the enlarged uterus you could also develope bladder/bowel issues. I would think that a hysterectomy will be offered to you no matter what is seen on the ultrasound. I have been trying to avoid that and hopeing to reach menopause myself (i'm 46) Fibroids shrink after meno. Not sure if I can handle the pain that long...it could be a few more years. I think now that you know something is wrong there you are noticing the pain but i'm sure it didn't help with the Dr mashing around! Try to relax and not think the worse!

Closed Thread