It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Tubal Ligation Experiences

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
    divanicki75
    (female)

divanicki75 HB User
    Question Tubal Ligation Experiences

Hi all,

I'm new here, these boards are great! I'm fairly certain this is the best place to post this, since even though a Tubal Ligation is a form of PERMANENT Birth Control, it's also a Women's Health issue...

I will be 31 when I have my second child in December and I do not want to be pregnant again. DH is not open to a vasectomy, therefor, I feel my only option for permanent birth control is a TL. My OB/GYN is giving me very limited information, but when I specifically asked about the side effects of the proceedure, I was told that these side effects happen to MOST women... (specifically, I asked "what are we talking about here, 4% of women are effected, 40% or what?" her response sternly "NO. MOST Women") I am concerned about the side effects and also about Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome, which I've read not all Drs believe actually exist. I am looking for information/experiences of women who have had a TL within the last few years and can share some insight with me.

THANK YOU!!!
    Nicki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
    luvthemountains

luvthemountains HB User
    Re: Tubal Ligation Experiences

I have had one and I wouldn't recommend it personally, but everyone is different. I had problems with it and things and things just didn't feel right. My doctor shrugged it off as no big deal so I dealt with it. But, it was so long ago, maybe the procedure has improved! Good Luck!

Old 10-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User

Do Not Do It. I Had One In Feb 2006 And Regret It Very Very Much. It Is Nice Not Having To Worry About Getting Pregnant, But Not Worth It. The Ptls Is Very Real. I Have Not Been The Same Person Since I Had Surgery. My Husband Even Regrets It. I Have Been To 3 Doctors About The Pain I Experience. Lots Of Cramping And Shocklike Pain And Depression Because Of It. I Have Been To Doctors To Talk About Getting It Reversed Which Will Cost 11,000 Dollars. It Is A Very Expensive Mistake. Go Under Google And Type In Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome And Read All The Testomonials From Women That Have Had Tl And You Will See What I Mean. I Am Not Trying To Tell U What To Do But Just Read About It Under Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome The Drs Won't Tell U About All Of This. Sorry This Is Long. Good Luck.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
    luvthemountains

luvthemountains HB User

Guess thing haven't improved with it....Nah....I wouldn't do it if I were you. My periods are helllllll!!!! Didn't used to be like that either.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:16 AM   #5
    Kickle
    (female)

Kickle HB User

I totally regret it. I was 40 or 41 (almost 2 years ago) and I have had terrible side effects, painful periods, pain in my sides. Huge colts and vaginal infections. I had to go on BC to control symtoms. It's not a natural thing to do. Have you checked into that essure procedure? Good Luck.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:35 AM   #6
    LLLmom
    (female)

LLLmom HB User

I had a tubal ligation 16 years ago right after the birth of my third child. I have never had any problems with it, other than the discomfort from "gas" right after the operation. It's great not having to deal with birth control. Just make sure that you really don't want any more children before you do something considered permanent.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
    mrzshorty
    (female)

mrzshorty HB User

I am 25 yrs old with three little girls, all delivered c-section. I had it done with my last baby who was born on August 8, 2006. I feel no different, besides maybe thinking I made a mistake, just cause I love kids, but I know the reality of costs so that is why I had mine done. My doc puts clamps on the tube, I am not sure if all docs do it that way. I have not had a period yet, so I don't know the serverity of my period yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
    luvthemountains

luvthemountains HB User

I think it gets harder as you get older especially when you start to hit the pre-menepausal stage....gees!

Old 10-18-2006, 02:53 PM   #9
    29Forever
    (female)

29Forever HB User

I know a couple of people who have had them with no problems at all. I have actually been seriously considering it over the past couple of weeks. I have been on the pill for over 20 years and have been wondering if it is the cause of a lot of my problems in the past few years. After 18 years of marriage, my husband & I have never wavered on not wanting to have kids. So, why am I giving my liver more to process? I honestly didn't expect to come to this thread and see all negativty about TL's. Now I am really frustrated about what to do. You guys have given me a lot to think about.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:22 AM   #10
    m1e1b1s1
    (female)

m1e1b1s1 HB User

Guess I'm the other half.

I had a tibal ligation when I was 27, after my second child...knowing I would never have more...putting 2 through college (one into Med school in less than 3 years) is enough!! :-) I also had a terrible time delivering our son (he was sunny side up with an arm above his little head...good thing he was second or I'd only have one).....so waited 6 weeks after delivery to have the TL...all went fine!

I had NO PROBLEMS AT ALL...some cramping for a day or two....that was IT.

I have abnormal periods, but always have, so that isn't something I link to the TL.

Remember, they are not 100%....my DH will be having a vasectomy soon...it's been 7 years since I had my TL and I'm scared to death of getting pregnant...I don't want one in diapers and one in college :-) My sister in law had a TL and ended up with a tubal pregnancy too...so that can happen.

My hormones aren't messed up, I feel fine!

Closed Thread