It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• cost of gyno visits?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
    ce
    (female)

ce HB User
    cost of gyno visits?

i'm going to the gynecologist for the first time on thursday and recently found out that my insurance deductible is huge.... so i will be paying for the entire visit out of pocket. any ideas on the full cost?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
    novmom
    (female)

novmom HB User
    Re: cost of gyno visits?

I belive at my gyn's office, they are $130. But that is just the office visit. There are also lab fees, although I'm not too sure on how much those are. The way it works here, that is a seperate bill.

Still make sure that you file through insurance, because usually the amount of the visit is discounted thru your insurance and you are billed for what is left over after the discount. I hope that makes sense??

Ok...so I pulled out some of my insurance paperwork....

For the office visit, total cost was $160.00. There was a $39.00 insurance discount, with the amount to be paid of $121.00. Depending on how the insurnance would be handled this $121.00 would be what either you would pay to the docs office or what the insurance would pay to the docs office.

Then there were lab fees - the labs at my lab cost $82.80 total, insurance discount of $39.80. With the remainder of $43.00 that needed to be paid.

That's probably SUPER confusing....I explain stuff much better in person than I do in type. LOL
    3 yr old daughter

Last edited by novmom; 03-06-2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Add more....

Old 03-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
    ce
    (female)

ce HB User

thanks.
    i thought it would be cheaper than that.
    i'm still on my dad's health insurance plan... and his deductable is over 3 thousand dollars. i'm not even joking.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

There should be a copay for a doctor's visit. That should cover most of the cost.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
    novmom
    (female)

novmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ce View Post
    thanks.
    i thought it would be cheaper than that.
    i'm still on my dad's health insurance plan... and his deductable is over 3 thousand dollars. i'm not even joking.
    My DH's insurance is like that (we're seperating, so we have seperate health insurance). Its insane! If possible you may want to check over the insurance really good. A lot of the time the wellness checkups are covered at 100% and does not have to be applied to the deducitble. Worth a shot!

Another advantage to having it filed to the insurance first is that you won't have to pay it all in full at the doc visit. Just pay your copay (usually like $20/30 bucks) and then have the doc office bill you. A lot of the time they will work out payment plans with you and you can pay it that way. So that your not having to have one lump sum at one time.

Good luck!! Medical billing & insurance is a pain in the butt. I've had my fair share of really studying insurance due to my sons condition/testing that we have gone through.
    3 yr old daughter

Old 03-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
    Dakota
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota HB User

I guess it'd really depend on what all they will be doing. I'm guessing just a pap....But you never know what other tests/cultures they may want to run.

But even still costs can vary greatly based on just where you live. Seems to me my last one (prior to insurance) was around $120

Old 03-07-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
    StenoLady1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Here in FL, if I don't involve insurance at all -- just go 100 percent self-pay -- my visits cost $65, plus another 30 for the lab/pap cost.

I was able to go on DH's insurance with his last job, and the same doctor for the same visit billed the insurance company $175 for my annual.

I, too, have to bill insurance companies for my services as a court reporter, and they seem to think they're only responsible for about a third of my bill! So I do as the doctors do and inflate my bills by 300 percent so that in the end, I'm paid what I would have originally billed to a non insurance company.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
    duzford
    Inactive
    (female)

duzford HB User

I just paid $200 for annual and new patient visit but I live in Northern New Jersey and usually helath care is more expensive here, depends on where you live.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
    ce
    (female)

ce HB User

i just got back.
    $294
    yep.
    i'm definately getting my own insurance plan now.

Closed Thread