It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Bacterial Vaginosis. Please read. In dire need of help.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2007, 10:52 AM   #31
    nasty1ne
    (female)

nasty1ne HB User
    Re: Bacterial Vaginosis. Please read. In dire need of help.

Well, jupe, there wasn't a test done on my culture to find the specific strain of yeast. I wished there was one done. Anyways, I took the boric acid and there would be some discharge. I suspect from the boric suppositories. I didn't have any itching feeling. I still had the burning or discomfort in the abdominal area around my bladder. So, naturally I would go to the bathroom and urinate and I would be fine. Probably about 45 minutes to an hour, I'd feel that same pressure again and then go to the bathroom and urinate. When I was done with the boric acid, I got a culture done to see if I had the yeast. It was still there.

My next course of treatments were the gentian violet, 2 weeks of taking Diflucan and 100,000 units (cream) of Nystatin. I chose gentian violet. I was opposed to Diflucan because in the long term you can develop liver problems, but of course, they will monitor you. And with Nystatin . . . I just wanted to take a break from inserting a cream in my vagina.

Well, I'm almost done with my treatment. Tomorrow will be the last day Kaiser colors my vagina purple. I was told by the Nurse Practitioner to take a 6 week break and monitor my symptoms. She was saying that I need my body to rest, take a break from meds, and let my immune system kick-in. She was saying that I possibly could have ICS. I'm praying to God that I don't have interstitial cystitis. That would require additional treatments. So, I'll keep you ladies posted on my condition.

Other than that, I feel fine. I don't feel that pressure(burning feeling) in my bladder area. I hope this gentian violet will kill the yeast. During my 6 week break, I was encouraged to continue taking the probiotic tablets, Culturelle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #32
    DNSX3
    Veteran
    (female)

DNSX3 HB UserDNSX3 HB User

Sweetie, I really hope it works for you, Then it gives the rest of woman some glimmer of hope~!

Old 05-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #33
    ebon_aurora
    (female)

ebon_aurora HB User

So, I went to my doctor on the 18th to be checked for any infection and for the colpo. They do a wet prep, right? And my doctor says its inconclusive. Then they do the affirm which shows only bv. Well, I called the nurse for a prescription of diflucan as a preventative since I'm going to be on this Flagyl for 14 days. She calls me back with a message saying, "I don't know why you wanted the diflucan because we didn't find any yeast....oh, yes we did. We saw it on the wet prep..." So I called back all confused and I asked her about it and told her that the doc said it was inconclusive. Now she's telling me that the wet prep showed a "tiny bit of yeast" but it didn't show up on the affirm. What the HELL!? Bv that shows up on the affirm but not the wet prep? Yeast that shows up on the wet prep but not the affirm? I'm extremely upset right now. I thought I was only going to have to battle bv but it looks like I'm going to have to battle both because I was on diflucan when I was diagnosed with this "yeast." I was taking it while on the 7 day course of Flagyl as a preventative. I'd like to use a yeast cream along with the diflucan but I can't since I'm all cut up in there. :'( I'm sorry, but I'm more than a little upset right now.

Isn't it true that if it were a resistant strain of yeast it wouldn't have shown up on the wet prep at all? As I understand it, the people who read the wet preps only know how to recognize Candida Albicans. But it does make me worry that it didn't show up on a test as sensitive as the Affirm.

I just found this:
    "Wet mount results are typically negative in the presence of non-Candida VVC." I'd post the site here but, as we all know, this board won't let you.

But then I just found this:
    "False-positive results are also observed with variable frequency.44The pH of the discharge is usually not more than 5.0 with Candida albicans, but may be higher with non-albicans species such as C glabrata."

The doctor told me that my pH was high! God, I'm scared now.

Last edited by ebon_aurora; 05-22-2007 at 06:22 PM.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #34
    miria333
    (female)

miria333 HB User

Hello Ebon, sorry it took so long to answer your question, but i only checked in today. I think the different meds that were given to me caused funny reaction in me which resulted in the weird smells, and no my doctor didn't bother taking cultures, it was visual. I have trouble getting doctors to be more thorough than that! My opinion is you should take a break and focus on your eating, sleeping, and stress habits. All those meds, BELIEVE ME, will screw you up big time!! Right now i feel fine cause i just finished my period, and its always peaceful at that time. And just so everyone knows i did not have sex for 4 and 1/2 years so sex was not the problem with my yeast infection. Honestly, i just think you should take some time off and relax from the treatments. Perhaps giving your body time to ajust and come into balance again would be a good thing. I really think those meds can be bad for you cause they play around with your internal balance. What i'm trying to do now is continue to drink lots of water cause it actually helped me big time a couple of weeks ago, and lower my anxiety, because i am prone to that. I also watch my sugar intake (but within reasonable limits) Anyway i will see how that goes...I noticed the times my yi backed off were when i was in a very positive mood over a certain period of time,so i think anxiety can definitely contribute to imbalances down there.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #35
    ebon_aurora
    (female)

ebon_aurora HB User

So, Miria, you've had a culture or some kind of test to confirm that what you're dealing with is actually yeast?

Old 05-23-2007, 04:44 AM   #36
    jupe
    (female)

jupe HB User

nasty1ne I can't believe your doc didn't send out a culture to see what strain you have. That's terrible- you may have been able to beat this awhile ago- with some pretty powerful drugs- but hey at this point- if they prescribed me something that could cause death as a side effect I'd still take it! I'm so sick of this yeast BS. Oh and I just realized monday is a holiday so I guess it will be tuesday before I know my results. Ebon- listen I have read about other women who (like me)- years ago had recurring YIs (remember- 9 months- my boyfriend was giving it to me) and they used monistat or gyne-lotrimin repeatedly (as I did) and now have C. Glabrata. When I was using that junk every month- at age 20- I kept thinking - man- I'm going to become immune to it- seems I was right- (well, we're not sure yet but we'll know TUESDAY now...) anyway the thing I'm saying is be careful taking diflucan after diflucan or monistat after monistat because it seems like (and I'm no expert or DR) that is how you end up with glabrata or a resistant strain. Just from what other women are saying- it makes me think that 12 years ago- if some dr had treated my boyfriend immediately like I asked- I wouldn't be here now- because I wouldn't have endured 9 months of monistat!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:12 AM   #37
    nasty1ne
    (female)

nasty1ne HB User

I agree with you jupe. If I had known NOW all these things back then, I think I would been able to eradicate this rare YI. All these years I had been taking Micanozole (Monistat) and Diflucan- just popping them in or using them according to doctor's orders . . .then I don't think I would have developed this rare YI. When you abuse, your bug just changes and becomes resistant. And you're right . . .I should've gotten my bf at the time checked and treated so we wouldn't have bee passing it back and forth to one another. Just recently before I broke it off, I found out that he hadn't been having a thorough check with his doctor. He got checked for everything except BV and YI. UGH!!!! Well, I'm glad that relationship is over. Now I can concentrate on trying to get myself better.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:26 AM   #38
    ebon_aurora
    (female)

ebon_aurora HB User

You know, a couple of months ago I actually treated my bv with Terazol because I thought I had yeast....Literally RIGHT AFTER-the DAY after i finished the treatment-I got drunk and had sex. The next day I ended up with the worst yeast infection I've ever had. I couldn't believe it....the Terazol actually gave me a yeast infection....At this point there is no doubt in my mind that I'm probably dealing with a resistant strain now....Thanks for all of your VISUAL diagnoses, Doctor Connor! You *****************! And now this Flagyl is only going to make it worse. My mother is picking up MORE diflucan for me to take. How am I supposed to fight a yeast infection when I'm on 14 days of antibiotics anyway? Shouldn't I wait till after I'm done with the treatment? What do I do? :'( I can even feel this yeast in my crack! That's right. And its sore. I hate being a woman!

Last edited by ebon_aurora; 05-23-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #39
    DNSX3
    Veteran
    (female)

I personally would think you should wait until after the antibiotic. I feel so bad for you hun.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #40
    ebon_aurora
    (female)

ebon_aurora HB User

I already took one. I couldn't take the irritation any longer. I wanted to wait but my biopsies are starting to act up again. Its been days since my colpo and I know something is wrong. I wanted to see if the diflucan helped. And I'm sure that in trying to help myself I probably just screwed myself. :'( I have an appointment tomorrow to have a lump in my breast checked (yeah SOMETHING ELSE) and I'll have him check my biopsies as well. I'll keep everyone updated.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #41
    DNSX3
    Veteran
    (female)

I wish you the best!!!! ~Shannon

Old 05-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #42
    jupe
    (female)

jupe HB User

Ebon,
    Does the diflucan help you? If it does then you probably don't have a resistant strain-(yet!!!) but you have to tell your doc to do a culture and send it out to the lab- you too nasty1ne- My doc is not the greatest- but thank god she knew about Glabrata and Tropicalis and told ME she was sending it out to be tested. I was so afraid she was going to be another doc in denial and say "what? what resistant strain" because I swear NOBODY believes me- my family says "that's crazy- never heard of such a thing" I keep telling them- surf the web- they say "you can't believe everything on the web" they want me to get a second opinion... HELLO! my doctor is sending out a culture! She's not a quack! the only thing that scares me is she said if it is Glabrata she will prescribe me ketoconazole- which I have surfed and surfed and I can find nothing that says ketoconazole treats glabrata- everything says "Diflucan has surpassed ketoconazole" well- if diflucan doesn't work- and that is apparently better then ketocon, then what the heck???? I am going to ask her for vericonazole if it comes back glabrata. or I may resort to trying the boric acid inserts. Here is the weirdest of the weird- took diflucan (I don't know why) on monday and - I went from having no discharge to having yeast- alot of it- but (dare i say this) my symptoms have gotten no worse. the yeast has increased but the symptoms haven't- that has me stumped. nasty1ne you finished the genetian violet right? how do you feel? I swear right now - if this ever clears up I am never complaining about trivial stuff again. I used to say "oh I want a nose job" or "I hate my hair" yah- well now I have something to complain about and I don't want it!!!!!

Last edited by jupe; 05-23-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #43
    ebon_aurora
    (female)

ebon_aurora HB User

I went to see my doctor today and to my dismay he said that my cervix looked fine and that the discharge was normal?? I'm sorry, but no discharge 6 days after a colpo is normal. Plus I'm still in pain. HOWEVER...he is MUCH better than my primary doc. As I thought, because he is younger he has actually heard of the resistant strains of yeast and other bacterias that can live in the vagina. I didn't have to bring them up at all! I complained that I was having trouble with yeast too and he just started talking about them. And when I asked him if he could do a culture for any yeast or bacteria we might be missing he said that he couldn't do one due to the lack of supplies he had in his office but that he did feel that I needed one and that he would look into finding someone that could do one for me. He did have the supplies to check for group B strep so he took a culture for that. While he said some things that were inaccurate (such as my pH of 5.0 is too low and should be around 7 ) I can still say that I've found my new doc from now on. At least for a good while.

Another unfortunately, he said that if I keep having the recurring bv he wants to put me on the metrogel regimen I've heard people talk about. I think he said metrogel for 7 days instead of five, then once a week for a month, then once a month indefinitely. He says he's had good results with that but from what I've read most women don't seem to have much luck with it.

For my current yeast problem he gave me Gynazole. I'm worried about that since its the one dose type that stays in you for 7 days. What if there really is an infection in there? He says it shouldn't irritate my biopsies but I'm afraid it will.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:00 PM   #44
    jupe
    (female)

jupe HB User

Wow- well I have an update too- and this is all so strange- and Ebon, if he said you look "normal" then I'm really stumped because... I was burning pretty bad today so I called my doc to tell her diflucan wasn't working and I wanted her to call me in something for those resistant strains of yeast and..... my test results were in...all negative- not just negative for Glabrata and Tropicalis- negative for yeast period. No yeast. I said WHAT? the Doctor specifically said she saw yeast!! what the heck was she looking at? This morning- the white clumpy discharge that was on the toilet paper.... that wasn't yeast? I must say- I'm relieved and upset-. I'm glad I'm yeast negative- but then what is going on there? I think it's all the medication I have put in there and in me in the last month- I think that monistat 1 day ovule is the worst thing out there- Ebon be careful with those 1 day treatments- I think that monistat ovule is what started this all. I have no doubt in my mind that this started out as a yeast infection but I have no idea what it's become. I have tested negative for everything and I've heard that herpes mimics yeast infections (I don't know how that's possible but that's what I've heard) but I highly doubt I have herpes. I know anything's possible but I'm going to say the herpes is very unlikely. I have read about women who used the monistat ovule like I did and they are still experiencing burning months later. I'm wondering if this is your problem too ebon- if the doc says you look normal- maybe it's all the meds- the yeast creams. etc. I also swear I did not have any discharge until after I took the diflucan on monday. I can not believe I just took a diflucan for no reason. what kind of a doctor sees yeast that isn't yeast? could the labs be wrong? I am going for a 2nd opinion. unfortunately I can't be seen until 6/13. I'm going to give you all a little advice though- don't do what I did and surf the web and find all these horrible things out there and get in your head that's what you have. I had myself convinced I had glabrata to the point I was looking up the best treatment for it. I almost bought a teraconazole 1 day cream today!!!! and I don't even have yeast. it's crazy what your head can do. anyway Ebon- just be careful- I would hate for you to actually develope a resistance to the meds. Could you possible be having an allergic reaction? I'm wondering if that's my problem now. Too many meds and my vagina is like what are you doing to me? I don't know guys- I will certainly stay on and report back after my 2nd opinion. one more thing ebon- you should really get your discharge sent out to a lab for cultures. your doctor should be able to do that- send them out- if not you have to get yourself to a doc who can and will. and you can't be on any creams for at least 72 hours if you want the results to be accurate. hopefully if you decide on the gynazole it will work for you- still get the tests done.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #45
    ebon_aurora
    (female)

ebon_aurora HB User

I didn't know that the monistat-1 was stuff that stayed inside of you for 7 days. I just thought it was some ultra powerful one day treatment that was supposed to get rid of the infection. I've used the Gynazole once before and it helped alot with my symptoms but the burning didn't go away completely. It was after I used the Gynazole that I was diagnosed with the bv. Although I'm sure I've had the bv for much longer. I'm pretty sure that the yeast infection I had when I last used the Gynazole was a bv/yeast co-infection. Because I've had one yeast infection that I was aware before that last one and I only itched. This last one burned like hell! I've heard that a lot women with bv experience mainly burning when they have yeast along with it. But I sometimes think the Gynazole made my bv worse. I don't know what to do anymore. I know I can't use terazol. And the diflucan doesn't work for me. What else is left?

Last edited by ebon_aurora; 05-24-2007 at 08:36 PM.

Closed Thread