It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Have To See Surg. Monday, Please Help Re Hysterscope & Hysteroscopic Procedure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
    Have To See Surg. Monday, Please Help Re Hysterscope & Hysteroscopic Procedure

Hello. I have a 6cm uterine tumor and my surgeon orginally said he did not want to remove it because I still want children.

I have read posts from women who have said that they had a hysteroscopic without resection and that this procedure is done using a hysterscope.

PLEASE can you give me any information you can re this so I can take it to the surgeon on Monday? He never told me about this when I saw him 8 months ago.

I am constantly nauseous and have a low-grade fever and it's always like this when I have something inside me that should not be. I would like the tumor removed.

I also found out that I have an ovarian cyst (this is the 3rd one) and he removed the other 2 using laproscopy. The last time I had one, he made a remark that he would have "to cut you wide open if you get another one."

I sure hope he was kidding, but he didn't seem like he was. I don't see why he cannot perform another laproscopy on this one just like the first 2.

I am hormonal 3 weeks out of 4 with cramping, fever and nausea.

From what I read on the boards, women have tumors in the uterus removed now by hysterscope. Could I please hear from you?

I really am miserable.

Thank you so very much!

Salty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
    estria
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
    Re: Have To See Surg. Monday, Please Help Re Hysterscope & Hysteroscopic Procedure

Hello Salty,

What kind of tumour is this ? Is it a fibroid, a lyomyoma (sp?) ? Have they biopsied it to make sure it is not dangerous ? Also, what kind of ovarian cysts are you developing ? Are they simple fluid filled cysts or complex ones ? (ie. both liquid and solid). Procedures will normally depend on all of these things.

Normally "cutting you open" is not the procedure of choice so I would think that the surgeon was just kidding. As far as I know most ovarian cysts can be removed by laparoscopy. Even your ovary can be removed in this manner. As for the uterine tumour, all depends on the type and on whether or not it is dangerous. For example, fibroids can actually be removed now with a procedure that starves the blood supply to them so that they die and shrink away (a day procedure). Other types of pathology can be removed using various procedures but all depends upon the surgeon's experience so you may have to seek out other opinions.

I hope you get a resolution to your problem soon. Take care.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
    Re: Have To See Surg. Monday, Please Help Re Hysterscope & Hysteroscopic Procedure

I've had 2 hysteroscopies to remove polyps, and I'm about to have a third. For some reason, I keep getting these stupid polyps in my uterus, so I have to keep getting them removed. I'm 33 and never had kids, but I'm still trying to keep my options open, just in case.

Anyway, the procedure is really not that big of a deal. They knocked me out at the hospital, and when I woke up, I had cramps and bleeding, but it really just felt like a heavy period. I had cramps for about a day or 2, and the bleeding lasted about a week or so, but other than that... It was really no big deal. The entire aftermath feels like a heavy period, that's about it.

The hysteroscopy doesn't involve cutting you open, by the way. They go in through the vagina through the cervix into the uterus so there is no cutting involved to get in there. The only cutting that happens is when they cut off the polyp or fibroid or whatever. Usually a hysteroscopy is done in combination with a D&C to clean out the uterus if your lining is thick, also.

I still don't want to get it done again, because I hate hospitals and needles and the whole ordeal, but I'm not afraid of doing it anymore, since I've had it done twice already.

Last edited by Kszan; 01-13-2008 at 08:31 AM.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oh what would I do without the healthboards...thank you and Kszan so much for replying so quickly.

Estria, I have a benign 6 cm fibroid inside my uterus that I have had for 2 years. The surg has been watching it to see if it grows. It did originally 2 cm, but my last TV sonogram showed no growth.

The ovarian cyst is also benign (from a CA125 blood test--which I had never had before this, he just used to tell me AFTER it was removed). It is a fluid cyst just like the other 2 I have had over the past 15 years or so.

Thank you for the information about starving the blood supply. If it wasn't for people like you on the boards, I would not have known that. I want to know as much as I can when I see him tomorrow.

Thank you again,

Salty

Quote:
    Originally Posted by estria View Post
    Hello Salty,

What kind of tumour is this ? Is it a fibroid, a lyomyoma (sp?) ? Have they biopsied it to make sure it is not dangerous ? Also, what kind of ovarian cysts are you developing ? Are they simple fluid filled cysts or complex ones ? (ie. both liquid and solid). Procedures will normally depend on all of these things.

Normally "cutting you open" is not the procedure of choice so I would think that the surgeon was just kidding. As far as I know most ovarian cysts can be removed by laparoscopy. Even your ovary can be removed in this manner. As for the uterine tumour, all depends on the type and on whether or not it is dangerous. For example, fibroids can actually be removed now with a procedure that starves the blood supply to them so that they die and shrink away (a day procedure). Other types of pathology can be removed using various procedures but all depends upon the surgeon's experience so you may have to seek out other opinions.

I hope you get a resolution to your problem soon. Take care.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan, thank you for writing. I know polyps are considered different from fibroids, but I still think he can perform a hysteroscopy to get rid of it.

This is my first uterine fibroid, but like I've written I keep getting the ovarian cysts back again over the years.

I don't see why he can't perform a hysteroscopy to cut off the fibroid and then a laproscopy to get the cyst.

I D&C is fine with me if he has to do that, too. I just want relief.

Thank you for giving me your insight. I appreciate it very much.

Salty

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
    I've had 2 hysteroscopies to remove polyps, and I'm about to have a third. For some reason, I keep getting these stupid polyps in my uterus, so I have to keep getting them removed. I'm 33 and never had kids, but I'm still trying to keep my options open, just in case.

Anyway, the procedure is really not that big of a deal. They knocked me out at the hospital, and when I woke up, I had cramps and bleeding, but it really just felt like a heavy period. I had cramps for about a day or 2, and the bleeding lasted about a week or so, but other than that... It was really no big deal. The entire aftermath feels like a heavy period, that's about it.

The hysteroscopy doesn't involve cutting you open, by the way. They go in through the vagina through the cervix into the uterus so there is no cutting involved to get in there. The only cutting that happens is when they cut off the polyp or fibroid or whatever. Usually a hysteroscopy is done in combination with a D&C to clean out the uterus if your lining is thick, also.

I still don't want to get it done again, because I hate hospitals and needles and the whole ordeal, but I'm not afraid of doing it anymore, since I've had it done twice already.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
    estria
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hello Salty,

If you don't mind my asking, how big were your ovarian cysts ? The reason I ask is that I have a 7.5 cm fluid filled cyst on my left ovary which was still hanging around 8 weeks after my first ultrasound. I also had the CA-125 test, just in case and it came out at 7 which is low (thank goodness). My gyne says it is a benign serous cyst and gave me the option of either keeping an eye on it or of having it removed. I decided to opt for keeping an eye on it. For one thing I am afraid that if I have it removed, another will grow in its place and I don't want to be running in and out of the hospital for surgical procedures. For another, I have read that the fluid filled kind of cysts are very rarely dangerous (between .1 and 3 % can turn out to be malignant) and they have done studies which show that they do not turn malignant over time.

May I ask why your surgeon decided to have them removed ? Where they very large or did they cause problems ? I am certain that if you want to have another laparoscopy for this third cyst, then this is certainly the right thing to do. Hopefully these other cysts were not simply functional cysts that would have gone away on their own, right ? As you may know, we women get cysts on our ovaries every month and one of these usually breaks open to release an egg when we ovulate. The others usually regress. I assume that you had kept an eye on yours and they did not regress .. like mine.

I would appreciate hearing about your experience and good luck with the surgeon tomorrow.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

estria, I just got home a little while ago and it's a happy day! (My nephew used to say that when something good was going to happen.)

I haven't been this happy for someone to operate on me ever!

The surgeon agreed to take out the ovarian cyst. It's small--3cm., but that's always enough, no matter how small it is, to drive me absolutely crazy hormonal-wise. It throws my whole body out of whack and I know this because it's the 3rd cyst I've had.

I honestly can't remember how big the other 2 were, but I'm going to say the biggest was around 6 cm.

That's great about your CA125 test. All I know is the nurse told me mine was "normal" when I called for results weeks ago.

I am NEVER waiting again to have one removed. I have suffered for months thinking it was the uterine tumor that was causing me so many problems and I should have known all along it was the cyst...because it's always the cyst.

I have never had a uterine tumor--this is the first one. And I even had good news about that...whatever I'm doing the surgeon said has made the tumor shrink. It is now down to a little more than 1 cm.! I couldn't believe it.

And all this research I've been doing on the tumor didn't even matter because hormones aren't affected unless you have something OVARY-related. Duh, you'd think I would have known that by now!

estria, if my hormones weren't crazy, I didn't have a low-grade fever and nausea, I would have left the cyst alone. I just get totally symptomatic when there's something in/on my ovary that should not be there. It happens every time and once again, I waited and suffered because I didn't know I had it.

If I ever get one again, I will know first by my symptoms and will get a TV sonogram and abdominal sonogram.

One time, I was so sick and no cyst showed up on the tests and I told the surgeon that I needed him to operate anyway. When he did, he found that the cyst had burst and I was infected all throughout my abdomen.

I wouldn't worry about malignancy with ovarian cysts. That's always the least of my worries.

If your cyst is not bothering you, then just keep watching it. I must say the only thing that scares me is that the cyst bursts and you have infection in the body...but you would know that...you would feel awful--stomach pains, fever, etc.

I always pray that another will not appear, but it seems to every so many years. I don't want to keep going to the hospital either, but I just get insane hormonally and physically when I do have one. So to me it's worth the operation.

And he said we can do it laproscopically again and he didn't hesitate so that was good. I have no idea what he meant by the cut me wide open comment from last time, but I didn't bring it up.

I just turned 43 and I hate the word premenopausal, but getting this 3rd one may have something to do with that. Then again, I think I got my first one in my late 20's, so who knows why they keep coming back? I wish someone would tell me.

The surgeon told me after the 1st one to start taking acidolphilus and garlic, so I did. Still got 2 after that, but still take it.

The cysts are getting smaller each time, but like I wrote earlier, I think I could have the smallest one ever and still my body would go nuts!

I didn't mean to write you a book, but I just know what it feels like NOT to know what to do. With the first one, I really didn't know...but then when I got symptoms, I knew it had to go.

That's what happens with me, estria, I can't take it anymore, so I WANT it out.

If I were you and had no symptoms that bothered me, I'd just watch it and not worry about malignancy. If I went for the ultrasound and it was gone, then I'd want laproscopy because that would mean it had ruptured and I wouldn't want to have infection.

Now maybe other people are different. Can a cyst rupture and your body clears it up on its own without your body getting infected? I don't know that answer, but would like to.

That would be my only concern though.

If you have any questions, please ask. And please keep me posted on your situation. Thank you for writing.

Take care!

Salty

Quote:
    Originally Posted by estria View Post
    Hello Salty,

If you don't mind my asking, how big were your ovarian cysts ? The reason I ask is that I have a 7.5 cm fluid filled cyst on my left ovary which was still hanging around 8 weeks after my first ultrasound. I also had the CA-125 test, just in case and it came out at 7 which is low (thank goodness). My gyne says it is a benign serous cyst and gave me the option of either keeping an eye on it or of having it removed. I decided to opt for keeping an eye on it. For one thing I am afraid that if I have it removed, another will grow in its place and I don't want to be running in and out of the hospital for surgical procedures. For another, I have read that the fluid filled kind of cysts are very rarely dangerous (between .1 and 3 % can turn out to be malignant) and they have done studies which show that they do not turn malignant over time.

May I ask why your surgeon decided to have them removed ? Where they very large or did they cause problems ? I am certain that if you want to have another laparoscopy for this third cyst, then this is certainly the right thing to do. Hopefully these other cysts were not simply functional cysts that would have gone away on their own, right ? As you may know, we women get cysts on our ovaries every month and one of these usually breaks open to release an egg when we ovulate. The others usually regress. I assume that you had kept an eye on yours and they did not regress .. like mine.

I would appreciate hearing about your experience and good luck with the surgeon tomorrow.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
    estria
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hello Salty,

Thanks ever so much for writing back. I totally agree with you about having it taken out if you are having symptoms. I am not at all surprised that he is doing a laparoscopy like the other two and I am sure he was joking that other time. At any rate, it's nice to know that after two other procedures, the surgery does not seem to bother you because this is where I may be headed if this thing gets any bigger. I am about your age (I am 42) and I too don't like that peri word but I am wondering if these cysts tend to pop up more frequently around this time in our lives. As to the cyst rupturing, yes the body usually takes care of it by absorbing the fluid (although I hear that it is quite painful if it happens and this does not thrill me .. I am a musician and a teacher and hope that this never happens to me on stage or while giving a lecture !). Of course infection is always the fear but a round of antibiotics is usually all that is needed for this. There is also the possibility that the cyst is reabsorbed by the ovary so it can actually disappear without necessarily having to rupture first. Glad to hear about the probiotics and garlic. I eat these regularly so who knows ..

All the best with the surgery and do let us know how everything goes. Here's to cystless ovaries !

Best,

Estria

Old 01-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Estria. I still want to have a child, but I'd like to find a good man first. I think about that all the time, but right now all I want is relief from my symptoms!

Thanks for the info about the ruptured cyst. I always wondered about that. If it's any consolation to you, I didn't feel mine at all when it ruptured. If anything, it must have felt like a menstrual cramp because I didn't even know it happened and my body is very sensitive.

I do know that yours if bigger though, but still, I would think it's more like cramping than anything. You should post about that...it would be interesting to see what people have felt when their cyst ruptured.

See now if I had KNOWN about the cyst that ruptured, I could have gotten antibiotics, but Nooo, I had to keep suffering with the stomach pains, fever, etc. until I was begging for surgery!

Glad you mentioned the probiotics...since my last visit I have been eating Greek yogurt and also taking probiotic in supplement form. I stopped just taking acidolphilus a long time ago.

I swear by the Greek yogurt. I also drink acai juice and take that by supplement.

I probably take another 5 supplements including a multivitamin. Another thing I have started doing is stopping the fish oil and instead taking a TB of Hemp seed oil every day and adding walnuts to my diet.

I also only drink organic nonfat milk now...I definitely don't need anymore hormones in my body! And I drink water more now.

Now who knows what's working, but I wouldn't give up the Greek yogurt, the probiotic, the hemp seed oil or the acai for anything.

I still take the garlic every day, but a smaller amount.

Here's to ending these cysts for good!

Salty

Closed Thread