It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Yeast infection/vaginal health...need advise

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User
    Yeast infection/vaginal health...need advise

I think Im suffering from yeast infections but am not sure. Right now Im pretty positive I have one because I have a slight burning sensation when I urinate (Ive had a UTI before and its definately not that again) and redness around the area, which I thought was normal, and I have always ALWAYS had discharge. The problem is that I got tested for yeast a few years before and they told me I didnt have yeast, that discharge is just normal. Sometimes...only sometimes I feel the need to itch, but its never constant so I ignored it. Lastly is intercourse, I always thought that I just didnt get "wet" enough and thats why my skin got irritated after sex.

Now Im one person who neglects getting regular checkups, but I got pregnant and lost it about a week later, and at my checkup I found out that my painful sex is probably due to a yeast infection, which she tested and said I had "a little bit". So all these signs lead to me thinking that Ive been suffering from yeast for quite possibly a long time? If this is the case well then I'd better get on the case of a cure!

So basically Im just trying to find out a few things about keeping myself "healthy" down there. I know that yogurt and cranberry juice is supposed to be good for preventing it or just keeping it all in check, so heres a few things I wonder.

Is any yogurt that says it has live cultures just as good as plain? I could stand trying to sweeten regular yogurt up if I had to, but prefer the flavored kind.

Whats the best way to clean yourself externally down there? I know they says the vagina is "self cleaning" but Im talking about externally, where the BO tends to be. Is baby shampoo good? I used to use Eve but they changed their forumla or something recently and Im not to fond of it.

What is the best OTC or natural remedy to cure it? I heard that the OTC 7 day one works best as compaired to the 3 or 1 day. I also heard you can actually put yogurt down there..which Im not sure I wanna try just yet.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
    skyy11
    Veteran
    (female)

skyy11 HB User
    Re: Yeast infection/vaginal health...need advise

I think any yogurt is good. My Dr. told me that eating yogurt is good to prevent it.

As far as cleaning, use a gentle soap like Dove or an all natural type. I have too tried the old Summer's Eve cleanser and liked it much better. I recently tried the shower gel and really did not like it. Massengill also made a special cleanser too which was good.

I have had a hard time using the over the counter yeast creams. I think I was allergic to it and it made my symptoms worse. My Dr. gave me this one dose tablet for my last yeast problem, and that worked out for me.

I have not tried or put yogurt there, though. Hope this can be helpful!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
    dreamer79
    (female)

dreamer79 HB User

great questions. this is my exact problem..so i am curious to see what others think about this. i eat yougurt all the time, but have been itching real bad lately. and always have the discharge, i am trying the 7 day supply cream from walmart so i am hoping that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Dreamin of you tonight, till tomorrow and for all of the night~

Old 02-28-2008, 01:50 AM   #4
    georgiana
    (female)

georgiana HB User

Hi, are you on any other antibiotics, this can cause a change in the PH (acidity/alkalinity) of the area. Soaps are not recommended.I use simply delicate by Avon.You might need systemic cleansing with internal antifungal pills, as well as your partner or spouse being treated, this is generally overlooked, but it could be cross infection if 7 day treatment is not effective.Also, too much of anything for instance yogurt can cause an imbalance body PH, thus eat it in moderation. Your overall body systems might be too acidic thus stay of citric fruits and acidic foods(another topic entirely) Aloe vera taken internally and the jelly applied topically to the area would do you good.Wear cotton pants, washing the area after each wee can be quite soothing.The aspect of not getting wet enough during intercourse, yes it could be a factor, in later years hormone levels change causing changes in mucous secretion and texture, thus causing dryness in the area.After using 7 day treatment, if it does not subside see a doctor for tests and additional prescription.As I said earlier Aloe vera nectar juice helps.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:37 AM   #5
    caz50
    (female)

caz50 HB User

Hi, I suffer a lot from yeast infections as I'm asthmatic and take antibiotics for chest infections several times a year. Thrush can be very tiresome and depressing sometimes, what with the discharge and that infernal itching! I usually ask the doc for a Canesten pessary and it usually does the trick. Its a single dose and clears it within 2-3 days. I have used yogurt before - eating it and applying it to the outside and inside of the area! Its a bit messy but appears to work! But it needs to be natural LIVE yogurt. The best one I find is the greek-style yogurt its very thick and tastes quite fruity even though its natural. Anyway hope someone may benefit from this info - I'm new so hope my first post can do some good! Carol.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
    skyy11
    Veteran
    (female)

skyy11 HB User
    Post Re: Yeast infection/vaginal health...need advise

In response to the other post, a MILD soap is OK. I have asked my Dr. about this. As far as when you are having the yeast problem, I would not use anything down there except plain warm water. But for everyday cleansing, a mild soap is alright. Just to clean the outside area of the vulva. Rinse well! Also,
    You can eat the live-yogurt once a day, everyday I have been told. It is very good for you. I would be careful of using any over the counter creams-they can be more irritating if you have an allergy to them! I would call your DR. first.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
    vic77
    (female)

vic77 HB User

Have you ever read the book The Yeast Connection, I think it is by Dr. Cooke. He offers tips on how to clean up an infection and ways to prevent them. I used his book several years ago and it made a drastic change on how I felt, besides the fact I lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks. He also has a cookbook with the same name.

I also take garlic tablets and use garlic in all my cooking because it is a great yeast fighter. Garlic can also be steeped like a tea bag and used for douching and/or soaking other areas that have yeast problems. Also, do not eat sugar, or anything white, becauses it causes yeast to grow.

Also, if you are only use something to prevent a vaginal yeast infection vaginally, you need to use something internally also. This is because the yeast infectioin does not go away, it just moves farther up the reproductive tract. Just because you don't have signs of a yeast infection does not mean it is not there; some people do not reallize the infection isn't gone until they are diagnoised with a systemic yeast infection.

Vic

Old 03-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
    saphire82
    Veteran
    (female)

saphire82 HB User

Hey everyone thanks for your advise! I really appritiate it. I have another question regarding a yeast infection/urinary tract health. So Ive heard that two Alka Seltzer tablets can cure a urinary tract infection, plus searching for it on the internet also brought up a lot of search results. Has anyone ever tried this or know if it works?

Im trying to avoid needing antibiotics so it doesnt aggrivate things down there, which Im currently eating yogurt and will be adding cranberry juice daily, plus I know cranberry's also good for UTI's. I dont want to take antibiotics for the UTI that might make upset the yeast.

Please advise, thanks!

Old 03-04-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
    DNSX3
    Veteran
    (female)

DNSX3 HB UserDNSX3 HB User

I guess, as for cleaning it...a very mild soap (Dove) or just warm water. As for OTC meds, I would get a 7 day treatment (not a 3 day, they dont alays work) Get a 7 day with the morning and night time stuff in it.I use REPHESH once/twice a month, It balances out vaginal PH, or take Azo yeast daily..Plus Acidillious.These are just things I do to keep things running well.((Good Luck))

Old 08-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
    xheartxofxgold
    (female)

xheartxofxgold HB User

OKAY the ony way to eliminate the external smell, and all that discharge, and yeast infections....is to get yourself on a routine of taking acidophilus capsules.acidophilus naturally occurs in yogurt....but you'd have to eat about 60 yogurts a day or some ridiculous number to replace all the healthy bacteria you're body needs in your vagina.so basically, you need to take the acidophilus capsules...because they are filled with 100 times the good bacteria that yogurt has in it.Tha capsules are not expensive....like $7.00 for the cheapest at walmart.Just take them everytime you see or feel a yeast infection coming on.take them for about a week or two at a time and it literally cleans you out.This is a natural way of curing a yeast infection...but it actually gets RID of the infection.You get discharge and infections when you're vagina is thrown off of its PH balance. So you can imagine that when you load a bunch of monostat and vagisil into it when its already thrown off of ph blance, then its only going to throw you even more off balance and your yeast infection will never go away.thats why monostat makes billions of dollars...becuase you dont know how else to cure your infection except for the kits you can buy.TAKE ACIDOPHILUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! please. you wil never use another yeast infection kit again sister.

ohh yea and make sure you keep it in your refrig after opening, becuase the capsules contain like cells, just like in yogurt.

Closed Thread