It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Stopped Depo, Now What?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
    mandarue
    (female)

mandarue HB User
    Stopped Depo, Now What?

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I don't know much of the lingo or a whole lot about this stuff actually . But I wanted to share my experience with Depo, and get any advice anyone has for me.

I was on the depo shot for about one year. I was supposed to take the shot again on Feb 19 this year (08) but didn't. My husband and I are not actively trying to conceive, but it's in the future. That's why I didn't take the shot last month. I wanted to get the shot out of my system so when we began trying, it might be easier. The more i read on the internet , the more I think it's not going to happen that easy.

My history, I am 26, never been pregnant. I have never had a regular period, I could never say "I'm going to start on this day" or even this week lol I stopped having periods for a few months on end when I was about 18 or 19. I am overweight, went on Weight Watchers for a while when I was about 21 and lost a lot of weight. My periods came back when I lost the weight. Then I gained it back ( plus more lol). The periods stopped altogether when I gained it back. I went for over a year ( I actually lost track for a while) without having a period. I was 22 or 23 when I went to the health dept ( i had no insurance then and had actually never been to a gynocologist). The health dept. diagnosed me with PCOS and suggested I get a transvaginal US. Again, I had no insurance, so no US was done. No PCOS treatment was initiated by the health dept. regardless of the US being done or not. The health dept. gave me Ortho-cept birth control pills to get me to start a period. I was not sexually active at this time either. I took the birth control pills for about a year. I got a new job, got insurance (Yay!) and went to an OB/Gyn. I like my ob/gyn , she is good at what she does and is very professional. In between starting birth control pills and seeing my ob/gyn I developed High blood pressure. My primary physician put me on HCTZ for the hbp. My ob/gyn was worried that the birth control pills were the cause of the hbp and since I was already diagnosed with it, felt I didn't need to be on the pills for the reasons of blood clots, stroke, etc. So she gave me two options: Depo Provera or IUD. I opted for depo. i was sexually active at this time and thought it would be a good solution, no periods, birth control, yay! I only had a couple of spotting episodes while on depo and then basically no periods ( which doesn't bother me lol). Right around the time I took my first depo shot, my ob/gyn had me have a pelvic US. This US confirmed the fact the I DO NOT have PCOS, the health dept. misdiagnosed me. My ob/gyn told me that I had no evidence of PCOS, and only very small amount of thickening on the walls and that was be expected, it wasn't abnormal.

Now like I said, I was supposed to take my next shot on Feb. 19. I didn't. Not been that long since coming off the depo, but still no periods or spotting yet.
    Am I ever going to get a period back since I hadn't had one for such a long time before? Do I need hormones? Do I have amenorrhea? Why hasn't my ob/gyn addressed this with me? I am frustrated and very impatient I know, but does anyone have any advice? Have I really messed myself up with depo?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
    mandy737
    (female)

mandy737 HB User
    Re: Stopped Depo, Now What?

my sister got pregnant quickly after getting of depo for 3 years. she now has a 3 month old. first step you should take before even trying to concieve is folic acid and just relax.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
    mandarue
    (female)

mandarue HB User

I just worry where I never had a regular period for most of my life. Then where I didn't have a period for over a year, went on the pills then the depo.. I just wonder what's wrong with me? I had periods when I was on the pill, that was the only time it was almost like clockwork. Then I went on depo, no periods and none since coming off of it yet. It's been almost a month since I came off of depo. I'm probably just being impatient but I still worry...:

Old 03-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
    alikat709
    (female)

alikat709 HB User

we are all different but, in my experience with depo, I was on it for 4 yrs my last shot was april 2007, No period until october 13, it lasted 6 days, then november it lasted about 19 days, december nothing ,january it was at least 3 weeks on stopped for 2 days then came back for a couple more, nothing february,and march im on day 2. It should be totally out of my system by now . I am one of the depo horror stories with all the nasty side effects , I never realised my symptoms were from the depo I kept blaming my thyroid, Even though the doctors dont agree with me I know that all of my problems have been caused by that ****. There are many post out there that people were able to get pregnant soon after and others that had to be a little more patient,
    I hope this helps

Closed Thread