It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Abdominal Pain...Help please...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
    appalled
    (female)

appalled HB User
    Abdominal Pain...Help please...

The week before last I developed some pain on my lower left side in the abdomin. It felt to me that the pain was in my pelvis area. It felt much the same as when I've had an ovarian cyst. Naturally, being I was ovulating, I thought of it as probably being another cyst, so basically I ignored it. Then the other day, the pain was so severe I went to the emergency room. I figured if it was a cyst, that it erupted, as ovarian cysts have done before with me.

Some history: I have endometriosis, had a tubal pregnancy, high risk pregnancy, then had my tubes cut/tied/burned (problems ever since), cysts, DNC, and laproscopy. On occassion I've had small amount of blood in my stool but was told that was from my endometriosis. My periods used to be 7 -8 day duration and regulated, but now they vary between 1-7 days. My last period was 2 days.

My symtoms were...severe abdominal pain (left side pelvic area), severe nausea, and low grade fever.

The doctor took blood tests, did a pap smear, and checked me for std's. Of course, as I knew, I was clean (no std's). Said he didn't feel a mass on the left ovary. He gave me a shot of pain med, which helped relieve the pain but I could still feel some pain. I don't know any of the blood results, just that he said all was good and that he felt I didnt need an ultrasound. Said if it was a cyst that erupted, it probably was a large one being I was in the condition I was in, said he didnt think it was a twisted/turned ovary..then he told me if the pain got worse to come back and he sent me home.

Okay so now, here I am, a couple days later...and here is what I noticed:
    I'm still feeling pain but not as severe to warrant me going to the ER (on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say its an 8), the pain is still the severest on my left side near the pelvis but I am feeling pain spread to my mid abdominal area now, my stomach is firm and bloated, I tire quickly, the more I walk the worse it hurts, I'm having stools more than usual (abt 3-5 a day instead of once a day-depends on how much I eat) but they are normal in appearance and does not hurt. I am nauseous, but it doesn't keep me from eating. I just do not feel right in my lower abdominal area. Not sure whats going on. I asked the pharmacist how long it would take for any toxics from an erupted cyst to rid itself from my body but she didn't know. I don't know what is wrong. Apparently neither did the doctors in ER. But I do know I have never had this much problem nor suffered this long with any cysts I've ever had. So that has me wondering what is going on here? If you have any idea what could be going on, what might be wrong, or any suggestions please let me know.

Thank you kindly. And...Thank you for your time and concideration in this matter. I do appreciate it.

Last edited by appalled; 03-08-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
    appalled
    (female)

appalled HB User
    Re: Abdominal Pain...Help please...

And what about hemoraging? Isnt there something they can do to stop the pain?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
    estria
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello,

Quite frankly I would insist on having an ultrasound done just to be sure that everything is OK in there. An ovarian cyst cannot be diagnosed for sure without an ultrasound despite what they say about being able to feel it on a pelvic exam (I have a 9 cm cyst that my doctor never felt on my pelvic exam and it was only found with ultrasound).

The reason doctors don't worry about cysts too much is because most cysts are the functional kind that we get every month that contain the egg. However, occasionally these things can bleed into themselves and when they rupture they will release blood into the abdomen which irritates the lining and causes pain. Your body can absorb a certain amount of blood but within reason. Cysts can also be filled with either serous fluid or mucinous fluid and depending upon which it may be painful or not. In other words, there are many unknowns when it comes to cysts due to all of the different types of ovarian cysts (functional and non functional) and what they are filled with (serous, mucinous fluids, blood etc..). An ultrasound can confirm if you do indeed have a cyst and it can also give an idea as to the type of cyst .. at the very least if the cyst is fluid filled or not and how large. If a cyst has ruptured and you have fluid in your abdomen, an ultrasound can see this as well, provided your body has not absorbed it by the time you have the u.s.

At any rate, you are still having pain and you are experiencing uncomfortable symptoms which are not normal for you. You therefore need to investigate further. Don't let your doctor slough you off like this. Whenever women are feeling pelvic pain or discomfort many doctors tend to ignore this or put it off to normal "female emotional hysterics". Insist that your doctor send you for that ultrasound so that you can find out the cause of your discomfort. You are the best person to know what is normal for your body and what isn't.

I hope you find an answer very soon. Take care.

Estria

Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
    Dansgrl
    (female)

Dansgrl HB User

It could also be diverticulitis. In which case you would need to have some antibiotics. The doc should put you on some if the cyst was large anyway.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
    shisslak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

On a scale from 1-10 and you are ranking your pain as an "8". Return to the emergency room, demand that ultasound along with an abdominal cat scan. Any unexplained abdominal pain needs to be explained and you are oviously no better so the cyst theory needs to be ruled in or out. Other reasons for abdominal pain also must be ruled in or out.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
    appalled
    (female)

appalled HB User

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate them very much.
    I have an appt with my regular doctor this Thursday. It was as soon as they could take me.
    In the meantime, the pain has become touch and go, as far as severity goes. In other words, its still there on the left side pelvic area but, isn't steadily acute. And I've noticed a little blood in my stool today. Twice now.
    I will INSIST on an ultrasound if my doctor doesn't give me one, but I will also ask him for a "referral" to the gynocologist.
    Again THANK YOU. And if you have any other suggestions that might help, please let me know.
    Have a great day!

Last edited by appalled; 03-10-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: left something out

Old 03-11-2009, 06:01 AM   #7
    estria
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello,

If you are experiencing blood in your stool then I doubt that this is a gynecological problem. In addition to an ultrasound (to rule out any gynecological problems), you should ask for either a sigmoidoscopy or a colonoscopy to have a look at your colon.

The sig looks at the bottom third of your colon and is a relatively simple procedure. As I recall, I had to have a couple of enemas before I left for my appointment and the test took about 10 minutes (I was not sedated and drove home afterwards no problem). The only uncomfortable part of this test is when they put some air in the colon in order to see but once they let it out, you are fine. The colonoscopy requires a bowel prep the night before and you are sedated for the procedure so you don't feel a thing (not general anaesthesia, just a light sedative .. most people fall asleep and wake up feeling refreshed afterwards). This looks at the entire colon and they are able to take out any polyps while they are there.

Blood in stool is most often caused by hemmorhoids (internal hemmorhoids have differing symptoms from the more common external ones so they have to be diagnosed using a rectoscope) but it can also be caused by a host of other things like diverticulitis, irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's Colitis etc.. A colonoscopy will find the problem, if there is one, for sure so this may be your best bet. Your doctor may refer you to a gastroenterologist instead of a gynecologist. You may still want an appointment with both though, just to cover your bases.

I hope you find the answer very soon so that you can begin to get better.

All the best to you.

Estria

Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #8
    appalled
    (female)

appalled HB User

UPDate:
    I went to the doctor and he's sending me for cat scan to and hopes to determine whether I need to go to the gynocologist or gastrologist. Time will tell, in the meantime, I'm still having problems so they've put me on antibiotics and pain meds.
    Thank you all for your help.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
    appalled
    (female)

appalled HB User

Hello,

Thought I would let you know that I went back to the doctor for my tests results. Turns out I have Fibroid Tumors. They will be surgically removed.
    Everything is gonna be allright...One day at a time!
    Thank you all for your help!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
    shisslak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

It is so nice to have some answers. When are you schedule for surgery?

Good luck and I hope this solves all your problems.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #11
    msboards2
    (female)

msboards2 HB User

appalled, congrats on finally getting answers. I'm sorry that you went through everything you did with your doctors (including the ER ones). It's not fun dealing with doctors that don't want to take the time to think even the slightest bit outside the box.

Estria, very nicely stated about how a good many doctors are in reference to our female pains.

Ladies, we have to complain when doctors treat us differently or very badly (i.e. the story listed in this thread for starters). Make a formal complaint to your state's Medical Board, if need to be. Dont' be afraid to sue, if needed.

Closed Thread