It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Ovary not found on Ultrasound or CT

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
    naturehippie
    (female)

naturehippie HB User
    Ovary not found on Ultrasound or CT

Just to give an overview:

22 years old
    In remission from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (diffuse large b cell)
    No gallbladder
    ovarian cyst removed from right ovary in 2008.

Ok, so this past weekend I got really sick and couldn't eat or drink or keep foods down. Nausea and vomitting lead to dehydration. Had really bad pain in the lower right quadrant. Primary doctor sent me to the ER.

ER did a CT with contrast, Transvaginal ultrasound and abdominal ultrasound.

They couldnt' find my right ovary on any of the scans. They admitted me for 3 days to control the pain and get rehydrated.

I went home wednesday morning and was doing fine.. yesterday I was fine.. this morning I woke up and started getting pain again. I've had some spotting since the ultrasound. Final diagnosis was rupturing cysts but I had alot of free flowing fluid in my pelvis. And they were worried because they couldn't find my ovary in any scans. I'm going to OB/GYN on tuesday. The pain is getting worse again. I also have 4 or 5 smaller cysts on my left ovary as well. Doctors thought my surgeon removed my ovary but I know that she left it in.

Any thoughts or suggestions onto why the ovary is not seen? I'm also wondering what we can do to prevent further cysts. I am already on birth control (2 different ones previously now on a stronger one) but I continue to get cysts. I am thinking that if they take out the cysts on my left I may ask to take my appendix out as well. Since everytime I get sick they test for appendix and it is usually a cysts. if I don't have hte appendix than that is one lest thing that we have to test for. Think it is possible?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
    krba201076
    (male)

Location: USA--I'm female hit wrong button when I registered...
    krba201076 HB User
    Re: Ovary not found on Ultrasound or CT

Hi,

I've had ovarian cysts since 2006 and had surgery for them in 2009.

They said the same thing about mine not being visible on the ultrasound. I was told by the ultrasound tech (though this was off the record as she was not supposed to be telling me this) that my whole left ovary was not visible and when that happens it means that this cyst is made up of dermoid material. Do a search on dermoid cysts that is probably what you u have. and birth control pills don't help dermoids as I was on birth control pills as well and the cysts just kept hurting and didn't go anywhere. hth

Old 02-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
    naturehippie
    (female)

naturehippie HB User

That is good to know. It was just unusual because it didn't show up on any of the CT's or Ultrasounds.. and they asked me if I had it removed with the last surgery but I know for sure I still had it.

I have an appointment with my gyno on Tuesday so i'll have to see if that could be it.

Thanks for your suggestion

Do they take the dermoid cyst out surgically or leave it in or what?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krba201076 View Post
    Hi,

I've had ovarian cysts since 2006 and had surgery for them in 2009.

They said the same thing about mine not being visible on the ultrasound. I was told by the ultrasound tech (though this was off the record as she was not supposed to be telling me this) that my whole left ovary was not visible and when that happens it means that this cyst is made up of dermoid material. Do a search on dermoid cysts that is probably what you u have. and birth control pills don't help dermoids as I was on birth control pills as well and the cysts just kept hurting and didn't go anywhere. hth

Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
    krba201076
    (male)

Location: USA--I'm female hit wrong button when I registered...
    krba201076 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Ovary not found on Ultrasound or CT

They usually take dermoid cysts out. It is a complex cyst and complex cysts (as opposed to regular old fluid filled ones) are nothing to play around with (or so they say to me). I mean there's not much they can do for dermoids. As you can see with your experience and mine, birth control pills don't do anything for them. If they are large enough to be causing symptoms, then most doctors want to snip snip.

I had a recent ultrasound done to make sure that everything was clear. Unfortunately, it is not. They say they see another dermoid. But this one is no where near as big. So they are doing a repeat ultrasound in six weeks to see whether to operate or just do watchful waiting. The doctor I have now is a lady who really is not knife happy so I am happy to have her. They did a CA125 (I think that's what it is called) blood test for tumor markers though. If they had seen possible signs of cancer in that blood work, there would be no repeat ultrasounds or watchful waiting. They would go in and take it out. So a blood test for tumor markers is important if you are really not sure you want to undergo surgery and the cysts aren't too painful.

I too am on a journey to be free of these horrible cysts.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
    naturehippie
    (female)

naturehippie HB User

Oh ok. Yeah, right now.. I'm at the point I'd rather them just take it out. I don't want to put up with this pain anymore. Especially when it comes to cancer. I've already been through chemo and I'd not want to take anymore chances when it comes to cancer. I just thought it was so wierd that it didn't show up on any of the scans... I'm just really hoping that I can make it until Tuesday with the pain. It hurts to do alot of stuff so I'm just laying in bed not doing much. I'm so tired of it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krba201076 View Post
    They usually take dermoid cysts out. It is a complex cyst and complex cysts (as opposed to regular old fluid filled ones) are nothing to play around with (or so they say to me). I mean there's not much they can do for dermoids. As you can see with your experience and mine, birth control pills don't do anything for them. If they are large enough to be causing symptoms, then most doctors want to snip snip.

I had a recent ultrasound done to make sure that everything was clear. Unfortunately, it is not. They say they see another dermoid. But this one is no where near as big. So they are doing a repeat ultrasound in six weeks to see whether to operate or just do watchful waiting. The doctor I have now is a lady who really is not knife happy so I am happy to have her. They did a CA125 (I think that's what it is called) blood test for tumor markers though. If they had seen possible signs of cancer in that blood work, there would be no repeat ultrasounds or watchful waiting. They would go in and take it out. So a blood test for tumor markers is important if you are really not sure you want to undergo surgery and the cysts aren't too painful.

I too am on a journey to be free of these horrible cysts.

The following user gives a hug of support to naturehippie:
    krba201076 (02-27-2011)
    Closed Thread