It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Laparotomy after ectopic pregnancy.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
    ktcyp
    (female)

ktcyp HB User
    Question Laparotomy after ectopic pregnancy.

I had an ectopic pregnancy which led to my right fallopian tube rupturing causing internal bleeding (and extreme pain) leading to an emergency laparotomy. My right tube had to be removed. Luckily my left tube and ovary are ok.
    This was only 7 days ago so I am still in recovery. But i am concerned as to why my stomach below the bellybutton is so bloated. I am assuming this is just down to swelling but could there be other causes that I should be worrying about? My stomach was flat before the surgery so it is very noticeable an looks quite abnormal as the bloating is quite extreme. Has anyone else had similar surgery with this after effect, is it normal, does it go down?
    I am new to this board so apologise if i have posted this in the wrong place.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
    TreeFrog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB User
    Re: Laparotomy after ectopic pregnancy.

Hi

I'm glad you are alright and still have an ovary intact. You're very lucky.

I had a complete hysterectomy. One week recovery isn't very far along.

In my case they injected air into the abdominal cavity to make it easier to do surgery, which I think may be pretty common. It can take awhile for the air to get reabsorbed and removed from the body. Besides the normal swelling, as long as you have no fever or sign of infection, I would assume air was also the cause of the bloating.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User
    Re: Laparotomy after ectopic pregnancy.

I went through the exact same thing years ago, and I waited too long to go to the hospital, causing so much internal bleeding that I had a heart attack on the operating table.

I also think the puffiness is a combination of the trauma that has happened inside, swelling, and the air that is put in to puff you up for surgery.

I returned to normal in a few weeks....except for the heart attack. Take your time and recover properly. best wishes!

I would watch down the road for pain in the same area...I ended up getting endometriosis at the site of the operation (10 years later). Not suggesting you will follow the same path, but I went through so much getting a proper diagnosis, I just wanted to share that with you. The pain is actually the same, like being in labor, rhythmic cramps with periods of no pain in between. Take care!

Last edited by writeleft; 03-26-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Closed Thread