HealthBoards (
-   Women's Health (
-   -   Scared (

NativeLoveBug 07-24-2011 08:13 PM

i am 18 yrs old. i've been bleeding for a little over a month and i beginning to get scared. Anyone know what it could be or any advice on what i should do?

writeleft 07-24-2011 11:31 PM

Re: Scared
It is time to get yourself into to an OB/gyn for a check up. Have you ever been to a woman's doctor before? Are you able to speak to your mother or a friend about this? There are several treatments available for this condition, and help is just around the corner for you, you just need to make an appointment. Try not to worry, you will be fine, once you see a doctor.

NativeLoveBug 07-25-2011 01:00 AM

Re: Scared
Thank you. And no i have never beem to a women's doctor. i'm nervous and scared to go to a obgyn

solofelix 07-25-2011 02:46 AM

Re: Scared
Hi, You should go to your Dr. Is there a female Dr at your Health Centre, perhaps you would be more comfortable seeing someone of your own sex. You could even see the Nurse at your Health-Centre.
You should not leave this as you could become Aneamic if it continues.
Good Luck, Solofelix.

writeleft 07-25-2011 03:03 AM

Re: Scared
I understand your fear, it is one of those things as women that we all have to do, and if you explain it is your first time, they will be more than happy to walk you through it very gently. I promise the anticipation is the worst part, once it is over with you will be so relieved, and having that first visit behind you will get those first time jitters over with too.

Have a friend or your mom go with you, but do get in to be seen. Bleeding that long can lead to other problems, and you will be back on track real soon. I can tell you that I am 50 years old now, and going to the female doc is a piece of cake for me. The exam itself is very quick, and it's all over just like that. I am sure you will do just fine, just try to get in as soon as possible.


amberia 07-26-2011 02:32 AM

Re: Scared
I definitely agree that you should see a GYN soon. I started my period young, around 10-11, and when I was 12, I went 36 days straight of heavy bleeding. They put me on birth control pills to keep my cycle regulated for several years after that. That was 12 years ago, so I'm not sure what other options they would have for you now, but they should definitely be able to at least stop the cycle. Are you normally regular (do you have a period every month)? If not, birth control pills really do a great job of making you more consistent, and it keeps things under control.

As for what causes it, they think in my case it was a hormonal imbalance that I have that causes my irregular periods. That was the only time I ever bled that long, but I'm still very irregular (3-4 periods a year...I don't take BC anymore). You might ask the doctor about PCOS or something like that IF you are normally very irregular. If you normally have regular periods, that's probably not what it is.

I feel for you. I know it's not fun. Just hang in there and get to a GYN.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 PM.