It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• non-existent period?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
    gardenoftea
    (female)

gardenoftea HB User
    Question non-existent period?

I am 17 years old. I started my period when i was 11 years old in march. then, four months later in july i had another, and then another one four or five months later. Since then i have not had a regular period. When i was 15, i began taking birth control pills in an attempt to (as my doctor put it) "jumpstart" my period. i got my period during the time i was on the pills but did not after i stopped taking them. a couple months later i began taking them again and got the same results; period while on the pill, but as soon as i stopped taking them, my periods disappeared. i did not attempt to start it again, however upon request by my boyfriend, i got back on the pill about six months ago. halfway into the second month i got my period but it lasted for 22 days. after that experience, i stopped taking the pill. i have been off of it for about four months. i went in for hormones level tests and a couple ultrasounds to check and see if all of my parts and pieces were there and working correctly and according to the doctors everything was fine. however, they told me that unless i went to extremes to try and get pregnant it wouldnt happen naturally. i have had unprotected sex and i have not gotten pregnant so clearly i am not ovulating. my doctors and my parents do not really seem to think that there is anything wrong because "sometimes youre a late bloomer", but i had my period six years ago and then it mysteriously stopped and has not come back ever since then. is there anything that might point me in the right direction or something i can do to try and figure out what is going on with my body? having children is something that i really look forward to (much later in the future of course) and when the time is right i want to be able to. not to mention that the fact that a normaly bodily function is not happening with me. I am not obese or underweight nor do i suffer from an eating disorder. i cannot think of anything that might cause this to be happening. anything will be of much help. thank you very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
    josey
    (female)

josey HB User
    Re: non-existent period?

It is true that some girls start their periods later than others. And it is good you have seen a doctor about the issue. However, given your concerns, I would go right back in to the doctor and keep pushing them to help you. Often times we have to advocate for our own health and let doctors know we won't stop until we feel we've been heard. I would be extremely agitated to be so irregular as well, it is hard to know what is going on in your own skin when you never know what is going to happen day-to-day.

Now I'm going to put on my mama hat and say this: please DO NOT have unprotected sex unless you are prepared to get pregnant. I understand your period is irregular and that this probably means your ovulation is irregular as well. This should make you more diligent about birth control as you could ovulate at any time. Offhand, I know of at least two people who got pregnant unexpectedly after being told they were unable to do so. It can happen and I would think, given your age, you probably are not ready to be a parent. If you feel hormonally your body doesn't handle the pill well, than use another method (condoms, diaphragm, etc) but please do not go unprotected.

So, I would talk with your mom (or whatever adult helps you with your health issues) and see if you can't get back in to your doctor. Pills are tough because there are so many of them woth different types of hormones, different levels of hormones and so forth. Perhaps it is just a matter of finding the right fit for your situation. I do not do well on the pill and every time I get back on, it seems to take two or three different tries before I find the right pill.

One last thought is perhaps a second opinion on the matter is due? Seek out a new doctor and see what they say. You never know, they may be better versed on your type of issue.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
    charmed29
    (female)

charmed29 HB User
    Re: non-existent period?

I am no doctor, but I am shocked that your doctor has not mentioned anything to you about PCOS. It happens to be more common then people think. Google it, or look it up on here. There is plenty of information out there. And I to have a none existant period. But I will tell you something that most doctors in my experience if they are any good should tell you. You should have a period at least every 3 months. There are drugs for that (progestrone, I believe its called). The reason for this is because if you go more than 3 months with out having a period pre-cancerous cells can start to form in the un-shed lining. As for making your periods regular there is a drug called metformin, which I am on that is the treatment for PCOS. It's first purpose is for ppl with diabetes, but women with PCOS are more prone to getting diabetes in the future so it helps it from happening. A couple things about PCOS though... weight gain is a common symptom. You may not have that issue now or even in to your early to mid 20's, but if it really is PCOS, when your metabolism slows it will become a problem. And it is slow to come off! As for children, it is difficult for women with PCOS to have children, but not impossible. I am living proof. My mom had PCOS. So there is hope. I would go back to the doctor and hound them until you get a proper diagnosis.

Closed Thread

Tags
    period, pregnancy, sexual health