It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• No idea what's happening to my body and I'm pretty much terrified

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
    MsJenn
    (female)

MsJenn HB User
    No idea what's happening to my body and I'm pretty much terrified

Hey all:

I'm new to the forum and need some help because I don't know what's happening to my body. I'm 28 years old, I eat a very healthy diet, I drink tons of water, get plenty of rest, and am a semi-pro athlete. I've also suffered from chronic yeast infections for the past 4 years. It took me three years ON MY OWN to figure out that I cannot tolerate alcohol. For reasons I am still unsure of, if I have more than 3 alcoholic beverages in a week - particularly wine! - 2 days after imbibing I will end up with a raging yeast infection. Not sure why...does it put yeast into my system? Does it kill off the natural balance of flora and fauna in my gut? Does it just feed existing yeast a smorgasbord of sugars that they then thrive off of? I don't know. At this point though, I don't care. As long as I avoid antibiotics and alcohol, I'm good. (ps, antibiotics never used to give me yeast infections until I got into my late early early 20s... anyone know what change in my body caused them to effect me differently?)

But now I have a whole new problem. I have a new boyfriend and we are sexually exclusive. The first two months were fine, but then last month right before my period, within 12 hours of having sex, I developed what I thought was a yeast infection but the OTCs didn't help, so I went to the doc who said I had BV. First time I'd ever had it. So I take the 1 dose of 4 pills of Flagyl orally (2000mg) and it took care of the problem (minus giving me a yeast infection which i had to take diflucan for). Flash forward one month though, a week after my period the same thing happened - within 12 hours of sex, I end up with an infection. I go to get it checked out and turns out I have a yeast infection *AND* BV. UUGH! The yeast I can understand because I had been drinking a bit for friends' birthdays, but BV again??? So I decide to go sober for the rest of 2012, and in the meantime, I took the 4 pill dose again of Flagyl and for a couple days I was fine. Then yesterday morning my BF and I fooled around a little bit. I only let him do oral for like 10-15 seconds before I stopped him because I wanted to allow my body a week or so of healing time. Mind you, I always rinse thoroughly with warm water every time after I mess around or have sex with him. Sure enough though, I noticed 12 hours after FIFTEEN SECONDS OF ORAL I have BV again.

So here's my thing: I don't even know where to begin with this problem. I know there are antibiotic creams or I can take Flagyl 2x/day for 7 days, but I'm terrified of the yeast infections I could get from that. But whatever, I'll do what I have to do, I just need to know how to make this not happen again. Do I need to get my bf treated? Was the one dose of Flagyl simply not enough to kill the original infection and oral sex has nothing to do with it? Are we doomed to using condoms for the rest of our relationship (I didn't seem to have a problem when that was the case... although we also had unprotected sex and I was fine for the first couple months...) My coworker also said I could be allergic to him??? ***. Someone please help me? What is happening to my body and what do I need to do to fix it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread