It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Uterine Prolapse - Resuspension/Hysterectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
    sister in nc
    (female)

sister in nc HB User
    Question Uterine Prolapse - Resuspension/Hysterectomy?

I know this is an old question, but it's been a while since it has come up and I am finding it very hard to get information about it!

I have recently discovered a Grade 3 uterine prolapse (first bladder fell and a few weeks later, it dragged my cerivce/uterus down with it). I am only 42, only had one birth, but I guess they don't really know why this happens to some women and not others.

I'd like to improve things without surgery, but so often I walk around feeling sick and achey and just crappy in general. It makes me feel less helpless to think I might be able to be free from it and I've been exploring surgical options -- I have a good, experienced Uro-Gyn who says he can fix it all up with a technique that includes a partial hysterectomy.

What about uterine (re)suspension? I would like to hear more about what people know or have experienced about this technique. Does anyone know good doctors in the US who perform/ are advocates of uterine suspension (resuspension) surgeries for prolapse? (I know those Atlanta doctors, and Dr. Romanzi in NY)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
    Rich775
    (male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User
    Re: Uterine Prolapse - Resuspension/Hysterectomy?

My wife, now mid-50's, had that done mid-40's a few years after our second/last child. It all worked fine and she has had no problems since. The impression we got was that this is a common procedure. But as far as we know there is no natural fix to this. It is strictly mechanical and requires surgery.

Last edited by Rich775; 07-15-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: clarification

The Following User Says Thank You to Rich775 For This Useful Post:
    sister in nc (07-15-2012)
    Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
    Rich775
    (male)

...And while I said "surgery," it is, but it is done vaginally and not with incisions.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
    sister in nc
    (female)

sister in nc HB User

Thanks for writing! Just to clarify: did your wife have a uterine resuspension or was it a partial hysterectomy to resolve the prolapse? I ask because I don't think my original post was very clear, and it seem that so few doctors do uterus-sparing procedures -- well far fewer anyway. In either case, though, it makes me feel very happy to know that your wife had such a straightforward fix and that it has served her well all this time!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
    Rich775
    (male)

To my knowledge it was both. I'm sure about the resuspension, and I'm pretty sure about the partial hysterectomy. If it makes a difference to you I can ask her whether the hysterectomy was partial or full. It was 13-14 years ago and I have a hard time remembering yesterday.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
    Rich775
    (male)

Hmmm... I guess that wasn't clear. You can't "resuspend" something that has been removed. So the final answer is that it was both: a resuspension and a partial hysterectomy. I think my confusion came with the (forgotten) memory that something else was "resuspended" as well. I think her bladder actually had to also be adjusted... lots of staples and stitches and stuff we men don't know anything about...

Last edited by Rich775; 07-15-2012 at 06:33 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rich775 For This Useful Post:
    sister in nc (07-16-2012)
    Old 07-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
    sister in nc
    (female)

sister in nc HB User

Thanks Rich775! I guess when things are falling, anything you do is sort of suspenseful ! But I'm so encouraged to hear a story of someone who was in my situation that has a positive outcome. I love it when things sound so straightforward!

Re: "suspension/resuspention" I've been reading about new procedures where they "resuspend" the uterus instead of taking it out. I have only found a few surgeons online (in NYC and Atlanta) who do this kind of operation, although the literature suggests that it is just as successful as a partial hysterectomy for uterine prolapse. Maybe it would not make a huge difference, I don't know.

Closed Thread

Tags
    hysterectomy, prolapse