It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Constant spotting and no periods for many months?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
    inapickle7
    (female)

inapickle7 HB User
    Constant spotting and no periods for many months?

I am 29 years old. I started having periods at age 14 pretty regularly and began taking birth control around age 17 and have been on it ever since. For the past 6 or 7 years I have been on Nuvaring for birth control. Maybe 4 years ago I noticed spotting between periods that would last for days and some bleeding after sex. I had a pelvic ultrasound and blood tests done and nothing was found. Slowly over time my periods became lighter and lighter and spotting became more frequent. About a year ago my periods became so light that I barely ever needed anything more than liners, and the spotting became an every day occurrence between periods. The difference between spotting and the periods was still noticeable enough. My doctor first put me on a very very low hormone birth control pill and the spotting diminished. I am terrible at remembering to take pills every day though, so I returned to the nuvaring. Things went back to normal (i.e. spotting), so she suggested going off birth control completely for 3 months to see what would happen. I immediately had a period - pretty heavy for me but probably pretty average for a normal woman. Following that I had 3 weeks spot free. Then the spotting began again and has continued for 2 months. I have not had another period in this time. My doctor now wants me to have a hysterosonograph. I should mention that when I was 20 I went off birth control and my periods stopped completely. I had to take medication to restart them.

Does anyone have any insight into what could be going on here? Is this something that could be potentially serious? Should I get a second opinion before I take a day off work to have this test done? Everything I can find online has to do with pregnancy and menopause problems. I am neither of this things. I should clarify that I have not had sex in 4 months - so I am definitely not pregnant.

Last edited by inapickle7; 12-04-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    ammenhorea, hysterosonogram, spotting