It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Heart Palps - Perimenopause - And The Beat Goes On!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
    lalaflorida
    (female)

lalaflorida HB User
    Red face Heart Palps - Perimenopause - And The Beat Goes On!

Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum! I have a couple of questions regarding heart palps and was wondering if anyone who are suffering could please give me some insight!

I started getting these heart palpatations about 6 months ago. It feels like my heart is skipping a beat. It started out having it a couple days and now it has been constant for the past week. The first attack happed for about an hourwhile at the grocery store and I tried to stay calm but felt like I had tunnel vision and just wanted to get the heck out of there because my legs became like jelly.

I am 46 years old and believe I might be starting.......dah dah dum...perimenopause. I just started my monthly menstrual cycle today and the palps are still there. The past several months, although they are almost regular but my flow has become lighter. Also, I do become emotional and cry at the drop of the hat. Sometimes I do get edgy that I could feel as to choke annoying people until they turn every color of a mood ring! (I am joking of course!) No, seriously, my husband says instead of sufferig from PMS I suffer from PMA (Pretty Much Always)!

I did go to the doctor when it was happening and he brushed it off as anxiety. He did order some bloodwork which I have yet to get because I do have a stressful job working in a law firm. I asked him if he could do an EKG while I was there but he said he will "take it one step at a time" by doing blood work first. I do no have insurance at this time because I just started a new job and cannot afford thousands of dollars in testing.

I had anxiety attacks in the past but for some reason this feels different. With the anxiety attacks my heart feels as though it is going to pound out of my chest. This is more of a skipping beat and I do not totally freak out it just feels kinda scary wondering if you heart is going to pick up again! I do not have any other symptoms like dizziness, do not have chest pains and thank God, I haven't hit the floor pastsed out cold from them.

Any help would be of great appreciation. I truly feel for those of you who are suffering from this. I wonder if this is perimenopause, how much longer is this going to last? 10 years? YIKES!

Best Regards,

Last edited by lalaflorida; 01-07-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
    loralei
    (female)

loralei HB User
    Re: Heart Palps - Perimenopause - And The Beat Goes On!

I'm 31, so probably not premenopausal. But I do get heart palpitations. They can be a symptom of many things, including thyroid problems(which I have). If you are not having chest pains, they are probably premature atrial or ventricular contractions. These are almost always not serious and many people get them. If you are concerned you could get an EKG or holter monitor to check the rythym.
    If that's what they are, your doctor will probably tell you to avoid stress, caffeine, and too much alcohol. There isn't much they do for them. I hope it doesn't last too long for you, I know it's a lousy feeling.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-09-2013 at 04:39 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to loralei For This Useful Post:
    lalaflorida (01-08-2013)
    Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
    lalaflorida
    (female)

lalaflorida HB User

Thanks so much for your reply. I will get my bloodwork done and I guess take it from there. The doctor did listen to my heart and said it might be anxiety. But as I explained before I advised him that these palps are extremeley different than the anxiety when my heart used to race.

I forgot to mention that I am on blood pressure meds (Atenolol). I used to take 25 mg a day. My blood pressure was doing well so my old doctor told me to take 1/2 a pill and thought I could possibly even one day ween off of them. Now after I moved here and went to this new doctor, he told me to up the Atenlol to 50 mg! Mind you my blood pressure and pulse were both fine at 12.5 mg.. Needless to say, it did nothing for the palps. Just made my blood pressure low. Sometimes the systolic would be in the double digits. I am talking 70/60!

These palps sure can be a nuisance! Nobody at work has a clue when my heart feels like it is taking a break from pumping. I don't panic but just wish that my ticker would just pump normal and I do find myself taking my pulse in my neck (when no one is looking so I don't look like a complete whacko..lol) I also get a weird feeling like if I belch it kicks it back into rhythm. Does anyone else get this feeling or am I losing my marbles?...lol

Thanks again for being so kind and taking time to answer.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
    loralei
    (female)

loralei HB User

I know what you mean. It feels like a strong butterfly in your chest. Anxiety can make it worse, but of course feeling your chest fluttering naturally CAUSES anxiety. Even though it feels like you are skipping a beat, you are not. These types of rhythms are actually your heart doing an extra contraction before a "beat". Not sure if that makes you feel any better. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/premature-ventricular-contractions/DS00949. You know why a belch makes it feel better? You are doing a valsalva maneuver. It can help slow the heart, as it effects the vagus nerve. I do it too when I'm having tachycardia, or a fast heartbeat.

If you are having extreme tachycardia, I think beta blockers might be an option. But I think they try to avoid those if possible. I would definitely talk to your doctor about options. It sounds like maybe the blood pressure medication does have something to do with it.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-09-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Closed Thread

Tags
    heart arrythmias, heart beating abnormally, palpatations, perimenopause, skipped beats