It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
    Purple7905
    (female)

Purple7905 HB User
    Question Scared

The doctor did a CT Scan for pelvic pain and bloating. The CT showed an ovarian cyst, a uterine fibroid and a nodule on my lung. That really scared me! She ordered an ultrasound to get a better look at the fibroid and cyst. I was called with the results the same day and they said they found a cyst on my ovary and a mass in my uterus near my cervix that could possibly be a fibroid but further testing is needed to see what it is. I am very scared. We have a very strong history of cancer in my family (both my mother and fathers side). I have 2 small children and am only 26. Is this cancer? What will they do for further testing? I am beside myself and really trying to just spend time with my kids and not think about it too much but it is really hard! I have made myself sick stressing out so much my whole body just aches and I just feel so bad! I don't know what to do! Sorry for the ramble!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Scared

Both fibroids and ovarian cysts are VERY common. Fibroids are benign growths. Granted, you're not sure that's what you have but the most common growths in the uterus are fibroids and polyps and both are benign except for VERY RARE cases.

Ovarian cysts are almost always benign too and usually go away on their own. The ultrasound report should tell you what type of cyst it is and its traits which tell a lot about whether or not it COULD BE malignant. If you have no family history of ovarian cancer, then your lifetime risk is less than 2%. Even suspicious looking ovarian cysts are almost always benign.

I had an ovarian cyst that looked somewhat suspicious on ultrasound. It was benign (on frozen section) but my gynecologist needlessly removed both my ovaries, my uterus, and my tubes anyway. I've been paying the price ever since.

BTW - I had cysts on my kidneys and liver but they didn't remove those organs! That's because cysts are usually nothing to be concerned about. Some people just tend to be "cyst makers." So maybe the "nodule" on your lung is a cyst. I don't know much about the lungs.

I was scared too (definitely more than necessary) and it clouded my judgment. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by STLouisgal; 04-11-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added comment about cysts on other organs and lung nodule

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
    Purple7905 (04-11-2013)
    Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
    Purple7905
    (female)

Purple7905 HB User

Well my gyn seems to think it's a fibroid. I have the ultrasound results in my hand at this moment and the radiologist put:

"Isoechoic mass lower uterine segment-cervix. Possibly etiologies include uterine fibroid, cervical neoplasm."

I am still pretty scared as we still do not know for sure what is going on. The cyst on my ovary actually got smaller from the time they did the CT scan to when they did the ultrasound so that's good! I have had cysts before but with the results of everything else I kinda freaked out. So we are trying a medicine to see if we can get my cycle back on track and I go back in a month. Like I said before we have a very strong family history of cervical cancer and so I don't know if I should get a 2nd opinion or if I should stick it out with my doctor.

As far as the nodule on my lung they did a repeat x-ray and sent the results of that and the CT scan to a pulmonologist and he seems to think it is normal inflammation and wants a repeat CT in 3-6 months.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Glad to hear the ovarian cyst is shrinking. A neoplasm is an abnormal growth but abnormal growths are often harmless (benign). Fibroids (and polyps) are two types of abnormal growths and are ALMOST ALWAYS benign.

Have you had a pap smear recently? That's the only way to check for abnormal cervical cells. And even then those abnormal cells may not require any treatment because harmless conditions (inflammation, infections) can cause an abnormal result. That's why guidelines recommend 1 or 2 repeat paps after an abnormal one. (I experienced this but my repeat was normal.) And most cases of abnormal cells are very treatable through removal of just those cells. Since you mentioned a family history of cervical cancer, did you have a pap recently? This growth may cause it to show up as abnormal which may require further testing (colposcopy).

It does seem somewhat odd that your doctor isn't sure if this is a fibroid. But maybe he hasn't seen a growth quite like this before. If you decide on a second opinion, you may want to see a gynecology oncologist.

Knowledge is power and harnesses the fear that comes with the unknown. So keep doing as you have been by making sure your doctor explains everything. It sounds like your doctor is on top of this but just may not have seen this particular type of growth before.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
    Purple7905
    (female)

Purple7905 HB User

UPDATE: I had a laporascopy and it was clear no signs of cancer, endometriosis or pelvic infection. Now my doc is thinking that its my bladder because the pain is starting to really just be in my bladder area. I have been having blood show up in every urine test that they have taken since my symptoms have started and they always send it to the lab and start me on an antibiotic and the test for infection is always negative. Going to a urologist in a couple weeks for further testing.
    Follow-up CT is next month for the nodule on my lung. Then they will talk with the pulmonologist again about that.
    Follow-up with GYN next month as well. They also think the pain could be related to the severe sciatica problems that I have had since my pregnancies. So there is talk about sending me to a neurologist to have injections in my back for the pinched nerve and disc problems that I have.
    UGH more DR's and I am tired of all of this. I wish I could just get myself together! I also have stress problems and that is a factor in all of this as well. Ok I am done for now! Sorry about being all over the place just trying to vent a little and update as well!

Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Good to hear that infection, endometriosis, and cancer have been ruled out. Since he thinks it may be your bladder, I wonder if it could be interstitial cystitis. I know a few women who had recurring pelvic pain that they assumed was caused by a gyn problem. One said it was especially bad after sex. It ended up being interstitial cystitis (IC). One even ended up having a hysterectomy as recommended by her gynecologist only to have the pain continue and later by diagnosed as IC.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
    Purple7905
    (female)

Purple7905 HB User

UPDATE: All tests have come back clear as far as my pelvic area is concerned. The urologist does not see anything wrong with my bladder or kidney's so they seem to think that it is just a ton of stress (which I have been under) causing all the problems! On a side note the nodule they found on my lung they did a repeat CT and said it looks suspicious so they are referring me to a pulmonologist for further evaluation on that! I am really scared but hoping for the best!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I hope you get an "all clear" on it too!

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
    Purple7905 (07-27-2013)
    Old 07-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
    Purple7905
    (female)

Purple7905 HB User

UPDATE: I am updating here so people can see the outcome of all my tests. Well I had a PET scan today and the dr called me with the results. My nodule lit up as well as some lymph nodes and an area in my pelvis. He wants to do some biopsies and then when I get the results from those we will come up with a treatment plan. Thanks for your support.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the update. I hope the biopsies come up negative! Are you still having pain and bloating?

Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
    Purple7905
    (female)

Purple7905 HB User

Yes still having pain and bloating. I am getting a 2nd opinion because the path report came back saying he cannot rule out carcinoma based on the samples he received and my dr says everything is fine and wants to just do a repeat CT in 3 months. Not happy with that at all I want a biopsy that will completely rule! Another appt today with my primary dr and I am gonna ask her to refer me to an oncologist because based on my pet results and the impression the radiologist said and the path report I want someone who knows cancer! I am probably freaking out and being overly upset but I don't want a dr to just wait and see if we need to do another biopsy to get better reassurance on what is actually going on.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seeing an oncologist is a good plan! Keep us posted. Hoping for good news.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cervical cancer, uterine cancer, uterine fibroid