It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Sex after LEEP Procedure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
    tiredofabpaps
    (female)

tiredofabpaps HB User
    Sex after LEEP Procedure

Hi,

I've have 2 LEEP procedures - my first a minor LEEP procedure with less than 2 centimeters taken from cervix due to moderate abnormal tissues about 5 years ago... Since then I've had a new partner and just recently I had an abnormal pap and showed moderate abnormal cells not on my cervix, but in my canal - stage 2. My dr told me this could have been from my previous strain, so I shouldn't jump to conclusions and believe my partner now gave it to me. My Dr. recommended that I have another LEEP procedure which I just had about 6 weeks ago. My question is, since I've been with my partner for almost 2 years and just recently underwent a 2nd LEEP for dyplasia not on my cervix, but in my canal and everything that was tested on those cells after my leep are now gone... do me and my partner have to use condoms? My dr told me that the virus doesn't bounce back and forth... once you have it you have it, BUT you can get another strain of HPV, say if he cheated on me or I have a new sex partner, etc.... So, I'm confused if she told me to use condoms to build my immune system up or use condoms forever because now the area that is no longer infected can get reinfected and I'd have to go through the entire process over again - which I think I will have a nervous break down if I have to because I want more kids. Please help... I really don't want to use condoms with my partner that I have been with for the past 2 years....

Last edited by tiredofabpaps; 07-30-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: make it make more sense

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Sex after LEEP Procedure

Did you talk to your doctor about this? It is VERY important not to infect the area which you had the procedure on so you dont reinfect......the fact that you want kids- I would assume you arent trying to get pregnant now?

I would be using condoms right up until I was ready to conceive...I wouldnt take the chance on infecting the area again,

N

Old 07-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Sex after LEEP Procedure

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiredofabpaps View Post
    My dr told me that the virus doesn't bounce back and forth...
    Actually, HPV can be transient (come and go) especially in younger women. HPV is very common and many types never lead to cancer. Types 16 and 18 are the most concerning and cause 70% of cervical cancers.

Abnormal pap smears can also be caused by rather harmless conditions (such as inflammation) so the general recommendation is to repeat the pap before doing any more diagnostics or treatment. And to only do paps every 3 years unless you have history indicating more frequent ones (as you have). They found that screening every year was causing women to be over-treated resulting in cases of infertility and pre-term labor. And abnormal cells, if they're even going to become cancerous, generally take many years to do so. So to maximize your chances for conception and full-term labor, you'll want to take every precaution - prevent re-infection and only have another LEEP if a future infection doesn't resolve on its own.

Last edited by STLouisgal; 07-31-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: added bracket on QUOTE so it displays correctly

Closed Thread

Tags
    cervix, condoms, hpv, leep, sex