It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• BV Experience

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
    Care4All
    (female)

Care4All HB User
    BV Experience

I just want to share my experience to see if I relate to anyone.

I'm 26 and was diagnosed with BV a year and some ago when I began having sex with a new partner. I've tried 5-night Metronidazole vaginal gel treatments and BV has returned over and over again, as determined by the return of the fishy odor and clumpy, white discharge 2days after sex with my partner. As much as I don't want to blame him, I DID make note over time that he does not shower or bathe much nor brush his teeth. In fact, he says he hasn't been to the dentist in years. Also, he sweats very easily during sex and according to biology, sweat only picks up bacteria from the skin.

Recently, I've been diagnosed with (1st stage?)periodontal disease and I fear that this may be in direct relation to BV because oral and vaginal sex go hand in hand in the bedroom. Hopefully, I can get both of these under control and share my success story.

What I'm saying is, I fear that our gynecologists are not discussing everything with us when it comes to possible causes of this "extra" bacteria. They try to be cordial and exclude the topics of sex practices in the exam room. I think we women have to take responsibility in keeping ourselves healthy but most importantly, explaining to our sex partners how important THEIR hygiene practices are as well. I've personally blamed myself many times for receiving sex from someone who does not practice good hygiene for days at a time.

Can anyone relate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    Re: BV Experience

I'm sure your issues are due to your boyfriends lack of proper hygiene....
    are you still with him? I sure wouldn't want to be having sex with a guy that didn't shower or brush his teeth......

Old 08-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
    Care4All
    (female)

Care4All HB User

Yes, I'm still with him. He's a great guy and it's hard to stay away sexually for more than 2 weeks (I tried it to see if I could improve my symptoms but I couldn't really tell).

Whenever he visits, I try to either avoid sex or encourage him to shower with me. Unfortunately, I can't control his habits everyday because we don't live together. So my best bet is to, once again, leave him alone for the sake of my own health.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I'm confused, you say it's best to leave him alone for your own health, but you're still with him, but trying not to have sex with him?
    your symptoms aren't going to go away just from abstaining from sex, you need a prescription from your doctor and he should probably be treated also or you will just get it again.......what about using condoms?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

the periodontal disease is probably from kissing a guy who won't brush his teeth......I would stop having sex with him and stop kissing him......actually what's the point of being with him? A guy who won't brush his teeth or shower is a huge turnoff for me.....

Old 08-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
    Care4All
    (female)

Care4All HB User

Correct. I attempted to leave him alone before but I am set to leave him alone for good. My prescription is already at hand as I was given a few refills.

For anyone who may not know, BV is also related to having a LOT of sex and WITH condoms!!! For this reason, my gynecologist even suggested I try using spermicide-free condoms with KY Jelly for lubrication vs spermicidal condoms. I haven't tried it though.

My periodontal disease is more of my own fault over time but I'm sure his hygiene didn't help the situation. I'm the type of mate who is willing to try to help one's hygienic practices before flat-out leaving just because...everyone is different.

Thanks for your input.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

i don't think it's related to having a LOT of sex, I think it's related to having sex with someone who has it......

Old 08-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
    Care4All
    (female)

Care4All HB User

Well, as with any infection or disease, the more exposure=higher prevalence..but I'm with you on thinking it's being transmitted.. from my experience, docs hardly ever suggest treatment for the male

Closed Thread

Tags
    bacterial vaginosis, metronidazole, periodontal disease, sweat