It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Uterine Polyp Removed and D&C Completed **Awaiting results and very nervous**

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
z1x2606
(female)

z1x2606 HB User
Uterine Polyp Removed and D&C Completed **Awaiting results and very nervous**

Hello.

I had a D&C and uterine polyp removed last Friday. I was having pretty heavy periods with clotting and the periods went on for 7-9 days. I had a vaginal ultrasound and they discovered that I had a poly (which I've never had before). My OBGYN suggested that I have a D&C to have the polyp removed plus the lining of uterus looked very thick. My ovaries appeared to be just fine in the ultrasound.

I've got major issues with anxiety; especially when it comes to my health. My husband took me to have the outpatient surgery last Friday and my doctor assured me that the chances of this being cancer were less than 1% (especially since I'm only 43 and haven't went through menopause yet). However, I've had some aches and pains in my left hip, pelvic bone, and upper thigh for the past few months as well. My doctor also assured me that this has nothing to do with the polyp.

Also, when completing the labs before my surgery in the hospital, they found that I was anemic and almost gave me some blood before the surgery. They assured me that it was probably due to my heavy periods but I'm now worrying that I'm maybe bleeding from somewhere else that would cause my iron to be so low.

However, when googling (yes, I'm a googler and it gets me in trouble)...I found many articles about how pain in the groin, pelvis, upper thigh and hip could be signs that it is indeed cancer and that it has probably spread outside my uterus. It also indicated that a thick lining of the uterus is another sign of cancer.

I took the pills for several years but had to stop taking them about 9 years ago as they thought I had a TIA due to the birth control patch. So...I'm no longer able to take any kind of Hormone Replacement Therapy (which also scares me as it makes your chances of getting cancer greater as well).

Am I freaking out for no reason or do I have reason to be concerned? Could my pelvic, thigh, hip, groin pain be cancer that has metasticized into my bone or lymph nodes?

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts or experience with this. I don't have my follow up appointment until Halloween and I am terrified that I'm going to get bad news.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Kszan
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Uterine Polyp Removed and D&C Completed **Awaiting results and very nervous**

Truly I don't think you should be worried at all. I don't know if you recall my posts to you before when you posted initially but I have had polyps removed 6 different times and none were cancerous over a 6 year period. The heavier periods were due to the polyps and that is what caused your anemia. The pelvic pain is also very typical of this because, as my gyne explained to me, your uterus knows there's a foreign object (the polyp) in there and it keeps contacting to try to expel it. That causes the pain, which also radiates down the legs and can also be felt in the lower back sometimes too.

If I hadn't gone through this exact thing multiple times myself, I wouldn't be speaking with such authority on it. You are going to be just fine and there is no reason at all for you to suspect cancer at your young age and pre-meno status. Trust me, I know about this stuff more than I ever would have wanted to and you'll see I'm right.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
z1x2606
(female)

z1x2606 HB User
Re: Uterine Polyp Removed and D&C Completed **Awaiting results and very nervous**

Hi Kszan. Yes, I remember your response to my last post and very much appreciate your insight. However, wouldn't the pelvic and thigh pain have went away after the surgery? I'm still having the pain (can't even really call it pain...it's more uncomfortable and isn't all the time).

My doctor said there was a very thick lining in my uterine when she done the D&C and that there were a couple of really thick places that she believes it was causing the bleeding to be so bad. She DID tell my husband though after the surgery that what she removed didn't look abnormal (which makes me feel a little better).

I just can't figure out why I'm having these pains (unless it's something totally different...such as arthritis, bursitis, fibromyalgia or something).

Thanks again for your insight.

Last edited by z1x2606; 10-24-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Kszan
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Pain in that area can be kind of non specific. Because anything hormonal can cause that kind of thing. I get random shooting pains in various places and I've never been given a formal diagnosis. What I can tell you is that I frequently have leg pain and thigh pain with my cramps. Like I said, it's all connected down there so things like cramps can cause referral pain or shooting pains down your legs if they are strong enough. I've had that kind of pain for so long, I guess I don't really think twice about it anymore. When I have any kind of shooting pain in the general area of my lady parts, I just roll my eyes now because it's like, Ok, whatever!

I still think you're fine and don't have to worry.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kszan:
z1x2606 (10-25-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
z1x2606
(female)

z1x2606 HB User

Kszan,
I wanted to follow up with you to let you know that I had my follow-up appointment today and everything came back negative on my polyp. There were no cancerous cells found and I don't have to be seen again until next year. :-) Thanks so much for all of your help. It is very much appreciated.

Closed Thread

Tags
anemia, d&c, pelvic pain, polyp, thigh pain