It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• LSIL with colposcopy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
    Sambo19
    (female)

Sambo19 HB User
    Unhappy LSIL with colposcopy

I've never posted to any boards about anything but I am having a very hard time with this and I thought maybe it would be good to talk to other women who may know what I'm going through. I'm 25 years old and I just had m first abnormal pap on October 2nd. The said it was LSIL and had me come in for a colpo with possible biopsy. When I went in on October 23rd I was found to have mild changes with a small areas that were slightly more moderate changes. My ob took two biopsies at 4 and 11 (she said to think of my cervix as a clock). She tried to describe what they are looking for when the vinegar solution is applied and she explained that cancerous and even pre cancerous tend to look like "snow drifts" which she did not see. I will have to wait up to 2 weeks for the pathology report and the wait is killing me. I'm scared it could be pre cancerous or cancer and I'm even more scared of losing my ability to have children. I'm getting married in March and we plan on trying for babies soon after. If someone can please help alleviate some fears I would greatly appreciate it.

Took samples for hpv test as well during colpo.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: LSIL with colposcopy

Please don't let fear take over! I did (for a different gyn problem) and ended up being over-treated and permanently harmed. As health care consumers and the ones who will suffer the consequences of any treatment (or lack thereof), we have to do our homework to understand the diagnosis and treatment options.

Abnormal paps (and LSIL) can be caused by conditions that are harmless such as inflammation or infections. MOST cases of LSIL regress back to normal without any treatment. As a result, the pap smear guidelines call for repeating an abnormal pap (I think they say repeat in 6 months or so) before further diagnostics or treatment. And women who've had normal paps only need to get them every 3 years. By doing paps every year, too many women were undergoing treatment that wasn't necessary since the abnormalities usually revert to normal on their own.

HPV is extremely common so if your test comes back positive for HPV, that's not unusual. And HPV can come and go just like inflammation and other infections. It is also the leading cause of abnormal paps. There are many types of HPV but two types (16 and 18) are the highest risk and responsible for most cases of cervical cancer.

Of course, you don't want to unnecessarily undergo any treatment. But some cervical treatments reduce fertility and cause an incompetent cervix hence preterm labor.

So read up and then if you feel your current provider isn't "up to snuff" you can always switch. Having been with my ob/gyn for 20 years, I trusted him too much and that was my downfall.

Let us know what you find out from the colpo and HPV testing. Hope you fall into the majority of no treatment needed!

Closed Thread

Tags
    abnormal pap smear, cervical dysplasia, cervix, colposcopy, lsil