It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Cannot get rid of urge to urinate!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
    honeyfingers
    (female)

honeyfingers HB User
    Unhappy Cannot get rid of urge to urinate!!!

I had sex with a new partner about a week and a half ago. I had not had any type of sex for over a year before that. I'm pretty sure I forgot to urinate after sex and I got a uti of course. I have had a few uti's in the past which usually cleared up in about three day with antibiotics.

But not this one. I went into an urgent care clinic last Wednesday because although I did not really have any burning or pain, I had frequent urination and could never seem to empty my bladder fully. They tested my urine sample and didn't find anything initially except for traces of blood so they said they would send it out for a culture and then let me know. I got bactrim for three days.

The next day Thursday they called and said that I did have a bladder infection and Asked if the meds were helping. I told them the bactrim wasn't helping and they said to lighten up on the water and call back the next day if nothing had changed.

I called back Friday saying I still had problems with frequent urination and could not ever fully empty my bladder. They gave me a 5 day prescription of amoxicillin.

By Saturday symptoms were somewhat better but now I think I have a yeast infection from the antibiotics.

I went into my regular clinic and saw a new GP yesterday. I gave a new urine sample and they took swabs from my vagina. He showed me the results from my first urine culture from the urgent care and said something how the infection wasn't caused by the typical e coli but something else and they didn't know what??? It was confusing. Also noticed I had had cipro for the last uti I had back in 2009.

I was given 1 pill of diflucan for the yeast infection. They are going to test for stds like chlamydia and gonorrhea, as well as bacterial vaginitis and that kind of stuff. Pretty sure it is not an std since I haven't been sexually active in a year except for this last partner (he says he is clean) and the discharge does not smell. They also took a blood sample to test sugar levels, diabetes, etc.

HOWEVER - my urine sample yesterday they said looked fine and didn't test negative for anything!!!! I think he said they were not going to send it out for a culture because it looked ok. BUT I'm on my last day of amoxicillin and I'm still having problems with the "urge to urinate" - it has gotten a lot better but after I go my bladder still does not feel totally relieved.

I'm getting super paranoid and worried that something is wrong. They would not give me any other antibiotics for the urination problem but said I might have to see a urologist if I continue to have problems. I have also started taking probiotics and organic cranberry pills twice a day, as well as taking cystex pills and cystex cranberry drink (has vitamin c and d-mannose in it) as of yesterday in hopes of helping.

I have bad depression and anxiety and those things are making everything worse. I'm also SUPER scared to have sex again because I might get another uti or make my current problems worse. I kind of want to ask for cipro antibiotic again because they cleared things up in the past but I don't think they will give it to me.

Where do I go next? Any advice??? Again, some itching and irritation but only from the yeast infection which should clear up - not worried about that. I'm tired of feeling like I have to pee all the time. It is so uncomfortable and all I want to do is stay in bed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
    Re: Cannot get rid of urge to urinate!!!

What has worked for me in the past is to drink lots and lots of water. This makes the urine less irritating to the bladder which may still be inflamed. Cranberry juice is good for this too. Cheers, Sera

Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
    honeyfingers
    (female)

honeyfingers HB User

Thanks for the reply. I have been drinking a lot of water and taking cranberry supplements. However, even though I am drinking extra fluids I still can never empty my bladder fully. This is really the problem.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Give it some more time. This only started a week and a half ago. Your bladder may still be irritated. Keep up with the water and cystex (both d-mannose and cranberry are supposed to be good for UTI's). Cipro can cause some long-term side effects and of course this risk likely increases the more you take it so you don't want to take it unnecessarily (true for any antibiotic for that matter). Hope this clears up soon!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
    honeyfingers
    (female)

honeyfingers HB User

Thanks. It just concerns me because I've gotten rid of uti's in the past very easily in about three days. This one seems so different. The doctor I saw yesterday actually told me to drink less water to see if urination frequency lessened. My life has been kind of hell since this happened.

The following user gives a hug of support to honeyfingers:
    ghotra (03-05-2014)
    Old 03-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
    tara24
    (female)

tara24 HB Usertara24 HB User

hi, I just saw your post, and had exactly the same problem as you from November 2012 until 5 weeks ago. I kept getting symptoms of uti's but urine tests never showed signs of infection, so had cystoscopy (bladder camera) and all clear. I researched the internet for answers and discovered eating pumpkin seeds a possible answer for bladder problems. Type in health benefits of pumpkin seeds' or 'pumpkin seeds and bladder problems' and you will see what I mean.

I eat multiseed bread every day that has pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, plus a few more. The bread I eat is Hovis Seed Sensations. Within a week of eating it my symptoms just stopped, as mysteriously as they arrived. I had been on antibiotics on and off but the problem always returned. I feel normal again and thought the bladder urgency would be with me forever. I would say to you to give it a try as you have nothing to lose-good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to tara24 For This Useful Post:
    honeyfingers (03-04-2014)
    Old 03-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
    honeyfingers
    (female)

honeyfingers HB User

Thank you so much!!! I will give this a try. Where did you get your bread from??

Old 03-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
    honeyfingers
    (female)

honeyfingers HB User

Also, could I try just eating pumpking seeds? Like just buy a bag from a natural foods store? Otherwise I was reading that some people take pumpkin supplements or pumpkin seed oil. Are any of those worth a try??

Thank you SO much for the idea!! I am desperate.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
    golfhat
    Veteran
    (female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

Yes, drink a lot of water! this will flush out the kidneys and the spasms will diminish.
    My sisters has a ton of Uti and I have them frequently too.

But her doctor told it may feel like a bladder infection and be inflammation due to dehydration.

So drink.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
    golfhat
    Veteran
    (female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

It is possible that the bacteria inhabiting the bladder all the time hates the pumpkin seeds or in disables it somehow.

Also, I read that true cranberry juice which should be taken in capsule form, makes the inside of the bladder "slick" and the bacteria cannot get a good foothold, to coin a phrase.

Drinking cranberry juice from the grocery is not good enough because it is not concentrated enough. All health food stores or the organic dept of a grocery has the capsules.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #11
    tara24
    (female)

Hi honeyfingers -I get my bread at any large supermarket and the brand is called 'Hovis Seed Sensations' but I'm sure any bread with pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds will be as good. I tried eating the seeds that you can buy in bags from the healthfood store or the supermarket, but I have sensitive wisdom teeth so stopped eating them that way. You can soak them for a few hours in cold water to soften them up. You can also buy pumpkin seed oil capsules from a supermarket or pharmacy or look for them online.

I think eating the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in the bread have made the difference, as sunflower seeds have powerful anti oxidants in them. I have read that cranberry in any form is possibly a big irritant to an already inflamed bladder, so I would stay clear of that for a while. Also don't eat any foods with a lot of red food dye in them for a while or drink coffee.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
    honeyfingers
    (female)

honeyfingers HB User

I have been taking organic cranberry pills for a few days now, along with a probiotic supplement - each both twice a day. I finished my last day of antibiotics today as well.

I was feeling ok, almost kind of normal earlier. Then I had a small panic attack and all went downhill. I'm paranoid to drink anything but I am thirsty.

I am taking 2 tablespoons a day of Cystex Liquid Cranberry - it has D-Mannose and Vitamin C in it.

I am worried however, because the bacteria in my urine orignally found the doctor said wasn't the "typical e-coli" - is this going to cause a problem when trying these other methods????

Old 03-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
    honeyfingers
    (female)

honeyfingers HB User

Hi Tara24 -

I am going to try the pumpkin seed thing. I have a Whole Foods near me and I am sure that will have several options available for me to try.

I have been taking 2 tablespoons a day of Cystex Cranberry Liquid which contains D-mannose which I heard can be helpful for bladder infections. I may consider just getting the d-mannose powder itself though.

What worries me though, is that my doctor told me the strain in my urine wasn't the typical e-coli. So does that mean none of these methods are going to work for me???

I'm also have panic attacks and severe anxiety thinking that I am going to have this urine urgency problem forever.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #14
    tara24
    (female)

The day I started eating my bread, I also tried a large teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a small mug of cold water and drank it all, as some people use this for cystitis. I was so desperate and willing to try it, so you could give that a try. Someone told me about D-Mannose too. Do you live in England? I still don't know why I had these bladder symptoms but no signs of infection, and you need to ask your doctor to give you more information.

The pumpkin seeds have an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial compound in them, and something else in them builds and thickens bladder tissue and also stops bladder spasms. The list of health benefits is interesting, so read all about them too. Don't get too anxious as getting tense could make you worse. Eat as many seeds as you want as the more the better. I eat two slices of the bread every day without fail-give at least a week for everything to start working. Also try drinking more milk as its supposed to have a soothing effect on the bladder.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #15
    honeyfingers
    (female)

honeyfingers HB User

Hi Tara,

No, I do not live in England. I live in the States. I went to Whole Foods today (natural grocery store) and got some pumpkin seed oil supplements. They also had some bread very similar to your bread that contained pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds but I did not have enough money for both so I just picked up the supplements today. I will go and get the bread on Friday which is pay day.

I'm hoping the Pumpkin will really help! I can't do the milk thing unfortunatly, because I really really hate milk and have not drank it since I was a small child.

But I am still going to take my probiotics and cranberry supplements and now pumpkin supplements. I did read all about pumpkin and how it is good for the bladder, and even skin! I'm having problems with dry skin on my arms and knuckles so maybe that will help a bit as well.

I was going to pick up some D-Mannose powder as well but it was a bit too expensive for me at this time.

I am still waiting for results from my urine culture and vagina swabs and blood test to come back. I did already hear that I tested negative for STD's (chlymidia and gonorrhea) but I was 99.9% sure of that anyways.

As for anxiety - I've been reading a lot of interesting articles that discuss the impact anxiety can have on the bladder. I did make an appointment to see a psychiatrist in a few weeks so perhaps that will help as well.

Thanks so much for all the advice/help so far - you are keeping me hopeful that I can feel normal again!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
    antibiotics, bladder problems, sex, urgency to urinate, urinary tract infection