It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• hemorrhagic cyst - awaiting surgery and in extreme pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
    Katedot
    (female)

Katedot HB User
    hemorrhagic cyst - awaiting surgery and in extreme pain

Hi Everyone, this is my first post. Back in September I was diagnosed with a hemorrhagic cyst after going to the ER with severe pelvic pain. At the time is was 4x6cm and just caused the occassional sharp pelvic pain that lasted less than 30 sec. I got in to see a gynecologist in december and she said we would do a repeat ultrasound in march and see if it had gone away with birth control/if it was a functional cyst. On Tuesday (Feb 25th) I presented in emerg with severe left lower quadrant pain that then radiated to mid-pelvic. I was give 1L fluid bolus, dilaudid, ondansetron, gravol and tordol and got a external and transvaginal ultra sound. They found that the cyst had grown to be 9cmx8cm. For about a month prior I had been experiencing extreme bouts of nausea.

I got in to see my gynecologist the next day and I was feeling a bit better (probably all the IV dilaudid) she said I needed to get surgery and they would try to do it laproscopically but that they might need to do a laparotomy due to its size/if its attached to surrounding structures. She said she would get me in as soon as possible. She prescribed me tramacet and ondansetron. Yesterday I called her office. I have been in EXTREME pain for the last 4 days. The secretary said she would tell the doctor my symptoms and get back to me. No one called me back yesterday. Today I was hysterical. I felt like they forgot about me. I feel like I am a pretty stoic person. I run marathons and have broken many bones and feel I have a high pain tolerance. But this is unbearable. Takes my breath away. I cant get out of bed. I cant drive. I got called into work this morning and I lasted 2 hours before I was nearly vomiting from the pain. I went to occupational health and they said I may need to be off until the surgery if I require narcotics.

Finally the secretary called back and said the gyne was faxing a script for percocet to my pharmacy. I told her I need to make an appointment. That my condition has changed and she was unbelievable. She didnt even address that and told me to call her if I decided to go to the ER. I had an appointment with my family doc today anyways so I went and saw him. He filled out the documentation for me to be off until I get the surgery and also prescribed percocet.

I asked him to call the gyne and he was able to get me an appointment with her tomorrow. Guys, I need your help. I need this surgery to be sooner. I cannot live taking percocet every 4 hours for the next month until my surgery date. Is there anything I can say to her? I also have epilepsy and this pain is causing me not to sleep and making me not want to eat and I am concerned that my otherwise well controlled seizures will start again and I will lose my license again. Please help <3

Last edited by Administrator; 03-05-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User
    Re: hemorrhagic cyst - awaiting surgery and in extreme pain

Hey there,

I just now read your post. I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier. Are you okay? Please post if you can. I pray that you got the help you need. It's hard to believe that you could not be HEARD =(

Last edited by Administrator; 03-05-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
    Katedot
    (female)

Katedot HB User

Thankk you so much for your reply. I got into my gynecologist today and she put me on the board for emergency surgery for a possible torsion. So I will either be called into the hospital tonight or tomorrow morning. I am very relieved and cannot wait for this to all be over.

The following user gives a hug of support to Katedot:
    WhistleDixie (03-06-2014)
    Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

Thank God you're okay...still in pain, I know...but "alive" and healthy enough to undergo surgery. I'm here tonight if you want to talk to me. Don't hesitate=)

Old 03-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Ovarian torsion can be excruciating. Sorry you are suffering but good you are "scheduled" for surgery any time now (or may have already had it). Hope they can save the ovary but, if not, that all else is fine. Post back and let us know how you are doing.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
    OrangeAugust
    (female)

OrangeAugust HB User

I can relate. About 9 years ago I woke up in the morning with severe sharp pain on the left side of my abdomen that would spread across my lower abdomen with very bad cramping when I moved. I thought I had a weird stomach bug or something but the pain was so bad I pretty much couldn't move, and I was also getting referred pain traveling up my side. That was a Friday and when it wasn't any better on Saturday I called the on-call doctor because the pain got severe after I took a shower and had was standing upright for 20 minutes. and he thought it was diverticulitis. I was in very bad pain for the rest of the weekend and called my doctor on Monday morning but they couldn't fit me in so she told me to go to the ER. To make a long story short, after an MRI they concluded that I had a large cyst about the size of a grapefruit on my left ovary. I saw a gyno the next day and she said she would be on vacation so she couldn't do the surgery for like 2 weeks. I was just like, "Uh, I've been in extreme pain for 4 days. I'm not going to wait that long to have surgery" Plus, my fall semester was starting in just over a week. So I had set up an appointment with another doctor who was able to do it that Friday (still 4 days away). So for the next 4 days I was in a lot of pain and basically couldn't do anything but lay on the couch.
    When I had the surgery it turned out that I'd had ovarian torsion and that my ovary had actually twisted around itself twice. So the first time it twisted was the morning I woke up with the pain and I think the second time was the next day in the shower when the pain got so bad I was crying.
    Anyway, I know just how you feel I hope you can get the surgery ASAP and that you will be relieved of this.

Oh, and btw they were able to save my ovary so I still have it.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cyst, dilaudid, percocet, surgery