It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Diet for Ovarian Cysts?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
    snickersismypup
    (female)

snickersismypup HB User
    Diet for Ovarian Cysts?

Hello! I am new to these boards, but was hoping that perhaps someone could point me in the right direction. I have been suffering from an ovarian cyst for about 7 months now. I am being monitored by my OBGYN with ultrasounds and am on prescription birth control to try to shrink it. I am not having any luck with the birth control and am now on a stronger pill to try to shrink it. I was wondering if anyone knows of any specific diets/foods to avoid/vitamins to increase that may help with getting rid of this thing and preventing future ones. Thank you so much for your time and help!

The following user gives a hug of support to snickersismypup:
    Fairyfizz (03-21-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2014, 03:28 AM   #2
    Fairyfizz
    (female)

Fairyfizz HB User
    Re: Diet for Ovarian Cysts?

Food has been linked for a long time now to causing hormonal imbalances with all the rubbish added to it and the packaging it comes in.
    The following foods have been suspected to cause increased levels of estrogen and other hormone imbalance in your body:

All animal-based foods: meats and dairy products
    All processed foods: white flour products, fast foods, foods containing preservatives, colorants, sugary foods, fatty foods.
    Caffeine, tea, alcohol, sugar.

To go down the diet improvement road for your cysts requires a lot of damned hard work, commitment and patience. People cannot expect to have a hallelujah i am cured within a short time of changing their diet. It takes time and will power.

Try to cut out processed food and go natural as much as possible, get back to nature and start home cooking and making your own foods. That includes cutting out bad artificial sweetners, additives, preservatives and nasty food colourants.

Cut down on red meat, if you can eliminate it then hooray. Go for white meats such as chicken, start to develop an intense love affair with fish. The oilier the better, salmon, mackarel etc... Fish is so good for you.

Try and switch to a plant based diet, no trust me it's not as boring as it sounds, veggies can be fun, just think how much fun you can have making faces on your plate with them. When you have a meal and if you really cannot bear life without a steak or red meat then make sure you only have a small portion and that most of your plate, two thirds, is filled with vegetables. Plenty of raw and cooked vegetables. Plenty of colour so lots of varieties and include legumes, nuts, seeds and whole grains and they will add texture and variety.

Avocados get a bad press but trust me, the essential fat in them is so good for you that your body will be shouting out in joy. Ok, maybe getting carried away there but they are really nutritious and the point here is to eat lots of healthy fats, include oils like olive oil and ones with essential fatty acids – flaxseed oil or hemp seed oil, and focus really hard on foods that are high in antioxidants that i mentioned, vegetables, greens, fruits, raw nuts, raw sees, whole grains and legumes – as they can help your body.

Reduce or eliminate your intake of dairy products, eggs, red meat, sugar, white flour, refined foods as mentioned, caffeine, chocolate, and all “bad” fats, as all these foods can increase estrogen levels and put your body out of balance. Yes I know, the thought of life without chocolate. I will give you a hug in a minute.

Another tip is to avoid storing foods in plastic containers, as this has been show to increase estrogen in the body all them nasty chemicals in plastic.

If I think of anything else I will come back and post.

Last edited by Fairyfizz; 03-21-2014 at 03:30 AM.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
    k742
    (female)

k742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB User
    Re: Diet for Ovarian Cysts?

Hi! Sorry you have to deal with a pesky ovarian cyst. I'm right there with you...bilateral cysts, one chocolate on my left ovary...it's about the size of a large grape, according to the last U/S I had. Who knew something so little could cause so much pain and discomfort!?!?

In addition to dietary changes, I've read that many women have had luck trying castor oil packs - you soak a cotton or flannel cloth in castor oil, apply it to the skin over your cyst, cover it with something so you don't get the oil all over your clothes/bedding/etc....then top it with a hot water bottle or heating pad. Some women will add a couple drops of lavendar essential oils to the towel as well just to make it more of a relaxing experience.

Some woman feel some cramping when doing this - others really enjoy the experience as it forces them to just relax. Castor oil does have a laxative effect, so be warned of that. I've not experienced that the few times I've tried the packs, but just putting it out there.

If you search "castor oil packs for ovarian cysts" you should find plenty of information on them. May not hurt to give it a try - it certainly can't cause any more harm than taking BCPs!

Hope that helps

Closed Thread

Tags
    birth control, cyst, diet, ovarian cyst