It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Yeast, cytolytic vaginosis, group b strep? I'm out of ideas!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
hone
(female)

hone HB User
Yeast, cytolytic vaginosis, group b strep? I'm out of ideas!

I'm a 23 year old woman and for about 4 and a half years I've been dealing with what I thought were recurring yeast infections, beginning after using a condom with spermicide on it. The symptoms have come and gone and at this point it's difficult to remember what it was like at different times, but it's been a loooong time since I felt normal. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope… I'm so sick of this and I just want to feel normal again. I apologize in advance for how long-winded I can be.

I had all the traditional yeast infection symptoms (itching, burning, impossible intercourse, and then some of the yucky discharge). I didn't have insurance for ages so until last November I never saw a doctor, but opted to treat myself with primarily apple cider vinegar (douching and occasionally sitz baths), which worked pretty well for about three years. It'd seem to cure it right up after a few days, and then it'd come back again in a few weeks. I've tried other natural treatments but the ACV worked best for me.

About a year ago the ACV seemed to have pretty much stopped working.
ALSO for the last year it's been less discharge/itchiness, and more just plain uncomfortable. I've just felt OFF. I started to feel VERY dry all the time, so much so that my partner of six years and I have gone months without having penetrative sex because I can't get/stay very wet. It just HURTS to have him inside of me- it feels like the opening of my vagina never gets wet enough and it feels VERY irritated and raw right around the entrance, mainly on either side of my urethra...right where the skin rubs against the bone. I also don't have the normal discharge I had when I was healthy anymore. My vagina just feels OFF all the time… I'm sure you all can relate. I have wondered if somehow using the apple cider vinegar very frequently for years messed up my pH, making me too acidic... which has led me into a lot of research on cytolytic vaginosis.

When I finally saw a gynecologist last November I was tested for BV, yeast, trich, chlamydia, gonorrhea, and HIV. ALL negative. She gave me 5 day metro gel because she thought it might be bacterial after all (don't know why) and it did absolutely nothing.
Around the same time, I had my hormones, thyroid and vitamins checked, and they did a diabetes test. Everything came back normal (except I had lyme disease, for which I took doxycycline... which triggered a nasty yeast infection though I can't remember what I did to get rid of it...). HOWEVER, a month ago I decided to pick up a copy of my blood work just to have for my own peace of mind and it turns out my urine test came up positive for Group B Strep... which no one told me about and I don't understand why because after doing LOTS of reading it sounds like that could even be a cause for this whole problem!

But back before I got that information... Until this year I never even tried the OTC yeast infection treatments. but January of this year I did 7 day monistat, it definitely relieved my external itchiness and discomfort, but I still didn't feel totally normal. About 4 days after finishing the treatment I had 2 days of feeling 100%; I felt like I had healthy discharge again and was feeling really good, but after 2 days it went right back to how it's been.

In March I decided to start easing my way into the anti-candida diet. I'm a vegetarian (have been for 8 years) so this has been REALLY tough for me, eating nothing but vegetables. I've started eating fish in order to feel full. I also take echinacea, zinc, garlic pills, milk thistle, and drink a lot of liver detox tea. I took probiotics for awhile (I have tried many different ones throughout this whole ordeal) but they seem like they're a scam… never made a difference for me. I tried oil of oregano for a week or so…didn't seem to help me.
None of this seems to have helped at all EXCEPT: I started drinking kefir on the daily, and for the first two or so weeks I felt an almost IMMEDIATE difference in how wet my vagina feels after drinking it… which makes me think maybe it's not CV but I don't know. (Any ideas?)

End of March: I did two back-to-back rounds of the 3-day monistat, then got my period a couple days later. A few days after my period ended, I had 4 days where I felt 100% again! When I started feeling crappy again, I put some garlic up there (which worked a few times for me in the past) and when that didn't help, I was absolutely furious and called up my gynecologist INSISTING she prescribe me diflucan… she gave me a prescription for 2 doses, taken 3 days apart. I started another round of 7-day monistat WHILE taking the diflucan, but it seemed to be irritating it further so I stopped the monistat after two days. The day after taking the second dose of diflucan, I was furious that it and the crazy diet weren't working and ate desserts for the first time in ages. The next day my vagina was out of control… so much clumpy white discharge and itching… I made an appt with a new gynecologist that day and saw her later that week. By that time my vagina calmed down a lot and was basically back to how it normally is (uncomfortable, dry-ish, with a somewhat thin, milky discharge). She thought it probably was yeast, and gave me boric acid suppositories to use every night for 2 weeks and then twice a week after that and sent out swabs to test for different strains of candida (and for bv)… of course these ended up coming back negative… why wouldn't they!

I'm currently on the day 3 of boric acid. The first day I felt marginally better, but the last two days I've been feeling really crappy. I'm really itchy right now and I just feel that awful raw, burning discomfort. I can't tell what's discharge and what's just the boric acid coming out of me… but I'm not feeling good.

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading. I know there are a lot of great women on this forum; I've read lots of threads with lots of great ideas and I'm hoping someone has some theories as to what could be going on with me...
Could it STILL be yeast, after two tests and tons of yeast-specific treatments?
Is it group b strep?
(I haven't had any urinary tract symptoms...)
Could it be CV?
Something else altogether?
ANY suggestions are welcomed
, I just want to get this solved and put an END to it!! I want to feel normal again! I want to have a normal, happy sex life again! I want to stop spending money on doctors and supplements and treatments that don't work! AGH!

Last edited by hone; 05-19-2014 at 12:03 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to hone:
solofelix (05-19-2014)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Yeast, cytolytic vaginosis, group b strep? I'm out of ideas!

Hi,

If I was you I would stop using so many different things in your Vagina.
Garlic and ACV are not things I would recommend. Down there needs a break to get back to some sort of normality.
I don't know if you can buy "Replens" where you live. It is a totally natural lubricant which you insert to keep the Vagina moist, dryness will cause awful irritation.
Are you still receiving treatment from your Dr, I wish you well as you have really had a time of it,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
hone (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
hone
(female)

hone HB User

Thank you for your reply. I've tried the leaving it alone route in hopes that it would balance out on its own (I spent most of 2013 not treating) but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I'm going to give the boric acid treatment a few more days (my dr said that it is often the best treatment) and if I'm still not feeling better, I'll look into Replens or something similar.

I had to cancel my health insurance recently (too expensive), so I'm not going to be able to see my doctor for awhile; hoping I'll figure something out on my own in the meantime!

Old 05-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #4
Goosewoman
(female)

Goosewoman HB User

So sorry you are having so much trouble. It sounds like you have tried a lot of things. One thing you might benefit from is Femdophilus. It will work to re-balance the ph of your vagina. The ACV has made it pretty acidic. I don't think it's CV.. that occurs when you have a lactobacillus overgrowth, so unless you have been putting a ton of probiotics up there, I doubt it could be that. The Metrogel kills off all the good bacteria and it needs to be replaced. Femdophilus can do that but it takes a while. It has to be refrigerated, so I get mine from Whole Foods. There are a few places on the internet that ship it in an ice pack. I would investigate the Strep B angle but I would imagine you need a specific antibiotic to treat it and maybe your partner needs to be treated also? It's horrible not to have insurance. I was afraid to use Boric Acid but have heard good things about it. Hopefully it will work for you. Please keep us posted and try the probiotics. Somehow you need to re-balance the vaginal flora..

Old 05-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
hone
(female)

hone HB User

Thank you, I'll hit up Whole Foods this week and grab some! I haven't had much luck with other brands of probiotics so hopefully this will be different. I've read different things on the strep...some people say that antibiotics cured them, some people got nothing from em and had to go a different, self-treating route...some people said their partners needed treatment, some say that isn't necessary.. So much conflicting information!!
I've been doing the boric acid every night for... I think 12 days at this point. I would say it's helped, actually, but I'm not 100% yet and I'm not sure it's going to get me there. We'll see. I've also started taking oil of oregano which I think might be helping too, believe it or not; I even experienced what I believe was a few days of the elusive "die off." And I have pau d'arco coming to me in the mail, so I'm going to switch to that in a few days.
Thank you for your response and advice. I'll keep you updated on what I'm trying and how it goes!

Old 05-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
bittybye
(female)

bittybye HB User

This might by a silly but do you use pads or tampons? If you are using pads and you're using Always, Kotex, ect you might simply be allergic to the the plastic they use.

I was having a lot of problems but I switched to homemade cloth pads and I felt so much better. Not to mention in the long run they are much cheaper and better for the environment.
It too a lot longer to figure out that I was wiping too much and too hard after I peed too, then my urine would irradiate the skin causing burning, and then when it would heal a little some itching.

Another thing; do you masturbate? I know if you're not wet enough or use enough lube it can cause a lot of irradiation.

I hope you figure out what is going on.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
hone
(female)

hone HB User

That is something that's been on my mind a LOT lately, actually. I use tampons (OB brand) and while I don't think my problems are caused by them, I'm beginning to think they've exacerbated them (mainly because they totally dry me out, especially around the opening of my vagina). I've considered switching to pads (at least they won't dry me out) but god, I just can't stand the feeling of em. I've been wanting to give menstrual cups a try, at the very least, but I JUST got my period and hadn't had the chance to order one in time. I have my reservations about trying to put anything into my vagina these days anyway. What do you use for the cloth pads?

I don't really masturbate much at all; the person I'm in a relationship with pretty much takes care of all my needs in that department. All these issues have definitely put a damper on our sex life, but we do what we can. For the last few months we've been trying to make absolutely sure not to do anything without me being properly lubricated.

Last edited by hone; 06-04-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
hone
(female)

hone HB User

Just wanted to post a quick general update on what I've been doing and how things are going:

I used boric acid (in combination with nystatin cream for the outside) every night for two weeks and definitely saw a lot of improvement. It took a few days to really start working (I believe the yeast was hiding inside the tissue and the boric acid had to bring it up. That's how it seemed anyway; for a few days I had a big mess of the clumpy, gross discharge, which I don't normally have, and a ton of itching) but after that things started getting better little by little. I don't feel dry or itchy and I have a lot more healthy discharge.
I'm still doing the candida diet (but starting to reintroduce carbs a LITTLE), also been taking oil of oregano and pau d'arco tea (switching back and forth between the two) as well as milk thistle, echinacea and zinc.
I finished the two weeks of boric acid a little less than a week ago and since then I have actually been able to have great, pain-free sex (with a penis inside of me!) a few times! Very exciting. I'm going to be continuing the boric acid twice a week for the next two months just to help keep things in check, as per my gyno's suggestion. I currently have my period and I'm worried that using tampons are going to screw up my balance again, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Last edited by hone; 06-04-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
Jl925
Inactive
(male)

Jl925 HB User

1. Stop self medicating;
2. Take a high quality probiotic designed for vaginal health (50 billion min)
3. Vaginal dryness is associated with estrogen deficiency. You weren't designed to eat vegetables. The bulk of your diet should come from high quality fats and protein. These are essential for maintaining a proper hormone balance.
4. It's likely you have candida in your digestive system as well that continues to inoculate your vagina with yeast. Yeast love sugar. Without it they don't do well. Follow a strict Paleolithic Diet (Loren Cordain's version).

I know all of this is painful. There really is no easy way to treat this problem other than to be very, very disciplined. The good news is that if you can manage to eat animal products you will feel better, look better and have a much higher quality of life.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
bittybye
(female)

bittybye HB User

Sorry it took so long to respond.
I have 2 kinds of pads I make both are very smiler with each I use 2 layers of 100% cotton flannelette then between them I use zorb, a material made to be very absorbent. And here's where I make the 2 kinds with one kind it's a self contained pad with the waterproof layer; either ProCare or PUL.

With the other pad I make a "base" that had the flannelette and only the layer of waterproof fabric, then some left over to make a strap around the top and the bottom to hold in the insert part, which is the 2 layers of flannelette with the zorb in the middle. (look up Luna Pads, where I got the idea from)

If you're even remotely good at sewing it's a breeze to make them, if not go to Etsy and you can order some that are totally handmade.

I love them and wouldn't go back to Always even if it wasn't for my allergy. Just be sure to let them dry totally which can be a bother due to thickness.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
Goosewoman
(female)

Goosewoman HB User

I got Glad Rags pantyliners. They also make regular pads. I'm post meno and very dry. The normal pantyliners dry me out really badly. Glad Rags are soft and can be thrown in the wash.
On Boric Acid.. Did it burn or sting a lot? I'm starting to get desperate. I've taken 1 100mg Fluconazole a day for 4 days and had a bad reaction to them. Still seeing a little yeast so obvious;y, it didn't help. I'm ready to try the Boric acid. Just haven't got up the nerve.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:06 AM   #12
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,

If you are post meno and suffering dryness try "Vagifem".
I cant recommend it enough.
I had dreadful dryness and itching like mad and splits in the surrounding skin. It was like a horror movie down there.
My Dr recommended "Vagifem" and in two months I was completely cured, no problem since and no side-effects either. I have been using it for almost three years,

Solofelix.

PS. This is not for yeast treatment...

Old 06-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
hone
(female)

hone HB User

Jl925, what would you suggest as far as probiotic brands? The ones I've taken over the years have never seemed to make a difference for me… I felt I was doing well with drinking kefir that supposedly has 20 billion per serving but my fridge has been causing kefir to go bad within a day so I really need to get my probiotics elsewhere.

I actually had my hormones tested last November and everything came back normal. I of course worried that that was the problem too. I do think that this whole thing could have been caused (or at least worsened) by my awful "vegetarian" diet so many carbs and not enough fats or proteins. Until the last year or so I ate mainly carbs, and some veggies.

For the last few months (about 3 months) I've been following the "candida diet" minus meats, which is essentially the same as paleolithic diet but even more intense in some ways. I've been at least eating a lot of fish, despite how damn much it costs. I've eaten foods that were cooked with meat and even that made me sick––never mind what my brain wants, but my body itself just doesn't want meat… I don't know how I could do it.
Anyway, I'm concerned that my problem maybe ISN'T yeast at all because the diet (in combination with antifungals) has not made any difference for me! I have not been "cheating" or half-assing it, I've gone at it 100% and I don't think it's helped me… I don't know what to do next.

Last edited by hone; 06-19-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #14
hone
(female)

hone HB User

Thank you ladies for the information on the pads, looking into making or buying them now. Has anyone tried menstrual cups? I've been considering those as well.

Goosewoman, the boric acid didn't burn me at all! I bought it directly from my gynecologist, it came in little suppositories and didn't burn when I put it in or when it came out in the morning. :-)

Now for a little update on my overall state…
After a few weeks of feeling pretty good (not 100% perfect, but definitely good enough) things have started to get uncomfortable again... I'm not sure, but I have a sneaking suspicion that my partner's mouth could be causing or exacerbating this problem for me. Though we've gone long periods of time without having vaginal sex, I don't think we've ever tried eliminating oral sex before.
He went down on me right after my period ended (for the first time in about 3 weeks since I'd been doing the boric acid and then had my period and was trying to free bleed as much as possible)...ever since, things down there have been feeling worse and worse. Not ATROCIOUS but off… and today I'm feeling pretty itchy and just…ugh. It could be a combination of the tampons I used, his mouth, and not being able to do my twice-weekly boric acid while on my period... I don't know. God I just want this to be resolved...

Last edited by hone; 06-20-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #15
misty073
(female)

misty073 HB User

I had what I thought were reoccurring yeast infections for 7 years. I saw different drs tried many different creams and nothing worked, finally I was diagnosed with vulvar-intraepithelial-neoplasia. (VIN). I had no lesions and no visible symptoms just itch. I have now been diagnosed for 4 years and just had more biopsies taken just waiting for the results (I get biopsies about once a year)

Reply Reply

Tags
candida, cytolytic vaginosis, vaginal infections, yeast infection