It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

Vaginal Atrophy, yeast infections and Estrace Cream

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Goosewoman
(female)

Goosewoman HB User
Vaginal Atrophy, yeast infections and Estrace Cream

I was having some bad issues with vaginal burning.Been in menopause for years. I'm 66 now. I went to my family doc because I am avoiding my gyn. I have a pretty badly prolapsed uterus and cervix and all he does is bug me to have it fixed. No thank you. My family doc said it sounded like I had some kind of bacterial vaginosis and prescribed Metrogel. 5 days 2X day. He never examined me, it would have been way too painful. After the 8th Metrogel treatment... burning became severe. Doing research, I realized I didn't have an infection. it was simply atrophy. A few months earlier, I was sore and had been trying various natural lubrication, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil.. nothing had worked. He had given me Estrace vag. cream the year before but I didn't use it. So anyhow, here I am burning so bad, I needed to take Motrin to function. To heal, I called him and got a new scrip for Estrace and had it made at a compounding pharmacy with a more soothing base. NOT propylene glycol. Everything was feeling better in days and then I got a bad yeast infection from the Metrogel. Ran to the drugstore and got OTC monistat cream.. OMG. I was on fire. Like chili peppers in there. Never had anything like it, ever. Used baking soda douche to get it out asap. All along I have been taking Femdophilus and Digestive Advantage. I'm a big believer in probiotics. They didn't help at all. I called my doc and he gave me Fluconazole for the yeast infection. Here I am on Day 5 after taking that and still have intense burning and tons of visible yeast. Stupidly, I never connected the Estrace Cream with a yeast infection. The Estrace didn't cause it..the Metrogel did and Femdophilus couldn't replace the good bacteria fast enough. The trouble now is, the Estrace cream is acting on the yeast like gasoline on a fire. Oy! I don't have any itching, just burning (it's really fun to pee) and everything is inflamed from the yeast. Of course now my entire vaginal area is estrogenized..all nice and plumped up and full of yeast, so no wonder the Fluconazole didn't work. I used 1 g of Estrace 3X while on it. One working against the other. Now I don't know what to do. I just emailed my doc and asked for more Fluconazole but I need to stop the Estrace. I'm just not sure for how long.. I won't take the yeast meds until the Estrace cream is gone. Maybe a week? But it's in the cells now. Plus the prolapse makes everything worse but plugging it all up like a cork in a bottle.lol I'm not really sure what to do. Has anybody ever had this type of situation?? Probably not. Leave it to me to do something stupid like this. Any ideas would be helpful. I thought about Boric Acid vag. capsules for the yeast but I honestly don't want to put anything else up there, it is so messed up now. Not to mention burning like fire. I'm sitting here on my cervix because everything is so swollen, it won't go back where it belongs unless I lay down, which I plan to do right now.
Thank you for reading this big long whiny post..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2014, 05:01 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Vaginal Atrophy, yeast infections and Estrace Cream

I imagine you just have to wait all this out considering what all you've done. You may want to investigate Vagifem. Many women swear by it. I'm on HRT, which I would suggest but have a feeling you might not want to go that route, so I've never tried the Vagifem nor needed it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Goosewoman (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,

I was prescribed "Vagifem" three years ago for dryness and awful irritation.
For me it has worked wonders.
In the beginning I used one pessary twice a week, after a few weeks I found just one a week perfect. No side effects and I can only praise it.
HRT was not necessary for me as I had no other symptoms,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Goosewoman (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
Goosewoman
(female)

Goosewoman HB User

Thanks to you both so much.. I have heard others who like Vagifem. I'll do some research to see if it will cause yeast infections. Does it melt easily? Everything is so dry in there I would be afraid it wouldn't melt and just pop out intact . It would be less messy than the Estrace Cream, that's for sure..The only benefit I see from using the cream is that it makes everything slippery, at least early in the day and that helps the prolapse slide back where it belongs better. I'm just getting ready to go get some Clortrimazole for the yeast. I've heard it doesn't burn like Monistat. I think my Doc is off today, since his nurse hasn't called me with the new Diflucan.. and I need to do something. Let me know your experiences with Vagifem, please?.. If it melts good, I'll ask for that, instead of the cream. The compounded cream is expensive, not covered by insurance, so I was going to have to switch to the pharmacy type with the nasty propylene glycol. ugh Thanks again!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I don't know if Vagifem comes in a cream form.
Mine is a small tablet in an applicator, it is very easy to insert as it is in a very thin like tube.
My guess is it adheres to the wall of the vagina as It has never fallen out that I know of, I guess if it did it wouldn't do it's job and it's doing that alright.
I was bone dry down there when I started mine and it worked within 2 weeks.
I was getting splits in the skin on the outside of the vagina as well as the dryness inside and it healed that as well. Hope this helps,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Goosewoman (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I don't have much to offer besides what the others have already mentioned - Vagifem. And you are aware of boric acid capsules so that may be something to try if all else fails.

As far as the prolapse, have you considered being fitted for a pessary to hold your uterus up? I know most gyns will suggest surgery (usually hysterectomy) so I do not blame you one bit for avoiding gyns. But the proper type and fit pessary will do the job. There is a comprehensive article about pessaries on the American Academy of Family Physicians' website.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
Goosewoman
(female)

Goosewoman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
I don't have much to offer besides what the others have already mentioned - Vagifem. And you are aware of boric acid capsules so that may be something to try if all else fails.

As far as the prolapse, have you considered being fitted for a pessary to hold your uterus up? I know most gyns will suggest surgery (usually hysterectomy) so I do not blame you one bit for avoiding gyns. But the proper type and fit pessary will do the job. There is a comprehensive article about pessaries on the American Academy of Family Physicians' website.

Hope you get some relief soon.
Thanks ST Louisgal.. I have been thinking about a pessary these days. First I might try one of those Sea Sponge types. I never used tampons when I was young because they were so uncomfortable. It was like they pinched, so I was shying away from trying a pessary.Plus all the visits to find one that fits well. My gyno is close to an hour away. Excuses, excuses.. Lol. It's fine in the mornings and just gets pretty low by later in the day. I'm hoping the estrogen will help strengthen the muscles and walls a little and at least keep it pliable.I need to learn some anatomy. I'm sure what I'm seeing is my cervix now, it has a hole in it. It first, it was just a smooth pink thing. The doc said he couldn't see it because I was laying down. Then he started in about sling surgery and a bunch of other stuff. I said no thanks and he said .. You'll be back. Ha! He doesn't know me very well. It has gotten worse since the atrophy got so bad. I was on HRT for years, then a low dose Combi Patch, then my husband lost his job of 36 years and our insurance. Over the past 3 years I must have slowly gotten dried up. It was taking more and more lube to have any sort of sex. As soon as I'm rid of this yeast infection, I should be good to go. Looking into Vagifem. My family doc of 25 years will give it to me. Sounds better than the Estradiol cream. I'm hoping the burning will go away with the yeast.. Right now Aleve is my best friend and it's letting me function normally and keeping the inflammation down. Off to pick up another Fluconazole pill but I am going to try Clotrimazole 3 day first before I take the pill. I don't like taking systemics in case I truly need them in the future. The fluconazole have me a nasty cold sore, so it did something to my immune system that I don't like. I haven't had a cold sore in 25 years. ugh. It is a known side effect and it figures I would get it.
Thanks so much for your reply. You are so knowledgeable about all this stuff!
Goosie

Old 05-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Unfortunately, my over-treatment experience and that of too many other women (unwarranted hysterectomies and oophorectomies) has driven me to become educated about gynecologic problems and treatments.

I hope the vaginal estrogen helps the prolapse, no pessary or surgery needed! If you do decide to try a pessary, maybe you could work with your family physician or find a closer gyn (especially since yours is pushing surgery).

Old 05-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Goosewoman
(female)

Goosewoman HB User

StLouis Gal..
So sorry you had to go through all that. It sounds pretty radical. So many woman are suffering now because of that. Did you have the surgery due to pelvic organ prolapse?
I sure wish they did vaginal transplants Wouldn't that be great?
My Family doc won't examine me if he doesn't have to. I've been going to him for years and we know each other too well. He was relieved when I found a gyno. Maybe he can suggestion someone closer to where I live. I will say, this thing has to heal up a lot more before I let anyone near me with a speculum. Or they knock me out.
Thanks! and glad you are a good researcher..

Old 05-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
jaxton
Inactive
(female)

jaxton HB User

Make sure you get the three or seven day version of the anti-fungal. The one day version is really irritating. I like the Vagifem myself.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:07 AM   #11
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree about the three day version of the Anti-fungal being better.
Also you get a little more dosage in the three day version than the one on it's own,

Solofelix.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:55 AM   #12
Goosewoman
(female)

Goosewoman HB User

Thanks Ladies.. I will never use Monistat ever again, but I researched and found that Gyne-Lotrimin is non burning. Found the 3 day generic at ********'s. Clotrimazole. Used it last night.. No burning! I'm still very sore and I was scared to use it.. But so far, so good. I have a Fluconazole pill as back up. Hope I don't need to use it. I want to get back on the Estrace cream but will have to make sure the yeast is 100% gone. At least now, I have a weapon in case it comes back.
Thanks again, so much!
Goosie

Closed Thread

Tags
atrophy, estrace cream, pelvic organ prolapse, yeast infection