It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board

• Diagnosed CIN3 about to have CKC. Worried.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
    jllyles
    (female)

jllyles HB User
    Post Diagnosed CIN3 about to have CKC. Worried.

Hi, I'm a newbie here. I went for a pap smear November 2013 and results came back abnormal. I was scheduled for a colposcopy and that came back CIN3. I then had a LEEP which confirmed the CIN3 diagnosis and the margins were not clear. I had a consult with my Dr. and he informed me that I needed a cold knife conization. At this point he would have done a hysterectomy (but I want children) I'm only 27. So I'm scheduled for the CKC on June 6. He says if my margins are not clear after the CKC then he recommends a hysterectomy. Has anyone shared this experience? I don't want to have a hysterectomy. I want so badly to have children. I only want to do the hyst. if there are no other options. Any advice, suggestions, experiences would be much appreciated. I'm scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Diagnosed CIN3 about to have CKC. Worried.

I am sorry you are going through this. Please do your research and seek out other opinions (preferably from an oncologist). Do not let fear take over since it can cause us to make misguided and hasty decisions. I have been there and regret not seeking out doctors in another system for other opinions and ended up with an unwarranted hysterectomy for possible ovarian cancer (I did not have cancer - just a benign ovarian cyst).

Hysterectomies are grossly overused. Of course, if you do have CIN3 (errors are possible with biopsies) and multiple treatments do not work, then you may not have a choice. How often did you have pap tests and were they regular before the November 2013 abnormal one? Did they do an HPV test? And if so, did you have one of the high-risk types? Cervical cancer usually takes years to develop from abnormal cells. HPV types 16 and 18 (Group 1) cause 70% of cervical cancers. There are other types / groups that are high risk but Group 1 is the most concerning.

Deep conization can reduce fertility and increase risk for pre-term labor. Cryosurgery is not supposed to have these risks but seems to be used less frequently despite a study showing that its effectiveness is almost as high.

I hope this helps and please keep us posted on how all this goes.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
    jllyles
    (female)

jllyles HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
    I am sorry you are going through this. Please do your research and seek out other opinions (preferably from an oncologist). Do not let fear take over since it can cause us to make misguided and hasty decisions. I have been there and regret not seeking out doctors in another system for other opinions and ended up with an unwarranted hysterectomy for possible ovarian cancer (I did not have cancer - just a benign ovarian cyst).

Hysterectomies are grossly overused. Of course, if you do have CIN3 (errors are possible with biopsies) and multiple treatments do not work, then you may not have a choice. How often did you have pap tests and were they regular before the November 2013 abnormal one? Did they do an HPV test? And if so, did you have one of the high-risk types? Cervical cancer usually takes years to develop from abnormal cells. HPV types 16 and 18 (Group 1) cause 70% of cervical cancers. There are other types / groups that are high risk but Group 1 is the most concerning.

Deep conization can reduce fertility and increase risk for pre-term labor. Cryosurgery is not supposed to have these risks but seems to be used less frequently despite a study showing that its effectiveness is almost as high.

I hope this helps and please keep us posted on how all this goes.
    I had normal paps from 2008-2010 (I had my son in 2010 and had a pap done after the healing period. I wasn't told by my OB/GYN that it was abnormal. I went November 2013 for a pap smear and thats when it came back abnormal...I then had the colposcopy punch biopsy done in March 2014 which indicated CIN 2. I then had a LEEP done April 2014 which then put me at CIN3 and the margins were not clear. So I was told either a hysterectomy or CKC. I opted for the CKC surgery and will be going for that June 6th. I was told that if the margins come back clear from that surgery then I will be on close watch but if the margins come back NOT clear then a possible hysterectomy. I will seek out a second opinion as you've suggested. It can't hurt! Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it very much! I was diagnosed with HPV when I was 17 related to a sexual abuse case...but paps were normal after treatment. Up until now. (I'm 27). So its been about 10 years.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I am sorry to hear about the sexual abuse case and HPV. Postpartum inflammation (and possibly hormonal changes too) can cause abnormal paps but it sounds like you had cleared that postpartum time frame before having that pap. However, regardless, your gyn should have relayed the results to you and done another pap test in 6 months. I hope your treatment is effective while preserving your chances for more children.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
    jllyles
    (female)

jllyles HB User

Thank you so much STLouisgal

Closed Thread

Tags
    cin3, hysterectomy, pregnancy complications